Old August 31st 04, 11:19 PM
GlennS

Default "What's a CB radio?"

I got a Radio Shack flier in the mail today. The CB handheld
that I've been looking at for a while was on sale. When my wife and I
entered the local store, there was a young girl there who appeared to
be the only employee there. I asked her if she had the handheld CB
that was on sale in stock. She replied, with a deer-in-the-headlights
stare, "CB...?". I said, "CB radio". Honest to God Almighty, she
asked me "What's a CB radio?". I couldn't believe my ears. I showed
it to her in the sale flier. She said, "OK...", and then started
running all over the store, looking for it. She finally returned and
told us, "We don't have any".
Absolutely unbelievable. How do they stay in business?

Old August 31st 04, 11:46 PM
GlennS

Dan wrote in rec.radio.shortwave...

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:19:56 GMT, GlennS
wrote:

"What's a CB radio?". I couldn't believe my ears. I showed
it to her in the sale flier. She said, "OK...", and then started
running all over the store, looking for it. She finally returned and
told us, "We don't have any".
Absolutely unbelievable. How do they stay in business?

By selling new technology and gadgets, not 40 year old stuff. :-)

Seriously, there can't be too many people looking for CB radios these
days. I didn't even know you could still buy them new.

But it seems that in a store called, "Radio Shack", you could
reasonably expect the salespeople to know what a CB radio is.

Old September 1st 04, 12:23 AM
{FireArm}

news
wrote:

"What's a CB radio?". I couldn't believe my ears. I showed
it to her in the sale flier. She said, "OK...", and then started
running all over the store, looking for it. She finally returned and
told us, "We don't have any".
Absolutely unbelievable. How do they stay in business?

By selling new technology and gadgets, not 40 year old stuff. :-)

Seriously, there can't be too many people looking for CB radios these
days. I didn't even know you could still buy them new.

Dan

same thing happened to me, the other day i went into a well known book
store, and asked for
a copy of "Passport To World band Radio" - i got served by this young 16
year old student who was lucky if she could even spell "Passport To World
band Radio"

Anyway she spent about 10 minutes running around the shop looking for the
book, then
said "whats it called again?" - so again i told her "Passport To World Band
Radio" - she
turns around and says "mm.. i think it might be in the radio section of the
store room.."
came back another 10 minutes later - "you have to order it in" - fine i had
no problem with
that - she taps in a few things on the computer and says "right Passport to
world band radio 2001"
i explain to her i want the latest one.. she looks at me with a dull look on
her face and says
"mmm well.. why dont you just get the 2001 version - it cant be that much
different" -
needless to say i took my cash somewhere else

LOL its almost like they do it on purpose, still it killed about 20 minutes
or so.

Thanx
{FireArm}

(By the way - the shop was WH Smiths is anyone cares)

Old September 1st 04, 01:31 AM
JuLiE Dxer

At least, they spoke English, eh?

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:23:57 GMT, "{FireArm}"
wrote:

news

Old September 1st 04, 02:33 AM
Buzzygirl

"GlennS" wrote in message
news.com...
Dan wrote in rec.radio.shortwave...

But it seems that in a store called, "Radio Shack", you could
reasonably expect the salespeople to know what a CB radio is.

They ought to change their name to Cell Phone Shack, because that seems to
be the only thing they want to sell you when you walk in the door.

Jackie

Old September 1st 04, 03:58 AM
Beloved Leader

GlennS wrote in message tnews.com...

How do they stay in business?

That's easy. Ask yourself how many CB radios are sold in a year. Now
ask yourself how many cellphones are sold in a year.

http://www.cellular.co.za/stats/stats-handsets.htm
Old September 1st 04, 05:50 AM
Charlie B.

GlennS wrote in message news:
Absolutely unbelievable. How do they stay in business?

In my area East Baltimore County three of there stores have closed,
one in a shopping center and two in malls, The only onr lrft in the
area is in a shopping center that has a Motor Vehicle office in it
and the parking is terrible, the stores filthy and it seems that the
few emplyees thet have are only interested in selling cosrly cellular
phones and contracts. In this area if you need parts theres one place
where the people are knowledgavle and have been in business nabby
years. They have a limited selection of CB', marine equipment and
amatuer accessories. I seems crowded almost all thhe time but they
encourage browsing around and they actually have a repair facility.
For audio there are a few places that have decent selections with all
price rangers. Then theres the big box stores (CC,Target Walmart) if
you don't mind the cowds, nice but generic sales people and the
constant announcements , Oh dont forget the long checkout lines and
theyre rent-a-cop security that treat prople like theives.
Old September 1st 04, 12:12 PM
Jim Douglas

RadioShack is a business, they don't give a damm if the pimple faced person
helping you knows the products or not, they care that the sell stuff,
either it's cell phones or cb radios, or some other stupid fad item. Right
now everyone wants cell phones! Tomorrow who knows.

The bottom line in business today is how much $$ they can make no matter
what human cost!

news.com...