Old July 6th 04, 04:51 AM
Ph45 Man

Default Help new to this

Hello my Brother has given me a knight start roamer ll that he found at
a garage sale.
It came with copper wire and antenna wire but my question is how far
away from the house do i have to have the wires?
Any help on operation would be a big help please e-mail me or post in
the group.if this is the wrong place for my questions sorry

Wayne

Old July 6th 04, 05:46 AM
GrtPmpkin32

It came with copper wire and antenna wire but my question is how far
away from the house do i have to have the wires?

Just try to get the wire as far in the air and away from the house as possible,
if you have the room. If you don't, even a hank of wire strewn along bush tops
or even around the ceiling of your room will do better than nothing at all. It
doesn't take much to get SOME signals, and it's easier than you think. The Star
Roamer II is not a difficult radio to use, and actually works better on
moderate antennas rather than large, complicated antennas, since it doesn't
handle strong signals as well as other radios (too much antenna sends too much
signal to the radio, which starts to distort audio, or mix signals and have
'images' of strong stations superimposed over frequencies far removed from the
actual frequencies those signals are supposed to occupy)... so if you can't get
a huge amount of wire up in the clear air, you're actually in better shape than
you'd think! Mostly, have fun!
Linus
Old July 6th 04, 06:04 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Ph45 Man wrote:
Hello my Brother has given me a knight start roamer ll that he found at
a garage sale.
It came with copper wire and antenna wire but my question is how far
away from the house do i have to have the wires?

The further, the better. But when I had one (it was my first shortwave
radio, when I was something like nine years old!) we just suspended the
wire from the eaves on a couple of TV leadin insulators (maybe 3" long)
and it worked fine.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66