Old September 19th 04, 06:49 PM
CW

I keep reading this about fluorescent lights and yes, some are noisy but
most are no problem. I have a four foot, two tube fluorescent in my shack.
No noise from it at all. I have four, four foot, two tube fixtures in the
garage. No problem with them either.

provides some relief from
household appliances & the neighbors dimmers (a device that is
outlawed in my home as are flourescent lights - real noise
generators).

Old September 19th 04, 07:23 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"CW" no adddress@spam free.com wrote:

I keep reading this about fluorescent lights and yes, some are noisy but
most are no problem. I have a four foot, two tube fluorescent in my shack.
No noise from it at all. I have four, four foot, two tube fixtures in the
garage. No problem with them either.

provides some relief from
household appliances & the neighbors dimmers (a device that is
outlawed in my home as are flourescent lights - real noise
generators).

Once the old ballast type have started up into a good bulb you will
probably not hear much noise from a fluorescent but the newer high
efficiency switching type can make plenty of noise.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 19th 04, 08:31 PM
Jack Painter

"Telamon" wrote
Once the old ballast type have started up into a good bulb you will

probably not hear much noise from a fluorescent but the newer high
efficiency switching type can make plenty of noise.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

How about the new Xenon (flourescent-type) fixtures - we're getting ready to
put these under cabinets in a new kitchen. Anybody have experience with
interference from them?

Thanks,

Jack

Old September 20th 04, 04:57 AM
Telamon

In article k8l3d.28$cN6.22@lakeread02,
"Jack Painter" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote
Once the old ballast type have started up into a good bulb you will

probably not hear much noise from a fluorescent but the newer high
efficiency switching type can make plenty of noise.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

How about the new Xenon (flourescent-type) fixtures - we're getting ready to
put these under cabinets in a new kitchen. Anybody have experience with
interference from them?

I would need more information from you on the model. I would get a
report on the fixture before I bought it. Basically it comes down to how
the current for the bulb is regulated in the amount of EMI generated.
Some RFI is generated by the bulb plasma when conditions are not good
for the bulb. You might want to just buy one unit and test it with a
radio. The problem is that things may change as the fixture ages. The
unit unit might not be a problem until later in its life.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 20th 04, 05:36 AM
Jack Painter

"Telamon" wrote
"Jack Painter" wrote:

How about the new Xenon (flourescent-type) fixtures - we're getting

ready to
put these under cabinets in a new kitchen. Anybody have experience with
interference from them?

I would need more information from you on the model. I would get a
report on the fixture before I bought it. Basically it comes down to how
the current for the bulb is regulated in the amount of EMI generated.
Some RFI is generated by the bulb plasma when conditions are not good
for the bulb. You might want to just buy one unit and test it with a
radio. The problem is that things may change as the fixture ages. The
unit unit might not be a problem until later in its life.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Thanks, I don't know any specs about them yet, as the first sets we got
turned out to be plug-ins and we need the hard-wired type. They are
expensive, and purportedly have advantages that the XYL's like. Fwiw, I
never experienced anymore than barely noticeable interference from
flourescent lights new or old, incl one within inches of my equipment. But
dimmer switches and sodium (security) lamps can sound like a buzz-saw.

73,

Jack