RadioBanter

-   -   Best magazines for shortwave listener ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/44020-best-magazines-shortwave-listener.html)

aristotle August 18th 04 02:50 AM

Best magazines for shortwave listener ?

What do you suggest are the best monthly magazines for shortwave listeners ?

Michael Chatel August 18th 04 05:09 AM

I like "Monitoring Times". It has some Shortwave related articles and
content, but then also covers a broader audience of "monitoring" (ex.
hams, people with scanners, etc...)

One reason I like Monitoring Times, is that I'm from Canada, and they
do try to include a bit of Canadian content too.

Mike Chatel

Dan Say August 18th 04 08:34 AM

aristotle wrote:

What do you suggest are the best monthly magazines for shortwave
listeners ?

LIstening In from ODXA
L'Onde from COCQ

Radio-Kurier from ADDX

Retro DJ August 18th 04 01:06 PM

(aristotle) wrote in message . com...
What do you suggest are the best monthly magazines for shortwave listeners ?

Popular Communications is good, monitoring times as well.

jim jordan August 18th 04 06:46 PM

glenn hauser's "world of radio" free via e mail gives me everything i need
to know
"Noel" wrote in message
On 17 Aug 2004 18:50:35 -0700, (aristotle)
wrote:

What do you suggest are the best monthly magazines for shortwave

listeners ?

That depends on where you are. In the UK, 'Shortwave Magazine' and
'Radio Active' are two reasonably good titles.

Steve Silverwood September 5th 04 02:49 AM

In article ,
says...
What do you suggest are the best monthly magazines for shortwave listeners ?

Monitoring Times tops the list for me. I also enjoy reading Popular
Communications (aka "PopComm").

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Stereophile22 September 5th 04 03:58 AM

Monitoring Times tops the list for me. I also enjoy reading Popular
Communications (aka "PopComm").

I used to read "Popular Communications" years ago. Then I stopped for various
reasons. One was that I no longer had a working shortwave radio and couldn't
get another one for a long while. Well,

I recently picked up a few issues of both magazines, and today, I also like
"Monitoring Times" better.

I very vaguely seem to recall some shortwave communications magazine before
Popular Communications started, but I can't recall what the name of that
magazine was. It went out of business years ago.

I don['t remember if it stopped before Popular Communications started or if it
lasted a while longer and stopped after Popular Communications had started for
a while.

Maybe some other "old timers" can recall what it was or at least what it might
have been.

DesignGuy September 5th 04 04:08 AM

"Stereophile22" wrote in message
[...]

I vaguely recall one called "Communications World".

Stereophile22 September 5th 04 09:08 AM

I vaguely recall one called "Communications World".

That vaguely seems to sound familiar to me. I think that was probably it. That
that was probably the one I read regularly before "Popular Communications" ever
came along.

Jay September 5th 04 12:46 PM

Monitoring Times is also my first choice, and I also subscribe to Pop Comm.
Occasionally I pickup a copy of Shortwave Magazine (British) at the
newsstand.

Jay
"Steve Silverwood" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

DesignGuy September 5th 04 02:48 PM

"Stereophile22" wrote in message
I vaguely recall one called "Communications World".

That vaguely seems to sound familiar to me. I think that was probably it.

That
that was probably the one I read regularly before "Popular Communications"

ever
came along.

I remember having one around 1976-1978, when I first got interested in
SWL'ing.

Telamon September 5th 04 08:21 PM

In article ,
Steve Silverwood wrote:

In article ,
says...
What do you suggest are the best monthly magazines for shortwave listeners ?

Monitoring Times tops the list for me. I also enjoy reading Popular
Communications (aka "PopComm").

I did not think much of the September edition. It had an article on
Srilanka that was good and the usual SW schedules were of interest to me
but that was about it. The rest was satellites, scanner stuff and an
article written by some PH.D. on digital radio that was deathly dull.
I'm not sure I will buy it again for $6 bucks unless they start having
more articles about SW stations.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

NDeveau September 6th 04 02:55 AM

In article
, Telamon
wrote:

In article ,
Steve Silverwood wrote:

In article ,
says...
What do you suggest are the best monthly magazines for shortwave

listeners ?

Monitoring Times tops the list for me. I also enjoy reading Popular
Communications (aka "PopComm").

I did not think much of the September edition. It had an article on
Srilanka that was good and the usual SW schedules were of interest to me
but that was about it. The rest was satellites, scanner stuff and an
article written by some PH.D. on digital radio that was deathly dull.
I'm not sure I will buy it again for $6 bucks unless they start having
more articles about SW stations.

