Old August 30th 04, 03:16 PM
Mark S. Holden

Johnny Lipps wrote:
snip
I stated from the get-go that I'm looking to tune into broadcasts for
Indonesian music.

snip

I'm going with the RX-320. Now I have to read up on constructing the best
antenna for an apartment in an urban area.

Hi

I've never had an RX-320, but folks seem to love them.

A neat feature is you'll have quite a few programmable IF filter choices available.

Your mileage may vary, but if you're listening to music, I suggest starting with a filter in the range of 6.0 khz for AM mode, and 2.9-3.2 khz for sideband.

As for your antenna, if you're in a wood frame building that doesn't have aluminum siding, and you can't have an outdoor antenna, you might try an antenna like one of my friends has.

It's a loop of wire around the perimeter of his living room, up near the ceiling. He uses thumb tacks or push pins every few feet to hold it up. You can see it if you look for it, but most folks don't notice it because the he used wire wrap wire (it's
thin) and it and the pins are the same color as the walls.

He uses an impedance matching transformer where the antenna connects to the coax.

I like loop antennas indoors because they don't pick up as much RFI as a random wire. Another popular low noise design is a dipole.

He feeds his into a multi coupler and from there into three rack mount HF radios.

If you can use an outdoor antenna, you might try something like the "Doty style" antenna - it's a random wire away from the house with an impedance matching transformer. Mine is down at the moment because my impedance matching transformer got vaporized
by lightning strike, but it's normally as quiet as when I'm camping in the woods.
Old August 30th 04, 04:22 PM
Diverd4777

In article k2GYc.112201$Lj.103853@fed1read03, "Jack Painter"
writes:

"Johnny Lipps" wrote (in essence)

I'm going with the RX-320. Now I have to read up on constructing the best
antenna for an apartment in an urban area.

Ben Hellmann,
Providence, RI
USA

Ben Consider the design below:

Outdoor Antenna for Apartment Dwellers . .

MATERIALS

Some Stranded, Insulated copper wire from Radio shack
Colors so it matches the bricks / outside of your building

Some stick-on Cord holders
One tube clear Silicone sealer glue
One black magic marker
One Rusty red magic marker
A roll of Duct tape color of outside of apt.

One Mop
One piece of twine or string.
One Small soft edged weight.

PROCEDU

See how far it is in between two windows of your Apt..

Measure out a piece of string this distance + ~ 6 - 8 feet.
Attach a small soft edged weight to it.

( Look Outside to see no one is looking !! )

Secure curious household pets

Open Both Windows.
Insert mop part way out one]
Close that window to secure mop handle

Run over to the other window QUICK!
Take the twine with the weight on it & (without risking life & limb)
Toss the string over the mop sticking out the other window.
Secure the end of that end of the string with a bit of slack
Close that window
Run over to the other window with the mop that has the twine handing down off
it

Pull the mop in
Close the window.

( Breath deeply )

NOW....

Attach the stranded wire to the end of the string.
Slightly open window
Run over to the oher window.
Open it & pull in string until wire / string connection is through..

Pull in enough so that wire will reach SWR
Attach wire to SWR.
Close window.

- That's basically it. Modify as needed.

You can take Square stick -on cord holders
Camouflage them with magic Marker color , &
Silicone glue them to the outside corners of the window,
Then loop more wire

( DONT FALL OUT WHEN DOING THIS !!)

around the cord holders. This makes the antenna longer.
repeat for other windows..This should help lots..

( Works for me !!)

Old August 30th 04, 04:58 PM
clifto

Jack Painter wrote:
"Johnny Lipps" wrote
website : http://www.benhellmann.com/

We still don't know who you are. A poster in radio communications hobbys who
refuses to state his name. You're a real SHIPMATE, yep.

Yeah, how could anyone EVER guess his name from what he wrote there?

--
"The truth, which is what elections are all about, is that the tax burden of
the middle class has gone up while the tax burden of the middle class has
gone down." -- John Kerry, August 26, 2004
Old August 31st 04, 01:45 AM
Mark

"Johnny Lipps" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:11:17 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:
After poring over the
archives and looking all over the net, I'm down to the R-75, the PCR-1000
and Ten-Tec's RX-320 as fitting my price-range and having the features I
think I'm most interested in.

With that kind of price range, you may also want to read about the Japan
Radio Company NRD-545, if you haven't already.

Mark.

Old August 31st 04, 03:44 AM
uncle arnie

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:02 pm -0600 UTC, Johnny Lipps
posted: %MM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:13:11 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:

What Linux are you running? I have a debian-based system, running tk75
for
the R-75.
http://www.parnass.org/tk75/ , though I am using computer control less
often
these days. I think I want to run the receiver from my palm pilot (!)

Eventually I want to use Linux as a multimedia controller and have a
laptop on which I've been running different releases to get a feel for
them. Started with Knoppix, then Debian, Suse, Fedora, Slackware...Xbox
Linux intrigues me as well (there's a brief explanation as to why on my
website : http://www.benhellmann.com/ . Johnny Lipps is my stage name.
Figure if I'm gonna be here awhile, y'all oughta know who you're reading
-- let the recriminations begin). It seems TK75 would run fine on all, so
it's really a matter of determining the strengths of each release for my
goals, which are really general at the moment.

As far as using computer control less, is this because you became more
comfortbale with the hardware interface or that you've dialed in all the
settings you need to with TK75 and can now operate the R-75 without having
to change those settings?

I think it's b/c I have the R-75 set up for band scanning the way I like it.
A few fav frq in memories and then various typical band upper and lower
limits in others. Then I just spin the dial. Some of my listening is also
late night insomnia and ear phones and dial spinning are less domestically
disruptive than firing up the laptop, so says the wife.

The archives have been extremely helpful in sorting through what can be an
overwhelming set of possibilities, and I thank everybody for their input.

--
-

Old September 1st 04, 01:40 AM
JuLiE Dxer

Yep, he's a blubbering idiot.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:04:10 -0400, sirius wrote:

Telamon wrote:

Welcome to the newsgroup. The population that post here, other than the
juvenile Trolls, are mostly middle age and older males that have strong
opinions on just about anything.

The number of political posts will decline after the elections but this
is a popular newsgroup that ranges 100 to 200 posts a day normally and
when the political posts drop off something else will take its place so
be prepared to use the kill file and just ignore the threads that do
not interest you.

As a warning if you just post political or other off topic I'll just
kill file you. If you show genuine interest in the hobby with posts to
that effect and post political stuff I'll probably keep reading you. I
think you can see where I'm coming from with this thought.

--
Telamon

However what Telamon didn't tell you is:

He's in a lot of people's kill files for doing what he just warned you
about. Take a look at the google.groups archive for this group to see
what he's really like. Most of his posts in the past few months were
attacks against a certain person he doesn't like and political rants.