RadioBanter

-   -   quick question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/44785-quick-question.html)

Brian September 26th 04 01:26 AM

quick question

I'm getting ready to take down my antenna for my move next week, and I'd
like to take my ground rod with me as well, but I'm not sure if it would
just be a big deal that I'd probably just as well avoid. Anyone ever pulled
one up? Should I just forget it about it and get a new one? Just curious.

-Brian

Jack Painter September 26th 04 01:38 AM

"Brian" wrote

I'm getting ready to take down my antenna for my move next week, and I'd
like to take my ground rod with me as well, but I'm not sure if it would
just be a big deal that I'd probably just as well avoid. Anyone ever

pulled
one up? Should I just forget it about it and get a new one? Just curious.

-Brian

Hi Brian, this idea has been tossed around a lot, and the consensus I recall
was; try turning the ground rod with a pipe or strap wrench as you are
pulling on it. If that frees it, you made out. Using a truck-jack and other
wild but possible ideas did not seem worth the $13 for a new rod.

Good luck on the move.

Jack

Brian September 26th 04 02:05 AM

Hi Brian, this idea has been tossed around a lot, and the consensus I
recall
was; try turning the ground rod with a pipe or strap wrench as you are
pulling on it. If that frees it, you made out. Using a truck-jack and other
wild but possible ideas did not seem worth the $13 for a new rod.

Good luck on the move.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. I was kind of thinking along the same lines as you mentioned.
I should probably just stop being so damn cheap and pluck down the fifteen
bucks for a new one, which is likely what I will do after one good futile
attempt.

-Brian

Brian Hill September 26th 04 07:36 AM

"Brian" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm getting ready to take down my antenna for my move next week, and I'd
like to take my ground rod with me as well, but I'm not sure if it would
just be a big deal that I'd probably just as well avoid. Anyone ever

pulled
one up? Should I just forget it about it and get a new one? Just curious.

-Brian

Ground rods are cheap. Why overwork yourself trying to pull it out of the
ground? Mine is six feet in and it would be a bear to get out?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

ScanMan September 26th 04 01:53 PM

I put a soak hose by mine for an hour or so and then put on a pair of
leather gloves and pulled it right out, twisting and wiggling it as I did so
and it was easy once the ground was damp.

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

ink.net...

Tony Meloche September 26th 04 02:48 PM

Brian wrote:

I'm getting ready to take down my antenna for my move next week, and I'd
like to take my ground rod with me as well, but I'm not sure if it would
just be a big deal that I'd probably just as well avoid. Anyone ever pulled
one up? Should I just forget it about it and get a new one? Just curious.

-Brian

Considering the relative inexpensiveness of them, and the inevitable
corrosion, etc. on the current one, I'd leave it. If you have tough,
clay-like soil, I'd *absolutely* leave it and buy another at your new
residence.

Tony

[email protected] September 26th 04 03:00 PM

I did that once.. I placed a set of Vice Grips on the rod and then used
a common shovel. Used the shovel as a lever and eased the rod up a few
inches at a time while remounting the Vice Grips on the rod as the rod
would ease out..

- Roger

[email protected] September 27th 04 05:17 AM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 10:00:12 -0400, wrote:

I did that once.. I placed a set of Vice Grips on the rod and then used
a common shovel. Used the shovel as a lever and eased the rod up a few
inches at a time while remounting the Vice Grips on the rod as the rod
would ease out..

It might help to soak the ground and torque on the visegrips
to see if you can break it loose. It mught make pulling the rod a lot
easier.

Brian Hill September 27th 04 03:38 PM

"ScanMan" wrote in message
I put a soak hose by mine for an hour or so and then put on a pair of
leather gloves and pulled it right out, twisting and wiggling it as I did

so
and it was easy once the ground was damp.

You would have to spend at least $20 in labor and water to remove my rod and
I can buy another for $8-10 at the supply house. My 2c