RadioBanter

-   -   Air America Ratings continue to decline (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/43758-air-america-ratings-continue-decline.html)

Mark S. Holden July 16th 04 04:40 PM

Air America Ratings continue to decline

Hi

Air America ratings continue to drop - they had a 2.2 share in April, a 1.7 in May, and a 1.2 in June. (from Drudge)

At this rate, they could have lower ratings than Profit Stare by October.

dxAce July 16th 04 05:05 PM

"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Hi

Air America ratings continue to drop - they had a 2.2 share in April, a 1.7 in May, and a 1.2 in June. (from Drudge)

In addition to that, Rush has a 4.8 share vs. Air America's 1.7 share in NYC.

At this rate, they could have lower ratings than Profit Stare by October.

Burr July 16th 04 05:14 PM

Do you listen to Rush?

--
Burr

Vote "RIGHT"
Vote Republican

T. Early July 16th 04 05:23 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Hi

Air America ratings continue to drop - they had a 2.2 share in

April, a 1.7 in May, and a 1.2 in June. (from Drudge)

In addition to that, Rush has a 4.8 share vs. Air America's 1.7

share in NYC.

And that's the margin in one of the most liberal cities in the
country. But the left has plenty of other outlets to hear their views
aired, so AirAmerica, in some ways, is also competing against NPR, the
major dailys, and non-Fox News television.

Diverd4777 July 16th 04 06:11 PM

- Looked; couldn't find any source.

I think their best shows are " Morning Sedition" with the schtick
about the " Presidential Palm Pilot"
the daily " Liberal Agenda" faxed in from the Streisand Coumpound
and
" Recovery Corner"
( where mark is Reaching out to fellow Alcoholic Brother George Bush)

*Bend your mind before you bend your elbow
Anger is one letter away from Danger.*

and Randi Rhodes. in the afternoon.

400

dxAce July 16th 04 06:47 PM

Burr wrote:

Do you listen to Rush?

Sure do. Listening right now.

dxAce

dxAce July 16th 04 06:50 PM

Diverd4777 wrote:

- Looked; couldn't find any source.

Have Soames123 or Chandler7600 look it up for you!

Burr July 16th 04 07:06 PM

"dxAce" wrote in message

Burr wrote:

Do you listen to Rush?

Sure do. Listening right now.

dxAce

Love you BUT, you got to much time on your hands.

--
Burr

Vote "RIGHT"
Vote Republican

Brian Hill July 16th 04 08:19 PM

"Burr" wrote in message

"dxAce" wrote in message

Burr wrote:

Do you listen to Rush?

Sure do. Listening right now.

dxAce

Love you BUT, you got to much time on your hands.

--
Burr

Vote "RIGHT"
Vote Republican

Do you like Rush Burr?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

nojunk@this_address.com (Mike Pearson July 16th 04 10:40 PM

dxAce wrote:

In addition to that, Rush has a 4.8 share vs. Air America's 1.7 share in NYC.

This just may have something to do with all the free advertising Rush
gets. Every time I start my car, a little light on the dash goes on:

"Airbag"

--
Mike
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627

dxAce July 16th 04 10:45 PM

"Mike Pearson " wrote:

dxAce wrote:

In addition to that, Rush has a 4.8 share vs. Air America's 1.7 share in NYC.

This just may have something to do with all the free advertising Rush
gets. Every time I start my car, a little light on the dash goes on:

"Airbag"

I used to see one referring to the Clintons: Twin Airbags

dxAce

Burr July 17th 04 12:16 AM

I don't dislike him, I just don't have time to listen to him.

--
Burr

Vote "RIGHT"
Vote Republican

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

dxAce July 17th 04 12:18 AM

Burr wrote:

I don't dislike him, I just don't have time to listen to him.

Run a tape, Cuzz.

--
Burr

Vote "RIGHT"
Vote Republican

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

Tom Betz July 17th 04 02:03 PM

Quoth dxAce in :

In addition to that, Rush has a 4.8 share vs. Air America's 1.7 share in
NYC.

12+ ratings are meaningless to advertisers. The demo most followed is 25-54.

