Old July 11th 04, 10:30 PM
Carl - w5su

Default Degen portables - Continuous cov'g?

I've stumbled upon adds for a couple cheap portable shortwave receivers
that are appealing 'cause they are small, capable of receiving SSB, and
have digital readout. These are Chinese imports made by Degen(?) with
one labelled "Kaito" for American importing. The Degen or Kaito Models
1102 are described as covering 3.0 - 29.999 MHz, continuously (I think).

The newer model 1103 is stated to cover 100-29999KHz, but it's unclear
as to whether the coverage is continuous. Looking at the photo, there
are columns which designate the shortwave broadcast bands, but not clear
whether there are gaps inbetween. Is anybody out there familiar with
the Degen 1103 who can tell me if it has CONTINUOUS coverage from
100-29999 KHZ?

MANY thanks!

Carl - w5su
Dallas TX

Old July 11th 04, 11:18 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Carl - w5su schrieb:

I've stumbled upon adds for a couple cheap portable shortwave receivers
that are appealing 'cause they are small, capable of receiving SSB, and
have digital readout. These are Chinese imports made by Degen(?) with
one labelled "Kaito" for American importing. The Degen or Kaito Models
1102 are described as covering 3.0 - 29.999 MHz, continuously (I think).

The newer model 1103 is stated to cover 100-29999KHz, but it's unclear
as to whether the coverage is continuous. Looking at the photo, there
are columns which designate the shortwave broadcast bands, but not clear
whether there are gaps inbetween. Is anybody out there familiar with
the Degen 1103 who can tell me if it has CONTINUOUS coverage from
100-29999 KHZ?

As far as I remember the discussion in the respective Yahoo! Group, the
DE1103 does indeed cover the whole spectrum (including LW, for example);
just the simulated analog dial does not show a "pointer" when tuning
around outside its ranges. Apparently a nice little rig with good
reception and few flaws (the digital volume control is one of them).
Something which might bother me is that the sideband in SSB seems fixed
to LSB below 10 MHz and USB above. OK, this isn't quite the receiver for
regular ute listening, but still...

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
Old July 13th 04, 02:17 PM
Duncan Ross

Got the DE1103, it is continuous from 100-29999KHz althouth the display pointer
only appears when you are using frequencies covered by the table. There is a
DE1103 yahoo group if you need more info. BTW I've just sold my Sony ICF-SW55
since my DE1103 wipes the floor with it on whip, 'nuff said..?

Degen 1102: fantastic Mr. Anathem Shortwave 15 March 20th 04 10:14 AM
Why I chosen Degen over Kaito Corbin Ray Shortwave 8 March 8th 04 11:35 PM
Degen 1102 arrived today!!!!! Corbin Ray Shortwave 47 March 2nd 04 08:40 AM
Degen DE1103 Corbin Ray Shortwave 2 February 29th 04 03:05 PM
() Degen shortwave radios from China Daniel Rosenzweig Shortwave 7 August 5th 03 10:51 AM