Old July 14th 04, 07:32 AM
Jim

Default HF - So much space, so little usage

Except for few ranges, most bands don't have any activities at all. I
think HF spectrum is underutilized. Or is it my receiver/antenna
that's not picking up signals? What is your opinion/experience?
Old July 14th 04, 10:55 AM
BeeLee U

I assume you refer to HF which was largely abandoned
by commercial services during the 90's for satellite
and other higher-frequency based modes. HF does
not readily lend itself to new digital modes, thus the general
vacancy therin.

om...

Old July 14th 04, 11:30 AM
Richard

Er, well, there is a lot! Do you have a "nirma; SW radio or a communications
type receiver with SSB?

See http://www.aoruk.com/guide/g6.htm#4 for SW band plan

Richard, Poland
om...

Old July 15th 04, 07:30 AM
Jim

I'm currently using Sony ICF-2010 with 10 ft. long antenna attached to
it's whip. Maybe I need to invest in some expensive receiver/antenna
to hear more. Time to graduate from just listening SW broadcast
transmissions.

Old July 15th 04, 06:45 PM
John S.

(Jim) wrote in message . com...
I'm currently using Sony ICF-2010 with 10 ft. long antenna attached to
it's whip. Maybe I need to invest in some expensive receiver/antenna
to hear more. Time to graduate from just listening SW broadcast
transmissions.

Well, there is still quite a bit to hear, but you have to be listening
at the right time and right place. Assuming you are not listening
from inside a steel or concrete building, with your radio using just
the whip antenna you should be able to hear plenty.

In addition to the usual broadcast bands, try listening to the ham
bands in ssb. Try 7.1 to 7.4mhz, 14.1to 14.4mhz and 21 to 21.4mhz
during the day. During the evening try 3.5 to 3.9mhz, around 1.8 mhz.

Also try the tropical bands from 4.5 to 5.0mhz.

And try 8.8 to 9.0 mhz in the early evening for hf broadcasts from
transcontinental passenger aircraft.

If you are on the east coast of the U.S., Radio Australia comes in on
9580 without extending the whip antenna.

The activity on shortwave has declined, no doubt. So-called untility
or digital broadcasts were once plentiful but are for the most part
gone to satellite. A few major shortwave broadcasters have pulled the
plug. While the handwriting is on the wall for the long term, there
are still lots of broadcasts to hear. Hams are interesting to listen
to, especially those from other areas. The 21mhz ham band can be
really interesting in the afternoon. As the hobby matures, the
activity on the hams bands is not near what it once was. But again
there is still a lot to hear.

At night use the MW band to try for some out of area AM broadcast
stations. The 2010 does a fine job there.

And finally, use the AIR band on that 2010 to scan local airport
frequencies.

John

The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
Ham radio-carrying rocket hopes to reach space May 17 Leland C. Scott CB 67 May 18th 04 05:12 PM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1367 – October 24 2003 Radionews Shortwave 0 October 26th 03 08:40 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1367 – October 24 2003 Radionews Policy 0 October 26th 03 08:39 AM
Amateur Radio Newsline™ Report 1367 – October 24 2003 Radionews Dx 0 October 26th 03 08:37 AM