Old September 22nd 04, 07:05 AM
Tempest

Default Icom R75 or Satellit 800 ? Help!

Hi, I'm wanting to get into SW listening but I'm torn betwen those 2
models and I'm not 100% sure what characgteristics are the most/least
relevant of each.

Which radio would be best for a noob getting into SW anew?

If not those, what other radio and why? I only have about six-hundred
bucks to spend.

Thanks

Old September 22nd 04, 08:53 AM
Matti Ponkamo

"Tempest" kirjoitti viestissä
news
Hi, I'm wanting to get into SW listening but I'm torn betwen those 2
models and I'm not 100% sure what characgteristics are the most/least
relevant of each.
Which radio would be best for a noob getting into SW anew?
If not those, what other radio and why? I only have about six-hundred
bucks to spend.

Thanks

*Both* are good receivers. Satellit has some properties that R75 doesn't
have - and vice versa.

I would buy the R75 because it may be the right choice in the long run
for my shortwave oriented listening and I have only little experience in
such world band radios like Satellit. Not to forget that I am a radio
amateur and my needs are different in *that* direction.

Satellit has a good FM band and its audio quality is superb, it is easy to
use. R75 has more SW "possibilities", say, after modifications at least,
and its "cost efficiency" is very, very good.

Also, good used equipment can be found, other than those mentioned,
to satisfy the listening needs *and* the wallet.

Hard to decide. Which are your aims?

73 de Matti Ponkamo, OH1GPU, SDXL 2445
Naantali, Finland

Old September 22nd 04, 02:45 PM
T. Early

"Tempest" wrote in message
news
Hi, I'm wanting to get into SW listening but I'm torn between those

2
models and I'm not 100% sure what characteristics are the

most/least
relevant of each.

Which radio would be best for a noob getting into SW anew?

If not those, what other radio and why? I only have about

six-hundred
bucks to spend.

Thanks

Do you have access on your newsreader to rec.radio. shortwave posts
over even the last 10 days or so? There's been considerable
discussion of both of these radios--and comparative discussion--that's
kind of hard to summarize, but would probably answer your questions.
My oversimplified version of the consensus would be that both are
worthy, and that the Icom may be better for "digging out" harder to
receive stations, while the Grundig (larger and heavier) is a good
"program listener's" radio with some DX capabilities.

Old September 22nd 04, 02:58 PM
Steve

If you're just getting started, I wouldn't recommend either the 800 or
the R-75. I would recommend the SW7600GR. You can get one for under
$200 and it's a fine little readio. Use it with 20 or 30 feet of wire
out the window and you'll be off and running. It also has SSB
capabilitites, which you should familiarize yourself with even if
you're primarily interested in broadcast listening.

If you've had the SW7600GR for a while and find that your enthusiasm
for shortwave listening continues to grow, then consider moving up. I
personally wouldn't recommend the Eton Satellit 800, though (unless
you can get a really good deal on a used one). My experience with it
(which is contradicted by the experience of many others) has been
disappointing. Besides, it's not really a portable and there are
vastly superior units (like the R-75) in essentially the same price
range.

If you want to mess around remotely with an R-75 just to see what you
can see, go he http://www.ralabs.com/webradio/.

Best,

Steve

Old September 22nd 04, 03:18 PM
Mark S. Holden

Steve wrote:

[...]

If his budget is $600, he might be one of those folks who wants to make sure any problems he has can't be blamed on the radio.

Having started in the hobby several times before figuring out my problem was the radios I was buying weren't good enough for my expectations, I don't blame him.

The Sony gets good reviews for a portable, but it doesn't have features the other radios he's looking at have.

Radios I'd look at in that range include a used Drake R8 or R8a.

Personally, I'd avoid the Sat 800 because of build quality concerns, and because I figure it's too large for what it is.

Old September 22nd 04, 10:01 PM
Bob

I would go with the R-75 because it has more tools to help dig out
signals.
The ICOM will be more difficult for a newbie to learn but things like
RF gain, pass band, and noise blankers can be very helpful.
If you need good audio get an external speaker or a garage sale
boom box with a few short wave bands on it. Some of them sound better
than the S-800 on strong signals and usually cost under $10.00.
People get rid of them because the tape player no longer works.
Bob
Old September 22nd 04, 04:35 PM
RHF

= = = Tempest wrote in message
= = = . ..

Hi, I'm wanting to get into SW listening but I'm torn between
those 2 models and I'm not 100% sure what characgteristics are
the most/least relevant of each.

Which radio would be best for a noob getting into SW anew?

If not those, what other radio and why? I only have about
six-hundred bucks to spend.

Thanks

TEMPEST,

I Am Glad You Asked )

If you are a International Shortwave "Program Listener"; also
enjoy AM/MW Talk Radio and FM Music Listening; then consider
the Grundig Satellit 800 M.

If your are a primarily interested in Shortwave and HAM Radio
"DXing" and not very interested in AM/MW Talk Radio and FM
Music Listening; then consider the Icom IC-R75 Receiver.

If you still can not decide - Buy Both ) ~ RHF

..
Old September 25th 04, 10:46 AM
Eric Snyder

Why not become a Ham Radio Operator? As a Ham Operator, you can talk
with other Hams all over the world using frequency bands within the
shortwave radio spectrum. Depending on your license class, you can
send data, Morse Code and Images as well as voice. You can get a great
used Ham Radio rig with built in shortwave receive for around $500.00
or less. Sure, you wont get syncronous AM detection, TAPE Output, or
clock / timer functions but the receiver section will be at least as
good as the better SWL receivers on the market. The Kenwood
TS-450S/AT would make a great Ham radio transceiver and a SWL
receiver. Plus it has 100 memory channels so you can program your
favorite SWL stations.

Eric N7DLV

(RHF) wrote in message . com...