Old August 29th 04, 02:36 AM
Johnny Lipps

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 18:46:03 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:

The navy of which country?

Sorry, should have remembered that I'm dealing with an international
group: United States Navy.

What equipment do you listen with?

That's one of the reasons I'm reading the group: I don't currently have
any equipment. It's been over a decade since I've been an active listener
and back then I was using a no-name portable received from my father.
Recently I've been finding recordings of tapes of broadcasts from
Indonesia and was hoping to tune in on my own.
The matter of which equipment to use is being cleared up somewhat from
posts here and the Shortwave Radio Reviews at
http://www.vectorbd.com/sw_review.html.
I guess the main question I need to answer for myself is what level of
listener I want to be, casual or hardcore hobbyist. I sense it's
somewhere in between: I want a receiver that is tunable in smaller
increments than the standard portable, but I want to spend less time
tweaking than listening. When I have a setup working I'm sure you'll see
plenty of questions from me.

Thanks to everybody for the welcomes!

Old August 29th 04, 03:11 AM
uncle arnie

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 07:36 pm -0600 UTC, Johnny Lipps
posted: %MM

wrote:

[...]

I moved up the R-75 after using a Sangean ATS-909, Grundig YB-400. I also
have an ATS-606 and YB-300.

My second fav radio is the 909, but the YB-400 is usually for sale new for
round about 100 US $. An excellent radio. I got the 909 to listen to the
side bands, for which it is superior to the YB400 (hams and utilities). I
travel with the 606 and cart around the YB300 everyday with me, just in
case. Wanting to listen to signals more clearly from farther away made me
jump for the R-75. In hindsight, I should have bought a better radio at
the start of my restarted listening. I listened in the late 1960's and
into the 70's before. I would really like a Drake but lots more money. The
very great leap in signal clarity with the R-75 convinces me that a radio
with all features of the drake must be pretty sweet sounding. It is well
worth checking out mail order and used. I have ordered locally and from
the US.

Arnie
--
-
Old August 29th 04, 10:33 AM
Johnny Lipps

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:11:17 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:

I moved up the R-75 after using a Sangean ATS-909, Grundig YB-400. I also
have an ATS-606 and YB-300.

That one sentence kicked off a lot of reading! After poring over the
archives and looking all over the net, I'm down to the R-75, the PCR-1000
and Ten-Tec's RX-320 as fitting my price-range and having the features I
think I'm most interested in. And I found Linux controllers for all of
them.

From the archives I can see there's been a lot of debate about all three
receivers, so I'll take my time and research more before making a
decision. Thanks for leading me in a good direction!

Old August 29th 04, 11:57 AM
Volker Tonn

wrote:

I moved up the R-75 after using a Sangean ATS-909, Grundig YB-400. I also
have an ATS-606 and YB-300.

That one sentence kicked off a lot of reading! After poring over the
archives and looking all over the net, I'm down to the R-75, the
PCR-1000 and Ten-Tec's RX-320 as fitting my price-range and having the
features I think I'm most interested in. And I found Linux controllers
for all of them.

If you're mostly interested into shortwave go with the R-75 or the RX-320.
There is some _very_ nice software for the RX-320. The newer RX-320'D'
will also support DRM. Don't know about Linux software supporting DRM...
If you like a standalone receiver go with the R-75.
The PCR1000 is comparable with the Sony 2010 on shortwave performance,
not too bad for a widerange receiver of that price. But the PCR-1000 is
far behind the R-75 on shortwave.
..
..
(T)RX:
NRD-525 with serial interface
PCR-1000 without UT-106 DSP
Yaesu FT50-R
Sony ICF-2001D (2010)
Albrecht AE300 100Khz-2.060Ghz AM FM SSB no gaps
Loewe Opta LO50 stereo radio with valves FM AM LW SW
Trio 9R-59DS

audio:
Datong FL2 analog audio filter in series with
Dierking GD 82NF analog audio filter in series with
Kenwood HiFI-amp with integrated equalizer feeding
AKG K-240Monitor headphones and/or hifi-speakers

antennas:
Magnetic loop 18-31Mhz remote tuning
Discone 25-1300Mhz
FD-antenna 40.5mtr/ 135 ft
FD-antenna 13.8mtr/ 44 ft
rain gutter areal app. 150 mtr/ 495 ft
Yaesu FRT7700 preselector
Yaesu FRA7700 selective active antenna/ modified for selective preamp

....and last but not least a bunch of computers...

Old August 29th 04, 06:29 PM
m II

Volker Tonn wrote:

If you're mostly interested into shortwave go with the R-75 or the RX-320.
There is some _very_ nice software for the RX-320. The newer RX-320'D'
will also support DRM. Don't know about Linux software supporting DRM...

http://radio.linux.org.au/pkgdetail....t=& pkgid=376

http://snipurl.com/8qe8

I haven't set this up yet, so I can't comment on the workings of it.

mike

Old August 29th 04, 08:13 PM
uncle arnie

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:33 am -0600 UTC, Johnny Lipps
posted: %MM

wrote:

I moved up the R-75 after using a Sangean ATS-909, Grundig YB-400. I also
have an ATS-606 and YB-300.

That one sentence kicked off a lot of reading! After poring over the
archives and looking all over the net, I'm down to the R-75, the PCR-1000
and Ten-Tec's RX-320 as fitting my price-range and having the features I
think I'm most interested in. And I found Linux controllers for all of
them.

What Linux are you running? I have a debian-based system, running tk75 for
the R-75.
http://www.parnass.org/tk75/ , though I am using computer control less often
these days. I think I want to run the receiver from my palm pilot (!)

From the archives I can see there's been a lot of debate about all three
receivers, so I'll take my time and research more before making a
decision. Thanks for leading me in a good direction!

I've found that some features and options and some things listed as deficits
with receivers are simply a matter of getting used to. Good luck with your
shopping.

Arnie
Old August 30th 04, 02:02 AM
Johnny Lipps

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:13:11 -0600, uncle arnie
wrote:

What Linux are you running? I have a debian-based system, running tk75
for
the R-75.
http://www.parnass.org/tk75/ , though I am using computer control less
often
these days. I think I want to run the receiver from my palm pilot (!)

Eventually I want to use Linux as a multimedia controller and have a
laptop on which I've been running different releases to get a feel for
them. Started with Knoppix, then Debian, Suse, Fedora, Slackware...Xbox
Linux intrigues me as well (there's a brief explanation as to why on my
website : http://www.benhellmann.com/ . Johnny Lipps is my stage name.
Figure if I'm gonna be here awhile, y'all oughta know who you're reading
-- let the recriminations begin). It seems TK75 would run fine on all, so
it's really a matter of determining the strengths of each release for my
goals, which are really general at the moment.

As far as using computer control less, is this because you became more
comfortbale with the hardware interface or that you've dialed in all the
settings you need to with TK75 and can now operate the R-75 without having
to change those settings?

The archives have been extremely helpful in sorting through what can be an
overwhelming set of possibilities, and I thank everybody for their input.

Old August 30th 04, 03:56 AM
Jack Painter

"Johnny Lipps" wrote

website : http://www.benhellmann.com/ . Johnny Lipps is my stage name.
Figure if I'm gonna be here awhile, y'all oughta know who you're reading
-- let the recriminations begin).

We still don't know who you are. A poster in radio communications hobbys who
refuses to state his name. You're a real SHIPMATE, yep.

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach VA

Old August 30th 04, 05:18 AM
Johnny Lipps

Actually Shippy, I'm not a radio-communications hobbyist, nor am I
interested in the dead-end tribal bickering or demonization of oppposing
views that goes on in this newsgroup. Following mark's random hostility
(a question akin to "When did you stop beating your wife?"), I explained
to my girlfriend what a troll was and her only question, sensibly enough,
was "Why would anybody do that?" Indeed.
I stated from the get-go that I'm looking to tune into broadcasts for
Indonesian music. I provided my background in electronics to convey that
I have an understanding of the fundamentals of radio and that therefore
the typical newbie handholding wouldn't be necessary. I want insight on
gear, and leads on broadcasts. So far I've deleted more bad-faith
political threads and personal attacks than I've read information on
equipment. Uncle Arnie and Mark Holden have been quite helpful, while
most others saw my introduction as another chance to vent their particular
gripes.
If for some bizarre reason anybody wanted to know anything about me beyond
my interest in radio, they could have asked instead of assuming (as many
apparently did) that my status as a veteran automatically meant that I was
a right-wing android. Since it became apparent that continued involvement
on the board was going to engender senseless snipes, I dropped the thin
veil of anonymity so that if anybody wanted to learn my political views
they could go to my website instead of reading yet another useless post
(which this has now become).

I'm going with the RX-320. Now I have to read up on constructing the best
antenna for an apartment in an urban area.

Ben Hellmann,
Providence, RI
USA

"Johnny Lipps" wrote

Old August 30th 04, 04:58 PM
clifto

Jack Painter wrote:
"Johnny Lipps" wrote
website : http://www.benhellmann.com/

We still don't know who you are. A poster in radio communications hobbys who
refuses to state his name. You're a real SHIPMATE, yep.

Yeah, how could anyone EVER guess his name from what he wrote there?

--
"The truth, which is what elections are all about, is that the tax burden of
the middle class has gone up while the tax burden of the middle class has
gone down." -- John Kerry, August 26, 2004