Old June 17th 04, 12:52 AM
Invader3k

Default Looking for inexpensive radio...

I'm sure this topic has been hammered to death before, but I want to
get a radio for my office desk. Something small, probably under $50
US. Want to be able to listen to the major SW bands and AM as well. I
like the Grundig products, but am open to other ideas. I am thinking
of a smaller handheld type which I can use for travel as well.

Thanks,
Mason
Old June 17th 04, 01:01 AM
Radioman390

I'm sure this topic has been hammered to death before, but I want to
get a radio for my office desk. Something small, probably under $50
US. Want to be able to listen to the major SW bands and AM as well.

Big order. Do you realize that without an outdoor antenna there's virtually no
hope of SW broadcasts? The antenna has to be long and high enough to override
the electrical noise generated by office machines, lighting, etc. In fact, AM
band reception my be handicapped as well.

Try Radio Shack because you can return anything as long as you keep every piece
of packaging and don't damage the box and inserts.
Old June 17th 04, 01:13 AM
Fred Garvin

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:52:31 -0700, Invader3k wrote:

I'm sure this topic has been hammered to death before, but I want to
get a radio for my office desk. Something small, probably under $50
US. Want to be able to listen to the major SW bands and AM as well. I
like the Grundig products, but am open to other ideas. I am thinking
of a smaller handheld type which I can use for travel as well.

Thanks,
Mason

$50? *Maybe* used but not new. Plan to spend at least $120 or there abouts
for a decent portable.

Old June 18th 04, 07:13 PM
CW

Everybody wants something for nothing. Add $150.00 to that and there are
choices. Radios in the price range you mentioned are disappointing, to say
the least.

om...

Old June 21st 04, 01:12 AM
Bob Monaghan

Look up DE1102 and KA1102 on google.com for reviews; go to ebay and buy
new DE1102 USA version power supply from some advertisers, starting at
around $36, buy it now is mid $40s, S/H about $15 IIRC, so you will have a
pretty decent new with 1 year warranty SWL radio for ~$50 with S/H etc.

hope this helps - enjoy - bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *