Old September 20th 04, 04:44 PM
aristotle

Default What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.
Old September 20th 04, 04:53 PM
Mark S. Holden

aristotle wrote:

What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

DX is a term usually applied to distant, weak or otherwise challenging signals.

SWLing applies to any shortwave listening.
Old September 21st 04, 12:46 AM
Micro MegaWatt

Kind of in the ear of the beholder, but I would say SWLing is the pursuit of
listening to program material (of whatever genre) on the shortwave bands.
For example Folks born in other countries want info and perhaps music from
the homeland. A language student might listen to an SWL station in the
studied language to gain profiency.

DXing is the pusuit of hearing and logging distant stations for the sake of
garnering many different countries and stations and perhaps collecting QSL
cards from same.

However many listeners do both.

--
One Watt

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism;
to steal from many is research.
-- Comedian Steven Wright

"aristotle" wrote in message
om...
What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

Old September 21st 04, 01:11 AM
Tony Meloche

aristotle wrote:

What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

One opinion? There is one, three, five international (or domestic) SW
broadcasts you listen to regularly. That's all you care to do with the
SW receiver. It is, to you, a radio that tunes different frequencies
from your AM/FM set, but you use it about the saem way. That's SW
listening.

Or, you like to experiment with antenna configurations, you keep close
logs of what you've found on the air, you are always trying to find and
ID some signal you haven't logged before, (and the further from you the
transmitter is, or the lower that transmitter's output power, the more
you prize that ID) and you probably stay up too late at night, or get up
at ungodly hours of the morning to "see what you can find". That's
SWDX.

Tony
Old September 21st 04, 08:10 AM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 20:11:24 -0400, Tony Meloche
wrote:

aristotle wrote:

[...]

This is the only part oif your description that involves DX.
All the rest may be said of any otherwise enthusiastic SWLer.

Old September 22nd 04, 10:58 PM
m II

aristotle wrote:

What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

dX ing is a step towards a differential calculus. It means a change, or
Delta in X

http://www.cs.unc.edu/~davemc/Class/...ture9/line.gif

This is also known as 'Rise over Run' in slopehead circles.

Don't let the masses here convince you otherwise.

SWL probably means dxAces' initials.

mike
Old September 22nd 04, 11:38 PM
clifto

m II wrote:
aristotle wrote:
What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

dX ing is a step towards a differential calculus. It means a change, or
Delta in X

No, silly, that's dY-by-dXing. dX is what you chop dFirewood with.

--
Frank Abagnale on "Rathergate" (the CBS forgery scandal):
"If my forgeries looked as bad as the CBS documents, [the movie "Catch Me If
Old September 23rd 04, 04:50 AM
m II

clifto wrote:

dX ing is a step towards a differential calculus. It means a change, or
Delta in X

No, silly, that's dY-by-dXing. dX is what you chop dFirewood with.

That would certainly explain my problems in school.

I'm OK now, though...they got a real good job placement for me. I work
with a guy named Steve Lare, but only **I** get to use the spray gun!

http://www.zzz.com.ru/zzz_original_site/pic78.jpg

mike
Old September 24th 04, 07:50 AM
starman

aristotle wrote:

What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

Dx'ing is a particular kind of Swl'ing (shortwave listening). It
involves the pursuit of hard to hear stations, whether they be
international program broadcasters, utility stations (data or voice) or
amateur radio transmissions. All Dx'ers are Swl'ers but the reverse is
not necessarily the case.

Old September 25th 04, 10:58 PM

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:50:54 -0400, starman wrote:

aristotle wrote:

What is the difference between shortwave dxing and swling.

Dx'ing is a particular kind of Swl'ing (shortwave listening). It
involves the pursuit of hard to hear stations, whether they be
international program broadcasters, utility stations (data or voice) or
amateur radio transmissions. All Dx'ers are Swl'ers but the reverse is
not necessarily the case.

You don't think "distance" is the primary concept in DX?