Old August 22nd 04, 12:31 PM
Jay

Default WBCQ 5105 Upper Sideband Only

I've noticed that WBCQ on 5105 only seems to transmit with an upper
sideband. It has a normal carrier and so can be heard on a radio in regular
am mode, although with reduced audio level I assume. But on a radio with
Sync detection you get strong audio in Upper Sideband mode and NO audio in
Lower Sideband mode. I even heard the Rabbi mention this on his show the
other night, so it is obviously intentional. Since this tends to weaken the
audio when listening in the am mode, can anyone tell me why they would
broadcast this way? It seems to be an unusual mode, neither SSB nor am but
am with only one sideband.

Jay

Old August 22nd 04, 12:39 PM
dxAce

Jay wrote:

I've noticed that WBCQ on 5105 only seems to transmit with an upper
sideband. It has a normal carrier and so can be heard on a radio in regular
am mode, although with reduced audio level I assume. But on a radio with
Sync detection you get strong audio in Upper Sideband mode and NO audio in
Lower Sideband mode. I even heard the Rabbi mention this on his show the
other night, so it is obviously intentional. Since this tends to weaken the
audio when listening in the am mode, can anyone tell me why they would
broadcast this way? It seems to be an unusual mode, neither SSB nor am but
am with only one sideband.

Yes, they operate on 5105 with suppressed carrier on the LSB, sometimes
referred to as CUSB.

dxAce

Jay

Old August 22nd 04, 02:07 PM
dxAce

Jay wrote:

Is there some advantage to this mode of transmission?

Well, it certainly is a plus as it will result in a stronger signal since all
the 'info' is concentrated in one sideband or the other.

Much like standard USB or LSB... all the power is concentrated in one sideband
or the other.

I'm certain someone besides me can explain it better.

dxAce

Jay

Old August 22nd 04, 02:12 PM
Ron Hardin

It takes only half the energy for the carrier, so has half the
waste of regular AM, since the carrier carries no information.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 22nd 04, 02:19 PM
dxAce

Ron Hardin wrote:

It takes only half the energy for the carrier, so has half the
waste of regular AM, since the carrier carries no information.

And certainly more economical from WBCQ's standpoint.

dxAce

Old August 22nd 04, 02:58 PM
Volker Tonn

Ron Hardin schrieb:

It takes only half the energy for the carrier, so has half the
waste of regular AM, since the carrier carries no information.

There is NO carrier on sideband transmission. So there are some options.
They hold on the center frequency and use one or both sidebands.
In first case there is only a quarter of power needed for to reach at
least the same distance. In the second case there is half the power
needed and there is an theoretical option for stereo transmission on ISB
(independent side band). But receivers capable of ISB are very rare and
mostly found in the league of professional grade Siemens or Harris
receivers.....
Or they can shift the transmitter center frequency up or down by 2.5khz
and then tranmit with true 5khz bandwidth on a single side band which
can be a big advantage in sound compared to other sw stations.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:02 PM
dxAce

Volker Tonn wrote:

Ron Hardin schrieb:

It takes only half the energy for the carrier, so has half the
waste of regular AM, since the carrier carries no information.

There is NO carrier on sideband transmission.

There is on the WBCQ 5105 transmission. The LOWER sideband is supressed,
leaving all the energy (carrier) in the UPPER sideband.

Check it out. Get back to us.

dxAce

Old August 22nd 04, 03:54 PM
Volker Tonn

dxAce schrieb:

Volker Tonn wrote:

Ron Hardin schrieb:

It takes only half the energy for the carrier, so has half the
waste of regular AM, since the carrier carries no information.

There is NO carrier on sideband transmission.

There is on the WBCQ 5105 transmission. The LOWER sideband is supressed,
leaving all the energy (carrier) in the UPPER sideband.

Check it out. Get back to us.

Nothing but static noise on my side right now in the afternoon. Maybe
they make it here (Germany) on sunset on the transmitter site....

I just reread the initial post. It makes sense.
I even think they transmit an USB signal with carrier added and not full
AM with supressed LSB.

Old August 22nd 04, 03:59 PM
dxAce

Volker Tonn wrote:

dxAce schrieb:

Volker Tonn wrote:

Ron Hardin schrieb:

It takes only half the energy for the carrier, so has half the
waste of regular AM, since the carrier carries no information.

There is NO carrier on sideband transmission.

There is on the WBCQ 5105 transmission. The LOWER sideband is supressed,
leaving all the energy (carrier) in the UPPER sideband.

Check it out. Get back to us.

Nothing but static noise on my side right now in the afternoon.

Well... they do leave 5105 at 1200...

I believe they may be back at 2100, but not sure.

dxAce