Old July 15th 04, 08:43 AM
John Plimmer

Default JCR NRD-545, or something else?

I don't know what your primary use for this receiver will be?
The most serious DXer's I know mainly use AOR7030+ (there are many in NZ)
Two of my friends have sold on their 545's and rebought 7030+
The audio of the 545 is not up to the 7030 or Drake R8B
The 7030+ is very quirky to operate, that is why I bought a R8B.
The R8B gives me superb very long distance/low power reception of the rarest
and faintest of stations.
If money was no object, I would own both a R8B and a 7030+, the Drake for
listening to BBC proms and the 7030 for serious DX.
If I won the Lotto I would buy a Rohde & Schwartz or a Racal

South 33 d 47 m 540 s, East 20 d 07 m 541 s.
RX Drake R8B, SW8
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

From: "Mark"
Subject: JCR NRD-545, or something else?
Date: Thursday, 15 July, 2004 00:34

Hi...

I'm (still) contemplating purchase of an NRD-545 DSP receiver.

Overall, I'm pretty happy to go with this radio from all that I've read.
I'll be importing this into New Zealand myself, from Tokyo. So I won't get a
chance to play with the radio, or even see it first.

If you had a budget for the NRD-545, is this what you would buy? Anybody out
there with experience of several different receivers of this class? (Perhaps
IC-R75, AOR 7030 Plus, Drake R8B etc.).

I've read of the quirks of the NRD-545, like "monkey chatter" etc. But the
overall impression I'm left with is that it is still a very good radio.

Any other radios I should be considering, in your opinion/experience?

Thanks,
Mark.