Old July 21st 04, 02:45 AM
Diverd4777

Default Junk Radio DX'ing on a Summers afternoon

- So I'm walking around with my Jwin JX m14.
Stuffed in my new grey pocket "T" shirt .

It's Summer, and its afternoon, heading toward 3:00 P.M.,
and the sun is taking it's toll.

So I sit, on a nice bench,on a nice high place, with a nice view
All the rain has made the trees real green & shaggy.
and after sittin a spell,
I take out a ten foot hank of Black Rat Shack wire, with an alligator clip on
each end.
Sit the receiver down, plug in the earphones & turn it on.
12.095.. faint voices, & Satic..
Hook up the 10 foot antenna, hook one end to the whip, throw the other end over
a stone wall.
Try again.
Voila!! Ascension Island BBC , with the News.
on ~12.095.
The view is of blue sky and green leaves, and white fluffy clouds..
And the rest, Not moving, just listening to the radio, and looking about
is reward enough.
The news ends. Eventually I roust myself, roll up the antenna, start walking
back & see what I can pick up off the whip.
I find that
If I hold the radio Just right ( verticle ) whth the antenna sticking out to
the side, I can still pick up the BBC on 12.095..
Move it slightly, and I pick up Mideastern Music
( 12.105 Greece, perhapse ??)
I walk past a metal fence.
BBC dissappears & Mideastern Music fills my ears.
raise the radio up over the fence, BBC reappears.
Back & forth this way for quite some time.

- In short, with a $15.00 /100 radio, and a peice of wire,
you can have quite a bit of fun..

Dan / NYC

Old July 21st 04, 04:47 AM
old time radio operator

Way cool Dan.
I do the same, a long piece of wire and my little dx 350 rad shak rig.
Try hooking it up mobile some time.
same process, I do this when we go to Las Vegas, NV.
Talk about dx in the desert southwest.
PEACE
Nigel

Old July 21st 04, 04:52 AM
old time radio operator

sorry BTW i did the same on our train trip form LA cal to Detroit mi a
couple years back.
radio havana cuba was booming in as we passed thru the santa fe pass.