Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 22nd 04, 12:31 PM
Jay

Default WBCQ 5105 Upper Sideband Only

I've noticed that WBCQ on 5105 only seems to transmit with an upper
sideband. It has a normal carrier and so can be heard on a radio in regular
am mode, although with reduced audio level I assume. But on a radio with
Sync detection you get strong audio in Upper Sideband mode and NO audio in
Lower Sideband mode. I even heard the Rabbi mention this on his show the
other night, so it is obviously intentional. Since this tends to weaken the
audio when listening in the am mode, can anyone tell me why they would
broadcast this way? It seems to be an unusual mode, neither SSB nor am but
am with only one sideband.

Jay