From http://musicradio.computer.net/wwwboard/messages/238604.html,
normally a reliable source for such things:

Ratings for 10-3:
25-54 WABC 2.7 WLIB 2.2

Ratings for 3-7:
25-54 WABC 3.1 WLIB 2.2

So as you can see, WLIB (a 30,000 watt station with a not-so-great signal) is
doing quite respectably against the WABC 50,000 watt powerhouse in the 25-54
demo, considering that the rating is for only its second month carrying the
new format. Considering that Clear Channel, not known to tolerate money-
losing formats, just this week put Air America (basically the same schedule
they have had great success with on Portland OR's KPOJ) on its Miami WINZ, I
think we can safely say that reports of Air America's demise have been
greatly exaggerated.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these

dxAce July 17th 04 02:40 PM

Quoth dxAce in :

From http://musicradio.computer.net/wwwboard/messages/238604.html,
normally a reliable source for such things:

Ratings for 10-3:
25-54 WABC 2.7 WLIB 2.2

Ratings for 3-7:
25-54 WABC 3.1 WLIB 2.2

So as you can see, WLIB (a 30,000 watt station with a not-so-great signal) is
doing quite respectably against the WABC 50,000 watt powerhouse in the 25-54
demo, considering that the rating is for only its second month carrying the
new format. Considering that Clear Channel, not known to tolerate money-
losing formats, just this week put Air America (basically the same schedule
they have had great success with on Portland OR's KPOJ) on its Miami WINZ, I
think we can safely say that reports of Air America's demise have been
greatly exaggerated.

Personally, I'd trust Drudge's figures before I'd trust some stats on a message
board.

dxAce

Brian Hill July 17th 04 03:59 PM

"Burr" wrote in message
I don't dislike him, I just don't have time to listen to him.

--
Burr

Vote "RIGHT"
Vote Republican

I don't agree with everything but a lot of what he says is right on.

Brian

Tom Betz July 19th 04 03:34 PM

dxAce wrote in :
Personally, I'd trust Drudge's figures before I'd trust some stats on
a message board.

There's no accounting for bad taste.

Drudge reported only the 12+ demo.

--
|I always wanted to be someone,| Tom Betz, Generalist |
|but now I think I should have | Want to send me email? |

David July 19th 04 06:10 PM

Al Franken claims they are the #2 talker in NYC and that Bill O'Reilly
is in the ****ter.

Tom Betz July 19th 04 08:18 PM

dxAce wrote in :
Personally, I'd trust Drudge's figures before I'd trust some stats on
a message board.

There's no accounting for bad taste.

Claudia Perry, who posted at that URL I gave, writes on radio for the
Newark Star-Ledger.

Drudge reported only the 12+ demo -- Claudia gave the whole story.

dxAce July 19th 04 08:23 PM

Tom Betz wrote:

dxAce wrote in :
Personally, I'd trust Drudge's figures before I'd trust some stats on
a message board.

There's no accounting for bad taste.

Claudia Perry, who posted at that URL I gave, writes on radio for the
Newark Star-Ledger.

Drudge reported only the 12+ demo -- Claudia gave the whole story.

You just can't stop whining, can you?

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

dxAce

Tom Betz July 19th 04 08:47 PM

dxAce wrote in :

You just can't stop whining, can you?

What exactly is it that you are afraid of?

If not fear, what is it that drives you to counter factual information
with ad-hominems? You only damage your own credibility with such
childish behavior.

Here's another bit of factual information for you.

From http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=8414:

Air America soars to No. 2 in talk

Air America, the liberal talk-radio network that launched at the
end of March on WLIB-AM, has landed in second place in the New
York talk arena, its 1.7 share in the 25-to-54 demographic
beating rival WOR’s 1.0 share, according to the spring Arbitron
report.

YpsiMan July 20th 04 12:15 AM

Left or Right?

Which is the one TRUE political path?

Brian Hill July 20th 04 12:33 AM

"YpsiMan" wrote in message
om...
Left or Right?

Which is the one TRUE political path?

independant!

Stinger July 20th 04 01:02 AM

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...
dxAce wrote in :
Personally, I'd trust Drudge's figures before I'd trust some stats on
a message board.

There's no accounting for bad taste.

Drudge reported only the 12+ demo.

