RadioBanter

-   -   Degen portables - Continuous cov'g? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/43674-degen-portables-continuous-covg.html)

Carl - w5su July 11th 04 10:30 PM

Degen portables - Continuous cov'g?

I've stumbled upon adds for a couple cheap portable shortwave receivers
that are appealing 'cause they are small, capable of receiving SSB, and
have digital readout. These are Chinese imports made by Degen(?) with
one labelled "Kaito" for American importing. The Degen or Kaito Models
1102 are described as covering 3.0 - 29.999 MHz, continuously (I think).

The newer model 1103 is stated to cover 100-29999KHz, but it's unclear
as to whether the coverage is continuous. Looking at the photo, there
are columns which designate the shortwave broadcast bands, but not clear
whether there are gaps inbetween. Is anybody out there familiar with
the Degen 1103 who can tell me if it has CONTINUOUS coverage from
100-29999 KHZ?

MANY thanks!

Carl - w5su
Dallas TX

Stephan Grossklass July 11th 04 11:18 PM

Carl - w5su schrieb:

I've stumbled upon adds for a couple cheap portable shortwave receivers
that are appealing 'cause they are small, capable of receiving SSB, and
have digital readout. These are Chinese imports made by Degen(?) with
one labelled "Kaito" for American importing. The Degen or Kaito Models
1102 are described as covering 3.0 - 29.999 MHz, continuously (I think).

The newer model 1103 is stated to cover 100-29999KHz, but it's unclear
as to whether the coverage is continuous. Looking at the photo, there
are columns which designate the shortwave broadcast bands, but not clear
whether there are gaps inbetween. Is anybody out there familiar with
the Degen 1103 who can tell me if it has CONTINUOUS coverage from
100-29999 KHZ?

As far as I remember the discussion in the respective Yahoo! Group, the
DE1103 does indeed cover the whole spectrum (including LW, for example);
just the simulated analog dial does not show a "pointer" when tuning
around outside its ranges. Apparently a nice little rig with good
reception and few flaws (the digital volume control is one of them).
Something which might bother me is that the sideband in SSB seems fixed
to LSB below 10 MHz and USB above. OK, this isn't quite the receiver for
regular ute listening, but still...

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Duncan Ross July 13th 04 02:17 PM

Got the DE1103, it is continuous from 100-29999KHz althouth the display pointer
only appears when you are using frequencies covered by the table. There is a
DE1103 yahoo group if you need more info. BTW I've just sold my Sony ICF-SW55
since my DE1103 wipes the floor with it on whip, 'nuff said..?

Michael Bryant July 13th 04 09:28 PM

From: ercial (Duncan Ross)

BTW I've just sold my Sony ICF-SW55
since my DE1103 wipes the floor with it on whip, 'nuff said..?

Yep, just got my DE1102, yesterday. Absolutely incredible sensitivity off the
whip! How do they do it?

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A,
Degen 1102, GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nospam" to reply)

dxAce July 13th 04 09:32 PM

From: ercial (Duncan Ross)

BTW I've just sold my Sony ICF-SW55
since my DE1103 wipes the floor with it on whip, 'nuff said..?

Yep, just got my DE1102, yesterday. Absolutely incredible sensitivity off the
whip! How do they do it?

They probably start off with the attitude that they're not going to lie...

Carl - w5su July 14th 04 04:42 AM

....so which one should I go for - - 1102 or 1103?

/Carl

Telamon July 14th 04 06:57 AM

In article ,
ospam (Michael Bryant) wrote:

From:
ercial (Duncan Ross)

BTW I've just sold my Sony ICF-SW55 since my DE1103 wipes the floor
with it on whip, 'nuff said..?

Yep, just got my DE1102, yesterday. Absolutely incredible sensitivity
off the whip! How do they do it?

For you it's easy. Just use your imagination.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California