Old September 5th 04, 09:56 PM
Honus

Default I.D. help request.

11520 KHz, 2044 UTC

I'm picking it up in Seattle. The signal's not that good, but I'm hearing
"Asian" music. It's pretty pleasant, actually. And I'm having a Pavlovian
response...I'm starting to crave Chinese food. Is this Radio Free Asia out
of Tajikistan? (Dushanbe or Duchanbe...I've seen it both ways.) Does anyone
know of any other possible idents for this? And another question: since this
is a USA broadcast (or rather US funded), does that mean that I can expect a
MW/FM type of identification at or near the top of the hour? Is there a SOP
for that sort of thing from US Gov't broadcasters?

And just of a passing interest, I found this little article at Radio Free
Asia laying out how to make an anti-jamming antenna.

http://www.rfa.org/front/sira/

Old September 5th 04, 11:59 PM
dxAce

Honus wrote:

11520 KHz, 2044 UTC

I'm picking it up in Seattle. The signal's not that good, but I'm hearing
"Asian" music. It's pretty pleasant, actually. And I'm having a Pavlovian
response...I'm starting to crave Chinese food. Is this Radio Free Asia out
of Tajikistan? (Dushanbe or Duchanbe...I've seen it both ways.) Does anyone
know of any other possible idents for this? And another question: since this
is a USA broadcast (or rather US funded), does that mean that I can expect a
MW/FM type of identification at or near the top of the hour? Is there a SOP
for that sort of thing from US Gov't broadcasters?

It is most likely Radio Free Asia, via Tajikistan. They may or may not have an
ID at the TOH.

dxAce

Old September 6th 04, 12:07 AM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Honus wrote:

11520 KHz, 2044 UTC

I'm picking it up in Seattle. The signal's not that good, but I'm hearing
"Asian" music. It's pretty pleasant, actually. And I'm having a Pavlovian
response...I'm starting to crave Chinese food. Is this Radio Free Asia out
of Tajikistan? (Dushanbe or Duchanbe...I've seen it both ways.) Does anyone
know of any other possible idents for this? And another question: since this
is a USA broadcast (or rather US funded), does that mean that I can expect a
MW/FM type of identification at or near the top of the hour? Is there a SOP
for that sort of thing from US Gov't broadcasters?

It is most likely Radio Free Asia, via Tajikistan. They may or may not have an
ID at the TOH.

Alternatively, you might have not been hearing RFA at all, but rather one of the
music jammers that the Chinese are employing against RFA.

dxAce

Old September 6th 04, 12:36 AM
Honus

"dxAce" wrote in message

Honus wrote:

[...]

I kind of figured (and hoped) it was. So, there's no set rule as to whether
they have to ID at the TOH? I can see why some gov't funded stations
wouldn't want to.

Old September 6th 04, 12:59 AM
Kameron Spesial

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 18:59:58 -0400, dxAce wrote:

Honus wrote:

11520 KHz, 2044 UTC

I'm picking it up in Seattle. The signal's not that good, but I'm hearing
"Asian" music. It's pretty pleasant, actually. And I'm having a Pavlovian
response...I'm starting to crave Chinese food. Is this Radio Free Asia out
of Tajikistan? (Dushanbe or Duchanbe...I've seen it both ways.) Does anyone
know of any other possible idents for this? And another question: since this
is a USA broadcast (or rather US funded), does that mean that I can expect a
MW/FM type of identification at or near the top of the hour? Is there a SOP
for that sort of thing from US Gov't broadcasters?

It is most likely Radio Free Asia, via Tajikistan. They may or may not have an
ID at the TOH.

dxAce

You could look it up in a freq database.... uh - maybe not. But did
you know that by asking dxAce you have gone and done a hobby no-no.
You're a bad Honus. Right dX? (I know you're just kidding btw and
you've been a great help).

Old September 6th 04, 01:01 AM
Honus

"dxAce" wrote in message

dxAce wrote:

Honus wrote:

[...]

So in other words, I can't really log this. ID'ing some of these non-English
speaking stations is tough!!

You said music jammers; is there another kind, for instance just static or
white noise?

Old September 6th 04, 01:16 AM
Honus

Honus wrote:

[...]

That's what I did. I looked in a few places, actually. But to the best of my
knowledge, I've never monitered anything from that part of the world,
especially in the daytime. It seemed a bit unlikely to me that I'd be
receiving them. And I'm painfully aware that even though my "Passport" is
the 2004 edition, it can easily be outdated in some instances. I've also
utilized some online services, but they're sometimes quite obviously
out-dated as well. I was thinking that maybe someone who reads the hobby
literature might know something that I didn't...like a new station on the
air, etc.

But did
you know that by asking dxAce you have gone and done a hobby no-no.

Uh...no. I didn't know that. Since I've seen quite a few other people do it
over the last few months with no chastisement, I felt safe in finally asking
for help myself. And for what it's worth, I asked for anybody's help. So if
asking dxAce was the no-no, I'm clean.

You're a bad Honus.

Only because he was an infielder, and I'm an outfielder.

Old September 6th 04, 01:18 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Honus wrote:
is a USA broadcast (or rather US funded), does that mean that I can expect a
MW/FM type of identification at or near the top of the hour? Is there a SOP
for that sort of thing from US Gov't broadcasters?

If the transmitter is outside the United States, then the regulations of
the host country apply. Chances are these regulations don't require
hourly identification - few countries besides the USA have such a
requirement.

Within the US, stations belonging to the federal government are not
subject to FCC regulations - so the hourly ID rules don't apply here
either.

Which doesn't mean the station won't *choose* to identify of its own
volition.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old September 6th 04, 01:25 AM
Honus

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message
Honus wrote:
is a USA broadcast (or rather US funded), does that mean that I can

expect a
MW/FM type of identification at or near the top of the hour? Is there a

SOP
for that sort of thing from US Gov't broadcasters?

If the transmitter is outside the United States, then the regulations of
the host country apply. Chances are these regulations don't require
hourly identification - few countries besides the USA have such a
requirement.

Within the US, stations belonging to the federal government are not
subject to FCC regulations - so the hourly ID rules don't apply here
either.

Which doesn't mean the station won't *choose* to identify of its own
volition.

That was very helpful. Thank you.

Old September 6th 04, 01:31 AM
Telamon

Honus wrote:

[...]

You sure "seem" to have a comprehension problem for a ".edu" address.

You should write any details down about what you heard in your log.
Doing so may help you identify it in the future. You can speculate as to
who you "think" you heard by writing "presumed" or other words to that
effect. If you don't so that then you are stating you "know" you heard
that station. Get it?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

FCC AND AKC SUCK $#!#! EMPEROR OF THE UNIVERSE CB 6 December 30th 04 06:04 PM
The Power Of the AKC Cry_Keyclowns_Cry CB 63 October 24th 04 02:47 AM
another one bites the dust courtesy of the akc gw CB 10 March 4th 04 02:31 AM
N8WWM's Trace-route information NIW CB 1 February 4th 04 03:49 PM
N8WWM's Household: link request Twistedhed CB 0 December 3rd 03 04:53 PM