--
|I always wanted to be someone,| Tom Betz, Generalist |
|but now I think I should have | Want to send me email? |
|been a wee bit more specific. | http://tinyurl.com/ps2u |

Oh, well there's a bit of hope for you! So then Air America won the
12-and-under demo?

-- Stinger

Tom Betz July 20th 04 01:20 AM

Quoth "Stinger" in news:UhZKc.407$NQ5.156
@bignews4.bellsouth.net:

So then Air America won the
12-and-under demo?

See http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=8414.

Tom Betz July 20th 04 01:33 AM

Quoth "T. Early" in news:40f800e1$0$10390
:

And that's the margin in one of the most liberal cities in the
country.

.... on a 30kW (daytime) signal at 1190 kHz, as opposed to a 50 kW (24/7)
signal at 770 kHz.

WLIB's signal gets pretty crappy pretty quickly as you move toward the
burbs. It's even difficult to pick up in much of Manhattan. WABC stays
quite powerful all over town.

Compare http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?
call=WABC&service=AM&status=L&hours=D side by side with
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?
call=WLIB&service=AM&status=L&hours=D to see the relative difference
between the number 1 and number 2 AM talk stations -- note the difference
in scale when comparing the two.

Then look at http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?
call=WOR&service=AM&status=C&hours=D to see what the number 3 AM talk
station has for a signal pattern. (Radio-locator.com is not a definitive
reference as to where you might or might not be able to pick up a signal;
but I've found that for making relative comparisons among stations'
signals, it's fairly useful.)

No, transmitter power doesn't make all the difference, but it certainly
matters; it's just one more obstacle that WLIB's three-month-old Air
America programming is overcoming.

Diverd4777 July 20th 04 01:41 AM

In article , "Stinger"
writes:

Oh, well there's a bit of hope for you! So then Air America won the
12-and-under demo?

-- Stinger

- Let's try this again...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?new...bt=Air+America

Air America soars to No. 2 in talk

Posted on 07/19/2004 - A Web-only article from NewYorkBusiness.com

Air America, the liberal talk-radio network that launched at the end of March
on WLIB-AM, has landed in second place in the New York talk arena.

Air America, the liberal talk-radio network that launched at the end of March
on WLIB-AM, has landed in second place in the New York talk arena, its 1.7
share in the 25-to-54 demographic beating rival WOR’s 1.0 share, according to
the spring Arbitron report.

WOR’s hosts include conservatives Bill O’Reilly and Bob Grant.

