Old July 13th 04, 05:48 PM
Dukester

Default Filtering bleed-over?

Apologies to both groups if I'm in the wrong NG's. I am looking for help in
trying to receive my favorite radio station that is only 30 miles away on FM
102.3. About 6 months ago, another station started broadcasting on 102.1 in
a major city about 100 miles away. All I receive now is a warbled
distortion of the new station on my local station frequency.

I've tried different radio receivers in my car with no luck. Is there any
kind of filter or other device to help receive my old favorite?

--
Cheers!
Duke

Old July 13th 04, 09:42 PM
Richard

You will have to buy an Fm tuner, but the type that has a selectable "IF
bandwidth" (wide narrow, super narrow) such as the Kenwood KT 6040. I had
the same problem, but getting the 6040 was the cure for me

Richard

Old July 13th 04, 09:42 PM
Scott Dorsey

Dukester wrote:
Apologies to both groups if I'm in the wrong NG's. I am looking for help in
trying to receive my favorite radio station that is only 30 miles away on FM
102.3. About 6 months ago, another station started broadcasting on 102.1 in
a major city about 100 miles away. All I receive now is a warbled
distortion of the new station on my local station frequency.

I've tried different radio receivers in my car with no luck. Is there any
kind of filter or other device to help receive my old favorite?

Does it have to be in your car? The real solution for this is a directional
antenna combined with a good receiver. Directional antennas are not
practical in the car.
--scott

Old July 14th 04, 03:29 PM
Pete KE9OA

Another cure is to change the I.F. filters in your radio to those of a
narrower bandwidth. The stock filters are probably either 230 or 280Khz
bandwidth. If you change them to 150kHz filters (CF of 10.7MHz), your
adjacent channel selectivity will improve quite a bit. If you really
want super selectivity, you can install 110kHz filters............be
advised, though, that the more selective filters have a higher insertion
loss, and with the narrower bandwidth, both your distortion and your
stereo separation will be degraded.

Pete