Old July 18th 04, 06:04 PM
Herb G

Default Recommendations? Small Int'l SW Broadcast radio?

Hello,

I would appreciate any inputs regarding a good radio to buy that is
small for travel, covers the international SW broadcast spectrum, as
well as standard AM, Fm, and has good sensitivity. Sound quality is
not important.

Thank you for any inputs.

Herb G.

Old July 18th 04, 06:17 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Herb G wrote:
Hello,

I would appreciate any inputs regarding a good radio to buy that is
small for travel, covers the international SW broadcast spectrum, as
well as standard AM, Fm, and has good sensitivity. Sound quality is
not important.

Thank you for any inputs.

Herb G.

I've had a Tecsun PL-200 (similar to Grudig YB550 I think)
bought from an ebay dealer for about $50 inclding shipping.

Except to the tinny sound it's great. I currently have a CCcrane
Plus radio and it pulls in just about all the same AM/FM
stations. Till recently I had a Grundig Satellit 700 here, and this
picks up at least as many stations, although because the audio isn't
as good, some can't be understood. Earphones sound a little better.

It came with a neat little traveling longwire antenna with a clip that
connects to the whip. There is no other way to connect an antenna.

2 AA batteries, 10oz loaded. In a month of occasional
listening the battery-usage scale is still at 100%.

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old July 18th 04, 07:58 PM
Sanjaya

"Herb G" wrote...
Hello,

I would appreciate any inputs regarding a good radio to buy that is
small for travel, covers the international SW broadcast spectrum, as
well as standard AM, Fm, and has good sensitivity. Sound quality is
not important.

Thank you for any inputs.

Herb G.

As noted by Al and Michael, the Tecsun PL-200 and Degen 1102/1103
are great radios for the money. If you don't need SSB go with the PL-200.
Full coverage, fits in a large pocket and has an antenna gain switch that makes it even better.
The sound from the speaker is pretty good too, considering it's small size.
Al called the sound "tinny", but I've heard worse. The 200 is very listenable,
I would recommend buying from eBay seller Liypn. I've purchased 3 radios from him,
all arrived in 6-7 days from shipping. He takes PayPal only.
http://stores.ebay.com/V-COM-COLLECTIONS

Old July 19th 04, 03:38 AM

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 13:04:31 -0400, Herb G
wrote:

Hello,

I would appreciate any inputs regarding a good radio to buy that is
small for travel, covers the international SW broadcast spectrum, as
well as standard AM, Fm, and has good sensitivity. Sound quality is
not important.

Thank you for any inputs.

Herb G.

I own both the Grundig 550 and the Degen 1102. If you want a portable
that is easy to carry and takes up little room and preforms very well,
pick the Degen 1102. This is my choice. I perfer it to the Grundig
550. You can get in on Ebay for about $70.00 including shipping. If
money is not a problem, the best truly small SW radio in my opnion is
the Sony SW100, I have had mine for two or three years and it is a
great travel radio, but it is expensive.
Old July 19th 04, 09:45 PM
Beloved Leader

Herb G wrote in message ...
Hello,

... good radio to buy that is
small for travel, covers the international SW broadcast spectrum, as
well as standard AM, Fm,

Same answer every time. The DX-399. Whoops, they're discontinued, but
they are still available as the Sangean ATS606AP.

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with any of the new, small Chinese-made
radios that are currently flooding the market. They might be better
than a DX-399 for your purposes. (The DX-399 is Chinese-made too.) All
I know is that, of all my radios, the one I would choose for a
backpacking/bicycle/motorcycle/Eurail/car tour of Europe or across the
US would be the DX-399.

It is the size of a paperback book, so you can jam it into a backpack.
The most useful feature of the DX-399 is its multiple-voltage
wallwart. It doesn't care whether you give it 110 volts or 220 volts.
It also comes with the adapter plug for Euro sockets. I don't know of
any other radio that is so equipped.

I do not know if the Sangean came equipped with a multiple-voltage
transformer, but you can buy that part from RS and use it on a
Sangean.

I'd buy another DX-399 in a heartbeat.
Old July 19th 04, 10:20 PM
Diverd4777

I Also have a Sangean 606A; - which goes everywhere I travel.
fairly rugged too; I just run it off Batteries & use headphones to increase
battery life
Hooked up to a SONY AN-LP-1 It is Awesome..
Basically use it as a " Base Station", leaving it in the hotel room

& am looking into a shirt pocket set ( Tecsun PL-200 )
for use whilst wandering around this locale..

I also have a Jwin JX M14 digital display analogue tuning shirt pocket set;
- No memories, SSB or rugged front end
for $15 Bucks, you get your moneys worth.. .
Fun on the cheap.
If you're travelling where thing " dissappear" this is the one to get.

Dan / NYC

Old July 20th 04, 01:07 AM
Stinger

wrote:

Hello,

I would appreciate any inputs regarding a good radio to buy that is
small for travel, covers the international SW broadcast spectrum, as
well as standard AM, Fm, and has good sensitivity. Sound quality is
not important.

Thank you for any inputs.

Herb G.

I own both the Grundig 550 and the Degen 1102. If you want a portable
that is easy to carry and takes up little room and preforms very well,
pick the Degen 1102. This is my choice. I perfer it to the Grundig
550. You can get in on Ebay for about $70.00 including shipping. If
money is not a problem, the best truly small SW radio in my opnion is
the Sony SW100, I have had mine for two or three years and it is a
great travel radio, but it is expensive.

If money is no object, your choice is clear -- Sony ICF-SW07.

-- Stinger