RadioBanter

-   -   Should I Buy Another Radio?? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/44582-should-i-buy-another-radio.html)

Lucky September 16th 04 11:07 AM

Should I Buy Another Radio??

Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

Thanks for your time
Lucky

Lucky101 September 16th 04 01:20 PM

OK

I see. I thought the R8A and B were almost similar in the more important
features?

I didn't want to drop a bundle on a radio and, I rarely see R8B's for sale
cheap if I see them at all. I can pick up on R8A for like $500. I don't even
know if that's a good price. I figured it's not worth more then 4 bills to
me really.

A friend told told me there is not a heck of a lot of difference between the
NRD-525 and the Drake. But everyone has their own opinion and it can't work
for everyone. That's why I'm asking. Thanks

"Dan" wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:07:39 -0400, Lucky
wrote:

Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

I wouldn't waste money on an R8 or R8A. I have an R8 and it's not
that great. The R8B is the one you want.

Dan

Mark S. Holden September 16th 04 03:03 PM

Lucky wrote:

Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

Thanks for your time
Lucky

Hi

It would be easier for people to give good advice if they knew what you were hoping to accomplish.

I had an original R8. It was a good radio, and it did everything pretty well.

As Dan has mentioned, the R8b has the better sync detector. Sideband selectable sync is nice - I use it all the time on my Harris.

The original one had the nicer tuning knob. Not a performance feature, but hey, you'll probably spend a lot of time using it.

The Drakes have nice audio - particularly if you use a good external speaker, so you'd probably enjoy one for program listening.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Grundig Sat 800. While it's got a circuit designed by Drake, they're made in China, and the build quality doesn't impress me. They're also incredibly large. They remind me of the stereos they used to sell in Woolworths back
in the 70's. Speaker cabinets would be 5 feet tall, 2 feet wide, and weigh close to 10 pounds.

KK4TL September 16th 04 03:08 PM

Lucky wrote ...

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

It's radio .. no you don't need it.

Buy it.

Have it.

Enjoy it.

You can't have too many radios.

BDK September 16th 04 03:12 PM

In article ,
says...
Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

Thanks for your time
Lucky

I have a NRD-525, and have had a Kenwood R5000 with the YK88A1 filter,
also a Frg7700. The only advantages an R8x(any model) has over the 525
is much better AM audio quality and synch detection. I rarely listen to
AM, and the ergonomic advantages of the NRD-525 make it any easy choice
for me over the Drakes. I don't like the looks of the Drakes, they just
look cheap, IMO. Their operation is awkward, and to me, most of the
front panel is backwards. To me, nothing are as pleasant to use as my
NRD515, and my Hammarlund HQ100(modded to the max) are. IMO, the Kenwood
is a match for the Drakes, audio quality wise, and close everywhere else
except for the sync detector not being there.

I wouldn't spend the money on a Drake, unless you really need the sync
detector..

BDK

Lucky September 16th 04 03:19 PM

Hi

I'm pretty new to SW radio. Not even a year into the hobby. I'm getting more
and more into looking around for obscure SSB stations and weak muddy
stations. All in all I want to own the best within price constraints so I
know I'm working with good equipment and if I can't get a certain staion in
it's my own fault and/or my antenna.

I think the NRD-525 is pretty good as well as the r-5000 really. I just
wondered if I bought the Drake and if I were in dark, would I notice
anything different about the Drake.

But you guys have given me the main reasons so far.

RHF September 16th 04 03:59 PM

= = = Lucky wrote in message
= = = . ..

Hi fellas

I'm new to this group and would like your advice based on your broad
knowledge of radios. OK I have 5 radios.

1] JRC NRD-525 stock
2] Kenwood R-5000 YK-88a-1 and remote options
3] FROG-7 stock, mint
4] Ten Tec 320-D
5] FRG-7700 FRA-7700 and F5 low pass filter options
6] Degen 1103

Now, I've been looking to buy a Drake R8 or R8A since I've read so
many good things about them and many of you own one.
My question is, do I need it and will I *notice a big difference
owning one over my other 5 radios?

Now when I ask "do I need it", I hope you radio owners know what I
mean by that.

Thanks for your time
Lucky

LUCKY,

Keep #1, #4 and #6.

Sell #2, #3, and #5.

Buy a new Drake R8"B"

jm2cw ~ RHF

..

Mark S. Holden September 16th 04 04:16 PM

Lucky wrote:

Hi

I'm pretty new to SW radio. Not even a year into the hobby. I'm getting more
and more into looking around for obscure SSB stations and weak muddy
stations. All in all I want to own the best within price constraints so I
know I'm working with good equipment and if I can't get a certain staion in
it's my own fault and/or my antenna.

I think the NRD-525 is pretty good as well as the r-5000 really. I just
wondered if I bought the Drake and if I were in dark, would I notice
anything different about the Drake.

But you guys have given me the main reasons so far.

Well, for what you're looking to do, I think I'd consider something other than the Drake.

Here's the radio I enjoy the most:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4673&item=57204600 58&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I know nothing about the seller, or the condition of his radio.

It's a lifestyle choice - it's probably a little larger than the Sat 800, and weighs about 50 pounds. It has no memories - it doesn't even use a tuning knob. But it's great at digging stuff out of the mud and making it sound good. I've owned newer and
more expensive military radios, but never a better performer, or one that was easier on the ears. It has sideband selectable sync detection, (They call it AFC) and a fancy AGC circuit that doesn't get easily confused.

My other suggestion is smaller, more expensive, has convenience features and if you put in the right filters can sound almost as good - the AOR AR7030+
You'll pay about $1000 for a used one. I have one I set up as a "transportable" for camping trips and vacations.

But for home use, if I could only have one, I'd go with a 550 - even if it was more expensive than the 7030. (and it shouldn't be)

You might also consider an Icom R75. I've never tried one. Folks say it's a great radio, but to get them to work the way they're supposed to, you need to modify them with a couple dollars worth of parts. The idea people who aren't engineers can greatly
improve a radio for pocket change is enough to keep me away. I'd revise my feelings if Icom incorporated the most common mods in the next batch they made.

If you're interested in radios, a good book to get is "Shortwave Receivers Past and Present" by Fred Osterman. Universal Radio sells it. It has basic information and specs for hundreds of radios. But it's overdue for an update - many of the current
model tabletops aren't in it.

Good luck with your hunt, and if you end up with a 550, feel free to email me for tips on how to use the AFC and coherent AGC. It's actually quite easy, but I can save you an hour or two of guessing.

Lucky September 16th 04 04:16 PM

Since you've owned many of my radios I think you're in a good position to
answer my question. I just might save my money for a computer upgrade in
Dec then unless I hear something else.

I use external speakers and the 525's audio output is superb for it's age
that's for sure.

The thing is I love collecting these radios but I've spending just too much
money. I bought these 6 radios in less then 7 months. It's addictive. The
funny thing is, the guy selling the R8a told me if I have a 525 I won't hear
the station any better. After that reply I just had to ask you guys.