WLIB trailed AM-radio leader WABC, whose hosts include Rush Limbaugh. It had a
2.3 share in the demographic.
Copyright 2004, Crain Communications, Inc

~~~~~~~

IMHO, " Morning Sedition " ( 6 A.M - 9 A.M. ) and Randi Rhodes ( Afternoon)
are quite informative & entertaining...

Have a little Sangean DT-110 I use on Long Morning Walks,
( Trying for 4+ miles / day; - ~ 10,000 Steps, Doctors suggestion / orders )

Found the best thing to listen to in NYC at that hour is 1190 A.M.; WLIB
" Air America.".
( Presidential Palm Pilot, Liberal Agenda & '"Recovery Corner" are all good
bits)

710 WOR ( Dull) 1130 WBBR ( Financial stuff) 880 +1010 ( all Hideous news)
WBGO 88.3 F.M Jazz 88 ( Jazz ! ! ) & WNYC 820 ( Talk, Talk, Talk )
are alternatives, and I flip through most of them , esp when one starts in with
another set of Commericials .
" Air America" has Quite a few commercials, ( Unfortunatly )
indicating someone is selling their demographics to sponsors,
who are getting on board...

Dan / NYC

Tom Betz July 20th 04 01:45 AM

Quoth David in news:530of0pvrbd8mkbpoqlj7l7df88jmic4bk@
4ax.com:

Al Franken claims they are the #2 talker in NYC and that Bill O'Reilly
is in the ****ter.

So says Arbitron, if you look (as the advertisers do) at the 25-54 demo.

T. Early July 20th 04 02:07 AM

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...
Quoth David in

4ax.com:

Al Franken claims they are the #2 talker in NYC and that Bill

O'Reilly
is in the ****ter.

So says Arbitron, if you look (as the advertisers do) at the 25-54

demo.

See http://www.crainsny.com/news.cms?newsId=8414.

I do not find this surprising. Just on a rough guess, what would you
think would be the ratio of potential liberal to conservative
listeners in NYC? As the song goes, if AirAmerica can't make it in
New York, it can't make it anywhere.....er, well, maybe San Francisco.

Tom Betz July 20th 04 03:37 AM

Quoth "-=jd=-" in
:

True - If they play their cards right, they *should* be #1 in NYC.

They'd have to add about 20kW to the 30 kW WLIB transmitter to have a fair
shot at #1.

#2 ain't bad for three months. Let's see whether they can hold onto

it.

I'm not that familiar with the New York AM market--that's #2 in 25-54
out of 3 -talk- stations, correct? As opposed to #2 overall on AM.
And with all respect to your well-taken point regarding the
transmitter, there is still a huge disproportion of liberals to
conservatives all over NYC--a huge built in market that should
minimize any transmitter issues.

dxAce July 20th 04 01:08 PM

Tom Betz wrote:

Quoth "T. Early" in news:40fc8e47$0$5635
:

I'm not that familiar with the New York AM market--that's #2 in 25-54
out of 3 -talk- stations, correct?

Correct.

But Rush is still #1, right?

Please don't give me a whiny answer.

dxAce July 20th 04 02:19 PM

"T. Early" wrote:

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. ..
Quoth "-=jd=-" in
:

#2 ain't bad for three months. Let's see whether they can hold onto

it.

I'm not that familiar with the New York AM market--that's #2 in 25-54
out of 3 -talk- stations, correct? As opposed to #2 overall on AM.
And with all respect to your well-taken point regarding the
transmitter, there is still a huge disproportion of liberals to
conservatives all over NYC--a huge built in market that should
minimize any transmitter issues.

Some Arbitron ratings I just looked at placed WLIB 24th in the NYC market.

dxAce

Tom Betz July 20th 04 02:41 PM

Quoth dxAce in :

Some Arbitron ratings I just looked at placed WLIB 24th in the NYC market.

In the 12+ demo, 24th overall. But there aren't a lot of talk stations in
NYC.

http://radioandrecords.com/RRRatings...4&RY=2004&RQ=2
&MP=0&OTHER=2&MN=New%20York&MS=NY&MR=1&12P=1534000 0&UP=7/16/2004&SU=CM&BPER=
17.5&HPER=19.1&OPER=&NSD=8/23/2004&CE=0 aka http://tinyurl.com/6wb69 is a
readily available source for the most recently published 12+ ratings. It
also shows the breakdown of station owners and format.

David Eduardo July 20th 04 04:13 PM

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...
Quoth "T. Early" in news:40fc8e47$0$5635
:

I'm not that familiar with the New York AM market--that's #2 in 25-54
out of 3 -talk- stations, correct?

Correct.

No, it is also behind WFAN, a sports talker and WADO, a Spanish talker. Make
that #4 out of 5.

David Eduardo July 20th 04 04:14 PM

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...
Quoth dxAce in :

Some Arbitron ratings I just looked at placed WLIB 24th in the NYC
market.

In the 12+ demo, 24th overall. But there aren't a lot of talk stations in
NYC.

770, 620, 1280, 1050, 1190, 710 are all talk. Sports talk is also talk.

Tom Betz July 20th 04 04:25 PM

Quoth "David Eduardo" in news:oFaLc.24234$bj2.733
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

Sports talk is also talk.

It's a whole different breed of talk, but I'll be happy to accept your
judgement for discussion purposes.

Tom Betz July 20th 04 04:31 PM

Quoth "David Eduardo" in news:uGaLc.24235$7j2.20103
@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
. 70...
Quoth "T. Early" in news:40f800e1$0$10390
:

And that's the margin in one of the most liberal cities in the
country.

... on a 30kW (daytime) signal at 1190 kHz, as opposed to a 50 kW (24/7)
signal at 770 kHz.

WLIB is fulltime.

Yes, I was unclear in my expression; I meant to state their daytime power,
which covers the ratings time periods under discussion.

I see that I mistakenly gave the nighttime power (30 kW) for the daytime
power (really 10 kW, according to radio-locator.com).

Which makes their daytime ratings compared with the 50 kW WABC and WOR even
more impressive.