Old August 13th 04, 05:12 PM
ScanMan

Update - Charlie looks to be taking a slight turn to the NE, making
landfall just south of me (Pinellas county), now in Manatee county. This is
good for us, diminishing the storm surge threat a bit. We will still deal
with hurricane force winds, but I live right on the intracoastal waterway
and the surge is what I am worried about the most. I've seen the power of
water before and it is not to be taken lightly. We have decided to ride it
out here now - keep you posted if I can - weather permitting

"Greg" wrote in message
Okay ScanDude, we'll await your next post after this thing is over saying
you & your family & home are all safe.

Greg

From: "ScanMan"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 03:11:00 GMT
Subject: Hurricane Watch Net Activation

Yeah we are still here. Put plywood on windows and taped stuff up, now

just
getting things up off the floor. Plan on getting out of here early

afternoon
tomorrow. About to dismantle radio/computer desk and store stuff in high

dry
place. Getting a bit nervous here now. The friggin eye is projected

right
over us...*ack*...well gonna sign off for now. Wish us luck

From: "ScanMan"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:04:10 GMT

I've got comms now...helps to turn att. off

(snip)

I've been hearing coms on that frequency most of the day and it's still
active, though intermittently, here in Lakeland. Now, GET THE HELL OUT

OF
PINELLS COUNTY!

Stay safe over there.

Greg

Old August 13th 04, 06:15 PM
dxAce

ScanMan wrote:

Update - Charlie looks to be taking a slight turn to the NE, making
landfall just south of me (Pinellas county), now in Manatee county. This is
good for us, diminishing the storm surge threat a bit. We will still deal
with hurricane force winds, but I live right on the intracoastal waterway
and the surge is what I am worried about the most. I've seen the power of
water before and it is not to be taken lightly. We have decided to ride it
out here now - keep you posted if I can - weather permitting

Looks that way... In viewing the radar animation it looks like the eye will hit
between Bradenton and Port Charlotte somewhere.

Good luck.

dxAce

Old August 13th 04, 06:43 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

ScanMan wrote:

Update - Charlie looks to be taking a slight turn to the NE, making
landfall just south of me (Pinellas county), now in Manatee county. This is
good for us, diminishing the storm surge threat a bit. We will still deal
with hurricane force winds, but I live right on the intracoastal waterway
and the surge is what I am worried about the most. I've seen the power of
water before and it is not to be taken lightly. We have decided to ride it
out here now - keep you posted if I can - weather permitting

Looks that way... In viewing the radar animation it looks like the eye will hit
between Bradenton and Port Charlotte somewhere.

Now up to a Category 4 Hurricane. A special advisory will soon be issued by the
National Weather Service soon.

Recon aircraft measured winds of 162 MPH 8 miles from Charley's center, estmated
winds at the surface are 145 MPH.

Good luck.

dxAce

Old August 13th 04, 07:33 PM
m II

dxAce wrote:
Arnie Coro CO2KK (Radio Habana Cuba) has been offering up reports to the
Hurricane Watch Net around 1500 on 14325 USB.

I didn't think the US embargo allowed hurricanes going to Cuba.

mike
Old August 13th 04, 08:45 PM
Greg

From: "ScanMan"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:12:10 GMT

Update - Charlie looks to be taking a slight turn to the NE, making
landfall just south of me (Pinellas county), now in Manatee county. This is
good for us, diminishing the storm surge threat a bit. We will still deal
with hurricane force winds, but I live right on the intracoastal waterway
and the surge is what I am worried about the most. I've seen the power of
water before and it is not to be taken lightly. We have decided to ride it
out here now - keep you posted if I can - weather permitting

(snip)

Looks like it's headed for my home in Lakeland once it moves inland. It's
going to be a long night.

Greg

Old August 13th 04, 09:14 PM
ScanMan

Yep, very long night...hearing on the scanners that people are gridlocked on
the interstates running out of gas just sitting there...*ack*

Old August 13th 04, 09:16 PM
dxAce

From: "ScanMan"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:12:10 GMT

Update - Charlie looks to be taking a slight turn to the NE, making
landfall just south of me (Pinellas county), now in Manatee county. This is
good for us, diminishing the storm surge threat a bit. We will still deal
with hurricane force winds, but I live right on the intracoastal waterway
and the surge is what I am worried about the most. I've seen the power of
water before and it is not to be taken lightly. We have decided to ride it
out here now - keep you posted if I can - weather permitting

(snip)

Looks like it's headed for my home in Lakeland once it moves inland. It's
going to be a long night.

They did mention on the net that it has the possibility of maintaining hurricane
force winds all across Florida to Daytona as it passes through.

Stay safe.

dxAce

Old August 13th 04, 10:09 PM
dxAce

From: "ScanMan"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:12:10 GMT

Update - Charlie looks to be taking a slight turn to the NE, making
landfall just south of me (Pinellas county), now in Manatee county. This is
good for us, diminishing the storm surge threat a bit. We will still deal
with hurricane force winds, but I live right on the intracoastal waterway
and the surge is what I am worried about the most. I've seen the power of
water before and it is not to be taken lightly. We have decided to ride it
out here now - keep you posted if I can - weather permitting

(snip)

Looks like it's headed for my home in Lakeland once it moves inland. It's
going to be a long night.

They did mention on the net that it has the possibility of maintaining hurricane
force winds all across Florida to Daytona as it passes through.

One fellow on the net is reporting winds of 100 MPH at his QTH and he is on
emergency power.

He has a 200 lb. doghouse outside that is being moved around by the winds.

Ouch!

Stay safe.

dxAce

Old August 13th 04, 10:41 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

From: "ScanMan"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:12:10 GMT

[...]

Per the net the EOC in Hardee County has collapsed, possibly a fire and also the
possibility of folks being trapped inside. They've lost comms.

Sounds nasty down there.

Ouch!

Stay safe.

dxAce

Old August 13th 04, 10:52 PM
dxAce

From: "ScanMan"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 16:12:10 GMT

[...]

Apparently this report of the collapse of the EOC is a hoax.

Sounds nasty down there.

Ouch!

Stay safe.

dxAce