Old September 23rd 04, 05:32 PM
4nradio

Default Tropical Band Loggings for Sept. 23: Indonesia & Japan

INDONESIA 2960, 1354-1405, RPDT2 Manggarai Sep 23 Probable. Two women in
discussion or interview at 1354; heard one of the women exclaim 'That's the
way it is! Talk to me, baby!' in English, and then return to Indonesian
talk. Light folk music from 1358 to 1404, then talk by woman announcer; too
weak of a signal for ID. Poor level, with occasional peaks to fair. Best on
NW Beverage. (Atkins-WA)

JAPAN 3970 USB, 1413-1421, NHK Unid. Outlet Sep 23 Two men in discussion in
Japanese to instrumental music 1418; mentions of 'NHK' 1421. Fair to good
signal with some ham radio QRM. Most likely the 600 watt Sapporo station
rather than the further south and weaker Nabeta transmitter. (Atkins-WA)

NOT SHORTWAVE, BUT...this week has been another interesting one for
trans-Pacific MW DX during the fall equinox period. Japanese and Korean
stations continue to be audible on my NW antenna in the few minutes before
local dawn (1355 UTC). On Tuesday, JOAK Tokyo on 594 and JOUB Akita 774 were
the strongest, while JOQR Tokyo on 1134 has consistently put in the best
high band signal.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
Modified RA6790GM & R75
Kiwa MAP / ERGO / DSP-59+
450 & 700 ft. Beverage Antennas

Old September 23rd 04, 05:38 PM
dxAce

4nradio wrote:

INDONESIA 2960, 1354-1405, RPDT2 Manggarai Sep 23 Probable. Two women in
discussion or interview at 1354; heard one of the women exclaim 'That's the
way it is! Talk to me, baby!' in English, and then return to Indonesian
talk. Light folk music from 1358 to 1404, then talk by woman announcer; too
weak of a signal for ID. Poor level, with occasional peaks to fair. Best on
NW Beverage. (Atkins-WA)

Those low frequency 'alphabet' Indo's are hard to catch here. Nice one!

dxAce

Old September 24th 04, 09:10 PM
John Plimmer

re 2960 IND - Its very hard to get anything down so low on the band.
It's over 8,000 miles from you and only 300 watt power - very nice catch.

I'm a great believer in the advantages of equinox grayline DXing
South 33 d 47 m 540 s, East 20 d 07 m 541 s.
RX Drake R8B, SW8
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

Old September 24th 04, 10:01 PM
dxAce

John Plimmer wrote:

re 2960 IND - Its very hard to get anything down so low on the band.
It's over 8,000 miles from you and only 300 watt power - very nice catch.

I'm a great believer in the advantages of equinox grayline DXing

Yep, that usually does the trick. I've got a bunch of Indo's QSL'd up in the 90
meter band, but nothing below there.

Another DX season is dawning though, so who knows.

dxAce

Old September 24th 04, 10:11 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

re 2960 IND - Its very hard to get anything down so low on the band.
It's over 8,000 miles from you and only 300 watt power - very nice catch.

I'm a great believer in the advantages of equinox grayline DXing

Yep, that usually does the trick. I've got a bunch of Indo's QSL'd up in the 90
meter band, but nothing below there.

I guess my best SW DX that low would be La Voix du Zaire on 2703 back in 1990. That
would be Katanga on the NASWA List.

Old September 24th 04, 10:26 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

re 2960 IND - Its very hard to get anything down so low on the band.
It's over 8,000 miles from you and only 300 watt power - very nice catch.

I'm a great believer in the advantages of equinox grayline DXing

Yep, that usually does the trick. I've got a bunch of Indo's QSL'd up in the 90
meter band, but nothing below there.

I guess my best SW DX that low would be La Voix du Zaire on 2703 back in 1990. That
would be Katanga on the NASWA List.

I'm glad I went and looked that up! I discovered looking through my one of my QSL
albums that I did indeed have a QSL from Fak-Fak on 4789.7 from February 1991. I
didn't think I had them QSL'd.

Old September 25th 04, 03:22 AM
John Plimmer

Nice catch there Steve - it amazes me how you QSL them with local stamps and
in the local language - who gives you that stuff?

The only thing I get low down the band occasionally is 2310 Khz ABC
"Territory R." Alice Springs.
Last catch I got on a DXpedition that far down was:
Frequency Time Date Mode Language Station Town Country Power QTH
3,395.00 2311 01/03/13 AM VV RRI TANJUNG KARANG INDONESIA 10 ARN1

Old September 25th 04, 06:58 AM
dxAce

John Plimmer wrote:

Nice catch there Steve - it amazes me how you QSL them with local stamps and
in the local language - who gives you that stuff?

I used to get stamps from either DX Stamp Service
6137 Patriot Drive, Apt. 13
Ontario, NY 14519
USA or

The later has/had prepared cards as I recall in various languages.

Reception reports were written using Gerry Dexters Language Lab, Indonesian
edition.

I haven't been into sending the stamps over the past number of years as they are
fairly expensive, and putting a $1 in the envelope seems to work just as well.

But I suppose with some countries the mint stamp route would be better.

I had forgtten also that I have the low band Aussies QSL'd as well. Memories!

dxAce

Old September 25th 04, 07:02 AM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

Nice catch there Steve - it amazes me how you QSL them with local stamps and
in the local language - who gives you that stuff?

I used to get stamps from either DX Stamp Service
6137 Patriot Drive, Apt. 13
Ontario, NY 14519
USA or

I see that link doesn't work, so perhaps he is out of business?

Here is his last address:

William J. Plum
12 Glenn Road
Flemington, NJ 08822-3322

The latter has/had prepared cards as I recall in various languages.

Old September 25th 04, 07:22 AM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

Nice catch there Steve - it amazes me how you QSL them with local stamps

and
in the local language - who gives you that stuff?

I used to get stamps from either DX Stamp Service
6137 Patriot Drive, Apt. 13
Ontario, NY 14519
USA or

I see that link doesn't work, so perhaps he is out of business?

LOL, I now see that tha's his email address... Oh well... It's late!