Old September 4th 04, 08:33 PM
Robert Bruce Carleton

Default News broadcast use of RTTY or SITOR mode B

I've been looking to see if I can find any news broadcasters like
Reuters or AP still using teletype. I have not found any so far. Is
anyone aware if commercial broadcasters still using teletype?

Thanks,

--Bruce
Old September 5th 04, 01:02 AM
michael agner

Nah, this stuff is on satellite these days. I've seen once in a
while receptions of stuff from the Philippines and Argentina, but it's
very very rare. 73s Mike

Old September 5th 04, 02:33 AM
Robert Bruce Carleton

Too bad. It looks like SITOR B and NAVTEX would make a good news
clippings distribution method.

Old September 5th 04, 06:20 PM
Panzer240

dxAce wrote in :

That may indeed be true, but the news broadcasts have all but virtually
disappeared.

dxAce

SIGH Yes they have gone the way of the DoDo unfortunately. As did the
press wireless stations (great for morse code practice) they replaced before
them Replaced by satellite and RSS feeds on the net. Used to be great fun
Having the old Model 15 Reperf clacking away in the shack copying the news
wires. The smell of oil and ozone and getting the mews before it was in the
papers or on the radio !!!

--
Panzer

Old September 5th 04, 10:40 PM
michael agner

Yeah, I remember talking to a very famous ham about that very subject
many years ago on a 2 meter repeater in the NYC area. He was a reporter
during WW2 and worked in the press office, and he recounted to me
stories about whole banks of Model 60s clacking away with the news.
He used to work for CBS news and is now seen on the Discovery channel
from time to time. 73s Mike

Old September 5th 04, 11:51 PM
Stereophile22

You're probably thinking about the NAVAREA warnings and other
maritime broadcasts; yes, they're still very much around - I copied some
from USCG Boston last night

I have a question? Do you actually need a radio that recieves SSB to copy these
signals with a RTTY decoder, or can the RTTY decoders still copy them fine even
if your shortwave radio can only recieve in AM mode?