Old September 24th 04, 08:12 PM
Telamon

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Steve wrote:

dxAce wrote in message
yojimbo wrote:

Is Iceland still broadcasting on shortwave?

Yes. You can check for the sked by searching for ISL in the
following doc:

http://www.susi-und-strolch.de/eibi/bc-a04.txt

Both the state run radio and AFRTS are on.

dxAce

I'd like to hear the state run station. Any idea how hard it is to
receive from the Eastern US?

I haven't tried them in quite some time. AFRTS has been audible here.

I have picked up AFRTS with a strong signal here in southern California
on 13855 USB and 7590 USB but that was some time ago. I have not heard
them on 9980 yet but I have not tried.

If Iceland broadcasts in english I'll give them a try. Do they broadcast
in english? What do you think would be the best time for me to try to
hear them?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 24th 04, 08:34 PM
yojimbo

The only English I have heard there is the occasional station ID, I had
heard in the past they did a few mins of news in English, but I never caught
that myself. I was recently on Cape Breton Island (North-East Nova Scotia)
and tried to catch Iceland on some old frequencies, I figured if they came
in fairly well in Ontario, Cape Breton should have been a breeze. Next time
I'll come with the correct rreqs. Great to hear they're still on, a couple
years ago on Media Network (Radio Nederland) I heard a report that Iceland
would be taking their transmissions off SW.

Old September 24th 04, 08:35 PM
dxAce

Telamon wrote:

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Steve wrote:

dxAce wrote in message
yojimbo wrote:

Is Iceland still broadcasting on shortwave?

Yes. You can check for the sked by searching for ISL in the
following doc:

http://www.susi-und-strolch.de/eibi/bc-a04.txt

Both the state run radio and AFRTS are on.

dxAce

I'd like to hear the state run station. Any idea how hard it is to
receive from the Eastern US?

I haven't tried them in quite some time. AFRTS has been audible here.

I have picked up AFRTS with a strong signal here in southern California
on 13855 USB and 7590 USB but that was some time ago. I have not heard
them on 9980 yet but I have not tried.

If Iceland broadcasts in english I'll give them a try. Do they broadcast
in english? What do you think would be the best time for me to try to
hear them?

No English but 13865 at 2300-2335 might make it to you, or the 15775 b'cast at
1835-1905 might make it.

dxAce

Old September 25th 04, 03:21 PM
Ruud Poeze

yojimbo schreef:

is 189 from iceland?

Yes, it is.

can't get any LWs here in ontario (again, yb400), but when i go to bay of
fundy every summer, can catch quite a few. 162 comes in strongest,

This is France (public) with very high mod.

252 seems
to have disappeared,

Used to be Atlantic 252 from Ireland, 500 kW day (local time) and 100
night, music station, commercial, aimed at UK (border blaster).
Now back with 100 kW, RTE 1, for Ireland itself.

but 189 comes in regularly too, never knew where it
came from

Must be Iceland.
ruud
Old September 26th 04, 12:36 AM
Telamon

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Steve wrote:

dxAce wrote in message
yojimbo wrote:

[...]

I tried today at just after 18:00 UTC on 13865 USB and had nothing so I
tuned in just before 22:55 UTC and heard them start up at 22:59 on my
atomic synchronized clock and they switched off at 23:29 UTC. Don't
understand Icelandic so no positive ID from me. Sounded like Russian or
some other slavic language. Not a very strong signal, noisy S3 on the
peaks.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old September 26th 04, 03:57 AM
Telamon

In article

,

Telamon wrote:

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Steve wrote:

dxAce wrote in message
yojimbo wrote:

[...]

I have AFRTS on 9980 from Iceland very weak and noisy. Apparently they
no longer broadcast on 13855 which would explain why I no longer hear
them there. The AFRTS web page still lists them on 13855 with no mention
of 9980.

http://myafn.dodmedia.osd.mil/radio/shortwave/

Earlier I had AFRTS on Key West Florida 12,133.5 now I hear them on
5,446.5 and Guam 13362. All signals very weak.

I usually hear Hawaii on 10,320 but not today.

I have very strong RTTY near 7590 and a AM station just below 7507.

I have not heard Puerto Rico in a while. Someone else posted the same
thing in another thread a few days ago.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 26th 04, 11:25 AM
dxAce

Telamon wrote:

In article

,

Telamon wrote:

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article , dxAce
wrote:

Steve wrote:

dxAce wrote in message
yojimbo wrote:

[...]

The updates to their page always seem to have a huge lag time. For example, Diego
Garcia has apparently not been heard for a very long time, but it is still listed
there.

dxAce