Old August 26th 04, 03:17 AM
D. Martin

Default old tube radios

A friend of mine received a tube-type shortwave radio from the local
airport years ago. He flew out of that airport, as an amateur flier, and
was in the right place to get this thing. I haven't seen this thing yet,
but if it served as the airports communications, am I gonna have the
ability to contact submarines with this thing, or what? He's giving it
to me. I mean, is this gonna be like heavy artillery, or just a
nostalgic old noise maker? Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Old August 26th 04, 05:39 AM
Mark

Well, the aviation band allocations haven't changed much in quite a long
time.
If it still works, then you can probably listen to aviation on it (don't
know about submarines!).
You certainly wouldn't want to transmit on it. Although unless you know how
to setup and tune an antenna for it, you probably won't generate much of a
signal, nor will the radio last very long if it transmits on a grossly
out-of-tune antenna!

Mark.

Old August 26th 04, 05:40 AM
Mark

When you know the details of it, i.e. the manufacturer name, model number
etc, you could post it to this group, along with rec.antiques.radio+phono,
and somebody can probably tell you more about it...

Mark.

Old August 27th 04, 04:48 AM
D. Martin

Well hey, thanks Mark. I am curious about it. When I've got the thing,
you'll be sure to hear about it. Darren

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html