When I was getting back into radio listening a couple of years ago I tried
to find a good magazine. I got samples of all the club newsletters I
could, a couple of PopComms, the BBC mag On Air, very nice but BBC only,
and Monitoring Times.

I ended up getting a subscription to MT. Although there's a lot of non SW stuff
I still found it the best for the money. Even though it costs me $60.00
Canadian per year.

I would like to see a copy of Shortwave Magazine though. Any comments on
that one?

Norm

byrnefm September 7th 04 07:59 AM

I would like to see a copy of Shortwave Magazine though. Any comments on
that one?

I buy Shortwave Magazine each month (I live in Ireland, so the content
is pretty relevant). As you might guess, it is very UK-oriented (eg.
reception logs) but it does have good general articles, too. It has
regulars like what's happening on SW in the different continents, both
about radio and TV (under the columns 'Bandscan region' and
regularly features transmitters of interest in the UK and occasionally
Ireland. There are also other articles each month of interest to the
radio amateur reader. While it's called 'SWM', it does cover more
than the 0-30MHz spectrum, for example, it also has articles relating
to the air band.

I buy my copy from a newsagents (it sells for €5.80 = US$6.90 at the
moment, rate of sterling dependent), their subscription rates seem to
be pretty reasonable as far as magazines go, probably because it's not
bulky like a computing magazine. I don't know how much it retails for
in the US (and have never seen Monitoring Times for sale here) so I'm
unable to compare the two. Not sure if the magazine is as relevant in
the US (wrt some of its articles) but I'd certainly recommend buying a
copy to see for yourself - if you can find it on sale somewhere!

...Francis

NDeveau September 7th 04 10:46 AM

In article ,
(byrnefm) wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info, I'll try to find a copy.
By the way, I'm in Canada not the US. Just across the pond
from you in Nova Scotia.

Norm

Steve Silverwood October 4th 04 05:19 AM

In article telamon_spamshield-4AB7D5.12241805092004
@news.sf.sbcglobal.net, lid
says...
In article ,
Steve Silverwood wrote:

In article ,
says...
What do you suggest are the best monthly magazines for shortwave listeners ?

Monitoring Times tops the list for me. I also enjoy reading Popular
Communications (aka "PopComm").

I did not think much of the September edition. It had an article on
Srilanka that was good and the usual SW schedules were of interest to me
but that was about it. The rest was satellites, scanner stuff and an
article written by some PH.D. on digital radio that was deathly dull.
I'm not sure I will buy it again for $6 bucks unless they start having
more articles about SW stations.

Sorry for the late reply. If you subscribe, the cost per issue goes way
down. And they are doing a lot of articles about various shortwave
stations, although I don't think they have enough material coming in to
do one a month. They try to vary the content enough to keep it
interesting and to address the interests of their fairly broad
subscriber base, so there will be times when they're chock full of stuff
that's interesting to you, and times when things are a little lean.
Same goes for just about every other publication to which I subscribe.
Sorry, that's just life....

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Steve Silverwood October 4th 04 05:19 AM

In article ,
says...
When I was getting back into radio listening a couple of years ago I tried
to find a good magazine. I got samples of all the club newsletters I
could, a couple of PopComms, the BBC mag On Air, very nice but BBC only,
and Monitoring Times.

Many of the international broadcasters put out newsletters that have
some great content -- naturally, they're specific to their station
and/or country, but they make for some entertaining reading, plus they
include programming info and schedules. Radio Netherlands, NHK (Japan)
and China Radio Int'l are the first that come to mind. I send reception
reports in to them and others whenever I can, and they keep me on their
mailing lists. CRI also includes some interesting booklets about
various subjects. I get a cool desk calendar every year from Radio
Kuwait, too!

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

NDeveau October 5th 04 03:26 AM

Many of the international broadcasters put out newsletters that have
some great content -- naturally, they're specific to their station
and/or country, but they make for some entertaining reading, plus they
include programming info and schedules. Radio Netherlands, NHK (Japan)
and China Radio Int'l are the first that come to mind. I send reception
reports in to them and others whenever I can, and they keep me on their
mailing lists. CRI also includes some interesting booklets about
various subjects. I get a cool desk calendar every year from Radio
Kuwait, too!

I get the CRI stuff too, pretty interesting. I'm still trying to win one
of those free trips to China!

I'll have to send out some more reports to see what else I can get.

Norm