Old August 31st 04, 11:19 PM
GlennS

Default "What's a CB radio?"

I got a Radio Shack flier in the mail today. The CB handheld
that I've been looking at for a while was on sale. When my wife and I
entered the local store, there was a young girl there who appeared to
be the only employee there. I asked her if she had the handheld CB
that was on sale in stock. She replied, with a deer-in-the-headlights
stare, "CB...?". I said, "CB radio". Honest to God Almighty, she
asked me "What's a CB radio?". I couldn't believe my ears. I showed
it to her in the sale flier. She said, "OK...", and then started
running all over the store, looking for it. She finally returned and
told us, "We don't have any".
Absolutely unbelievable. How do they stay in business?

Old September 1st 04, 03:58 AM
Beloved Leader

GlennS wrote in message tnews.com...

How do they stay in business?

That's easy. Ask yourself how many CB radios are sold in a year. Now
ask yourself how many cellphones are sold in a year.

http://www.cellular.co.za/stats/stats-handsets.htm
Old September 1st 04, 06:00 PM
Gary

(Beloved Leader) wrote in message om...
GlennS wrote in message tnews.com...

How do they stay in business?

That's easy. Ask yourself how many CB radios are sold in a year. Now
ask yourself how many cellphones are sold in a year.

http://www.cellular.co.za/stats/stats-handsets.htm

CB technology has improved drastically in recent years. Remember 9-11?
Those cell phones DIDN'T WORK because the power was off. But a CB
radio will work whether the power company is supplying power or not.
There is no "cell tower" that needs power. Just the batteries in your
unit, or a car battery. If for no other reason, everyone should have
at least one CB radio to use in case of an emergency. Cobra, and
other brands, have kept improving their models over the years and now
offer even HAND-HELD UNITS WITH "SOUND TRACKER," which eliminates 90%
of all the noise.
Old September 3rd 04, 01:57 AM
CW

New name for squelch.

Old September 5th 04, 04:38 AM
Gary

"CW" no adddress@spam free.com wrote in message ...
New name for squelch.

"SOUND TRACKER" and squelch are two totally different items. Sound
Tracker does NOT squelch any signal but works more like a noise
blanker.

Old September 1st 04, 05:50 AM
Charlie B.

GlennS wrote in message news:
Absolutely unbelievable. How do they stay in business?

In my area East Baltimore County three of there stores have closed,
one in a shopping center and two in malls, The only onr lrft in the
area is in a shopping center that has a Motor Vehicle office in it
and the parking is terrible, the stores filthy and it seems that the
few emplyees thet have are only interested in selling cosrly cellular
phones and contracts. In this area if you need parts theres one place
where the people are knowledgavle and have been in business nabby
years. They have a limited selection of CB', marine equipment and
amatuer accessories. I seems crowded almost all thhe time but they
encourage browsing around and they actually have a repair facility.
For audio there are a few places that have decent selections with all
price rangers. Then theres the big box stores (CC,Target Walmart) if
you don't mind the cowds, nice but generic sales people and the
constant announcements , Oh dont forget the long checkout lines and
theyre rent-a-cop security that treat prople like theives.
Old September 1st 04, 12:12 PM
Jim Douglas

RadioShack is a business, they don't give a damm if the pimple faced person
helping you knows the products or not, they care that the sell stuff,
either it's cell phones or cb radios, or some other stupid fad item. Right
now everyone wants cell phones! Tomorrow who knows.

The bottom line in business today is how much $$ they can make no matter
what human cost!

news.com...

Old September 2nd 04, 02:02 AM
James Nipper

They stay in business by selling silly-ass cell phones. That's it.

--James--
Old September 4th 04, 08:17 AM
Stereophile22

By selling new technology and gadgets, not 40 year old stuff. :-)

one of the radio shacks near me has still-brand-new cb radios for sale. never
been opened. But they use crystals!!! and have only either two or four
channels.

This was in 2004.

I know because it was printed on the cb and cb packages theirselves. "two-watt
four-channel crystal-controlled cb radio".

but they didn't have any pro-96 nor any scanners at all.

they did have a lot of cellphones.