Old June 22nd 04, 06:09 AM
Arthur Pozner

Yes, that is what I have. An updated S350 . But, despite being
plugged in at all times to to 120VAC outlet it still drifts enormously.
I keep a record of frequency displayed over an extended period (several
weeks) versus approximate ambient temperature.Tuning dial is
untouched. At one point it went down a full ... 59 KHz(!!!) from the
original setting. Again,this is
NOT a mechanical drift and is definetely NOT normal. I have a tube
based Grundig type 4570U/stereo table receiver. Though it doesn't posess
a digital frequency readout ,it dosn't seem to drift anywhere near like
a brand spanking S350 does.
BTW both of my Drakes, the R-7 and TR-7 seem to have a relatively
'innocent drift' due to humidity changes ,not temperature variations
affecting the VFO. Drake used to carry a modification kit to cure
that problem,but it was not very serious-1 to 2 Khz in the most extreme
cases. I can live with that. Nobody is perfect.

Old June 22nd 04, 06:57 AM
Mark Keith

Arthur Pozner wrote:
Drake used to carry a modification kit to cure
that problem,but it was not very serious-1 to 2 Khz in the most extreme
cases. I can live with that. Nobody is perfect.

Some are pretty close though...My Kenwood TS-830 using the external PLL
VFO-230 is ultra stable. I mean, you could tune in a ssb station and
listen for MONTHS at a time, and not hear drift. There is also no warmup
drift on that VFO. But the internal L/C VFO in that radio does move a
bit with temp changes. But!, it's VERY linear...If you can keep the temp
stable, the radio will be also. Pretty much the same for my IC-706, as
long as it's in the house, or any fairly stable temp, you won't notice
any drift. You are right about one thing...The drift is thermal, not
mechanical. All l/c type VFO's are prone. The better ones use temp
compensating caps to increase stability. MK
--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k
Old June 22nd 04, 12:14 PM
Pete

"Arthur Pozner" wrote in message
[...]

You can't really compare a $100 portable like the S350 to radios like
Drakes, and others that people mention in this thread.
Pete

GE Superadios for Dummies [ GE Super Radios I - II - III ] RHF Shortwave 9 March 22nd 04 09:37 AM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Latest NEWS 'eton e1 xm' radio (Grundig Satellit 900) from . . . RHF Shortwave 2 February 5th 04 12:19 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM