Old August 28th 04, 11:09 PM
Telamon

Default Radio Australia very strong on 21740 today

Radio Australia coming in S10 on 21740 today at 22:10 UTC. Good
listening everyone.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 28th 04, 11:23 PM
JuLiE Dxer

I'm not sure what "s10" is suppose to mean but, yes, R.Australia has
a decent signal here in '7' land. Oddly enough, it's peaking at about
's7', though my 300 ft. dipole at 60 ft. fed with ladderline isn't the
best choice for 21 MHz RX of DX. I need to fix the rotor and move the
7 el yagi that direction and see how much stronger it becomes.

MsJuLiE

Old August 29th 04, 01:55 AM
Diverd4777

JuLiE Dxer: What country / Area are you located, BTW..

RNZI on 15.720 comes in fairly strong ehre after 02:00

Dan / NYC

In article , JuLiE Dxer

Subject: Radio Australia very strong on 21740 today

Old August 29th 04, 02:39 AM
Dave Holford

Dan wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 22:23:25 GMT, JuLiE Dxer
wrote:

I'm not sure what "s10" is suppose to mean but, yes, R.Australia has
a decent signal here in '7' land. Oddly enough, it's peaking at about
's7',

So, you don't know what "s10" is, but you *do* know what "s7" is. Are
you *really* this stupid?

Dan

Explain it to us!

Dave
Old August 29th 04, 03:03 AM
Telamon

wrote:

I'm not sure what "s10" is suppose to mean but, yes, R.Australia has
a decent signal here in '7' land. Oddly enough, it's peaking at about
's7',

So, you don't know what "s10" is, but you *do* know what "s7" is. Are
you *really* this stupid?

Dan

Just Plonk him, her or it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old August 29th 04, 03:23 AM
uncle arnie

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 04:09 pm -0600 UTC, Telamon
posted: %MM

Radio Australia coming in S10 on 21740 today at 22:10 UTC. Good
listening everyone.

I'm getting very good signals on 6020 and 9580 at 1200 to 1400 or so UTC for
the past week These are different broadcasts.
--
-
Old August 29th 04, 04:27 AM
Telamon

In article ,
uncle arnie wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 04:09 pm -0600 UTC, Telamon
posted: %MM

Radio Australia coming in S10 on 21740 today at 22:10 UTC. Good
listening everyone.

I'm getting very good signals on 6020 and 9580 at 1200 to 1400 or so UTC for
the past week These are different broadcasts.

I almost never listen to them on 6020.

I usually listen to them on:

21740
17795
15515
13630
9580

The other frequencies usually do not do as well.

I'm listening to them on 15515 right now.

So far today I have listened to Japan, radio Netherlands and Australia.
I will be listening to BBC and New Zealand soon.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old August 29th 04, 06:14 AM
uncle arnie

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:27 pm -0600 UTC, Telamon
posted: %MM

In article ,
uncle arnie wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 04:09 pm -0600 UTC, Telamon
posted: %MM

Radio Australia coming in S10 on 21740 today at 22:10 UTC. Good
listening everyone.

I'm getting very good signals on 6020 and 9580 at 1200 to 1400 or so UTC
for
the past week These are different broadcasts.

I almost never listen to them on 6020.

I usually listen to them on:

21740
17795
15515
13630
9580

The other frequencies usually do not do as well.

I'm listening to them on 15515 right now.

So far today I have listened to Japan, radio Netherlands and Australia.
I will be listening to BBC and New Zealand soon.

I get the BBC very well every local evening here until 0500 UTC on 5975 then
6005 (signal for Africa). RN is from Sackville until I think 0530 and very
loud. I used to listen to NZ, is there some good programming these days?
I sometimes pick up CRI (China) as well. I found Japan a novelty like NZ (a
little folksy). But Australia is my morning show (their evening).

I've often wondered why different freq for different people and more and
more I think its nature of equipment as the main issue, when the listeners
are on the same continent.
--
-
Old August 29th 04, 07:38 AM
longwave

wrote:

I'm not sure what "s10" is suppose to mean but, yes, R.Australia has
a decent signal here in '7' land. Oddly enough, it's peaking at about
's7',

So, you don't know what "s10" is, but you *do* know what "s7" is. Are
you *really* this stupid?

Dan

Your comments really don't deserve a reply, but for the rest of the
group-

Most S-meters give a relative measurement of signal strength. An S-9 on
one receiver might be higher or lower on another model. Few receivers
are calibrated for an accurate measurement of signal strength, such as
micro-volts (uv) or milli-volts (mv).

Old August 29th 04, 05:11 PM
Dave Holford

Once upon a time S units had a specific meaning as part of the RST
system.

S1 Barely perceptible
S2 Very weak
S3 Weak
S4 Fair
S5 Fair to good
S6 Good
S7 Moderately strong
S8 Strong
S9 Extremely strong.

But meter readings, with the exception of a few professional receivers,
have no real meaning other than one signal is stronger than the other.

Some receivers have "Scotch" S meters which read lower than people would
like ; but most modern consumer equipment has sensitive meters which
show even weak signals as the upper end of the scale and thus make the
receiver performance look better.

Then, of course you need higher numbers because even a fair signal is
S9. Solution? add more numbers - usually as dB above S9.

The other problem is that meter deflection is also affected by antenna
gain or loss. Hook up a long wire and that S2 becomes S8 - along with a
lot more noise.

The end result is that while an S meter may show the relative signal
strength on a specific receiver with a specific antenna, they have no
relevance to the readings on a different receiver and/or antenna or to
the true strength of the signal. Which is easily demonstrated:

WWV on 15MHz is currently S5, S7, S2 and S9 on four receivers here.
CHU on 3330kHz is currently S9+10dB, S1, S7, S4 on the same four
receivers.
All receivers are similar performance in terms of sensitivy and
bandwidth, but the HF antennas are all different.

So as a measure of signal strength, antenna and receiver performance S
units are largely irellevant. They are only useful as a measure of
relative strength of different signals on a specific antenna/receiver
combination.

Dave