Old August 29th 04, 03:30 PM
Jack Painter

Great answer to an idiot, Johnny! Those band members were always at the
pier when we returned from patrol, and one of the first questions they would
ask us was "how many dolphins did you guys nail?" So I'm pretty sure the
brass, especially the trombone section, knew all along what we were really
out there for!

Welcome to the group from another submariner.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA

"Johnny Lipps" wrote

I didn't know anybody in the Navy's marching band so I couldn't tell you
if the brass (let alone the percussionists) were aware of any impact
active SONAR may have on whales and dolphins.
While we're off-topic: some reports indicate a rise in the use of phantom
citations in passive-aggressive Usenet posts.

Cheers,

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:52:46 GMT, m II wrote:

Hi Johnny..just out of curiosity, when did the Navy Brass find out that
the sonar was damaging and killing whales and dolphins? Some reports
say there may have been tens of thousands of these animals killed
because of direct damage or a later inability to navigate or swim.

Any insights welcome.

mike

Old August 29th 04, 06:29 PM
m II

Volker Tonn wrote:

If you're mostly interested into shortwave go with the R-75 or the RX-320.
There is some _very_ nice software for the RX-320. The newer RX-320'D'
will also support DRM. Don't know about Linux software supporting DRM...

http://radio.linux.org.au/pkgdetail....t=& pkgid=376

http://snipurl.com/8qe8

I haven't set this up yet, so I can't comment on the workings of it.

mike
Old August 29th 04, 06:56 PM
Kameron Spesial

On 29 Aug 2004 14:43:41 GMT, "-=jd=-"
wrote:

On Sat 28 Aug 2004 06:13:33p, JuLiE Dxer wrote in message
:

I also recommend sticking to shortwave topics here.
I also recommend kill filtering any of these off-topic posters. It'll
help you weed through the trash postings when finding interesting
shortwave radio information. There's been a lot of good stuff posted
in here regarding shortwave radio. Kill filters can almost be your
best friend in here.

MsJuLiE

{snippage}

You aren't going to allow folks to discuss what they actually heard on the
radio?

-=jd=-

JD - you seem to be repeating yourself but hey - we all need to hear
that more than once. Thanks.
Old August 29th 04, 08:13 PM
uncle arnie

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:33 am -0600 UTC, Johnny Lipps
posted: %MM

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:11:17 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:

I moved up the R-75 after using a Sangean ATS-909, Grundig YB-400. I also
have an ATS-606 and YB-300.

That one sentence kicked off a lot of reading! After poring over the
archives and looking all over the net, I'm down to the R-75, the PCR-1000
and Ten-Tec's RX-320 as fitting my price-range and having the features I
think I'm most interested in. And I found Linux controllers for all of
them.

What Linux are you running? I have a debian-based system, running tk75 for
the R-75.
http://www.parnass.org/tk75/ , though I am using computer control less often
these days. I think I want to run the receiver from my palm pilot (!)

From the archives I can see there's been a lot of debate about all three
receivers, so I'll take my time and research more before making a
decision. Thanks for leading me in a good direction!

I've found that some features and options and some things listed as deficits
with receivers are simply a matter of getting used to. Good luck with your
shopping.

Arnie
Old August 30th 04, 12:59 AM
Telamon

In article , sirius
wrote:

Telamon wrote:

Welcome to the newsgroup. The population that post here, other than the
juvenile Trolls, are mostly middle age and older males that have strong
opinions on just about anything.

The number of political posts will decline after the elections but this
is a popular newsgroup that ranges 100 to 200 posts a day normally and
when the political posts drop off something else will take its place so
be prepared to use the kill file and just ignore the threads that do
not interest you.

As a warning if you just post political or other off topic I'll just
kill file you. If you show genuine interest in the hobby with posts to
that effect and post political stuff I'll probably keep reading you. I
think you can see where I'm coming from with this thought.

--
Telamon

However what Telamon didn't tell you is:

He's in a lot of people's kill files for doing what he just warned you
about. Take a look at the google.groups archive for this group to see
what he's really like. Most of his posts in the past few months were
attacks against a certain person he doesn't like and political rants.

I will not kill file Bryant. He is too entertaining.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old August 30th 04, 01:18 AM
D. Martin

Living in a metal tube, deep under the ocean, with lots of other men,
is a great effort to replicate hell.
In regards to politics, the kingdom of heaven is a dictatorship. It
works because the One in charge is righteous, and true. Welcome to
earth. We're all a little bit corrupt. Democracy equals mob-rules. The
present aristocracy smiles at you whilest they twist the proverbial
blade.
Just some random thoughts... Darren
P.S. your radio prowess will be enhanced by copious cash infusements...

http://community-2.webtv.net/DEMEM/L...mes/page2.html

Old August 30th 04, 02:02 AM
Johnny Lipps

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:13:11 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:

What Linux are you running? I have a debian-based system, running tk75
for
the R-75.
http://www.parnass.org/tk75/ , though I am using computer control less
often
these days. I think I want to run the receiver from my palm pilot (!)

Eventually I want to use Linux as a multimedia controller and have a
laptop on which I've been running different releases to get a feel for
them. Started with Knoppix, then Debian, Suse, Fedora, Slackware...Xbox
Linux intrigues me as well (there's a brief explanation as to why on my
website : http://www.benhellmann.com/ . Johnny Lipps is my stage name.
Figure if I'm gonna be here awhile, y'all oughta know who you're reading
-- let the recriminations begin). It seems TK75 would run fine on all, so
it's really a matter of determining the strengths of each release for my
goals, which are really general at the moment.

As far as using computer control less, is this because you became more
comfortbale with the hardware interface or that you've dialed in all the
settings you need to with TK75 and can now operate the R-75 without having
to change those settings?

The archives have been extremely helpful in sorting through what can be an
overwhelming set of possibilities, and I thank everybody for their input.

Old August 30th 04, 03:56 AM
Jack Painter

"Johnny Lipps" wrote

website : http://www.benhellmann.com/ . Johnny Lipps is my stage name.
Figure if I'm gonna be here awhile, y'all oughta know who you're reading
-- let the recriminations begin).

We still don't know who you are. A poster in radio communications hobbys who
refuses to state his name. You're a real SHIPMATE, yep.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA

Old August 30th 04, 05:18 AM
Johnny Lipps

Actually Shippy, I'm not a radio-communications hobbyist, nor am I
interested in the dead-end tribal bickering or demonization of oppposing
views that goes on in this newsgroup. Following mark's random hostility
(a question akin to "When did you stop beating your wife?"), I explained
to my girlfriend what a troll was and her only question, sensibly enough,
was "Why would anybody do that?" Indeed.
I stated from the get-go that I'm looking to tune into broadcasts for
Indonesian music. I provided my background in electronics to convey that
I have an understanding of the fundamentals of radio and that therefore
the typical newbie handholding wouldn't be necessary. I want insight on
gear, and leads on broadcasts. So far I've deleted more bad-faith
political threads and personal attacks than I've read information on
equipment. Uncle Arnie and Mark Holden have been quite helpful, while
most others saw my introduction as another chance to vent their particular
gripes.
If for some bizarre reason anybody wanted to know anything about me beyond
my interest in radio, they could have asked instead of assuming (as many
apparently did) that my status as a veteran automatically meant that I was
a right-wing android. Since it became apparent that continued involvement
on the board was going to engender senseless snipes, I dropped the thin
veil of anonymity so that if anybody wanted to learn my political views
they could go to my website instead of reading yet another useless post
(which this has now become).

I'm going with the RX-320. Now I have to read up on constructing the best
antenna for an apartment in an urban area.

Ben Hellmann,
Providence, RI
USA

"Johnny Lipps" wrote

Old August 30th 04, 02:35 PM
Jack Painter

"Johnny Lipps" wrote (in essence)

I'm going with the RX-320. Now I have to read up on constructing the best
antenna for an apartment in an urban area.

Ben Hellmann,
Providence, RI
USA

I don't care what your political leanings are and I will be glad to offer
constructive comments about SWL.

You made your choice on receivers, now whatever your neighbors/owner etc
will tolerate is all that's left to bring in best reception possible.
Hanging a temporary wire out to a tree, pole or even the ground works great
if nothing permanent is allowed. We've done this from hotel rooms on the
oceanfront with great success. Even had a police helo take an eye-level look
at our yagi and aerials on the balcony, and long wires strung down to
lightpoles on the boardwalk. Six of us waved back and nobody stormed the
place. ;-)

If you are on the top floor of an apartment, atic-access might allow a real
network of random wire, or even a loop antenna. This could outperform many
kinds of random wires in the yard.

Best regards,

Jack
Va Beach