Old September 26th 04, 01:26 AM
Brian

Default quick question

I'm getting ready to take down my antenna for my move next week, and I'd
like to take my ground rod with me as well, but I'm not sure if it would
just be a big deal that I'd probably just as well avoid. Anyone ever pulled
one up? Should I just forget it about it and get a new one? Just curious.

-Brian

Old September 26th 04, 01:38 AM
Jack Painter

"Brian" wrote

I'm getting ready to take down my antenna for my move next week, and I'd
like to take my ground rod with me as well, but I'm not sure if it would
just be a big deal that I'd probably just as well avoid. Anyone ever

pulled
one up? Should I just forget it about it and get a new one? Just curious.

-Brian

Hi Brian, this idea has been tossed around a lot, and the consensus I recall
was; try turning the ground rod with a pipe or strap wrench as you are
pulling on it. If that frees it, you made out. Using a truck-jack and other
wild but possible ideas did not seem worth the $13 for a new rod.

Good luck on the move.

Jack

Old September 26th 04, 02:05 AM
Brian

Hi Brian, this idea has been tossed around a lot, and the consensus I
recall
was; try turning the ground rod with a pipe or strap wrench as you are
pulling on it. If that frees it, you made out. Using a truck-jack and other
wild but possible ideas did not seem worth the $13 for a new rod.

Good luck on the move.

Jack

Thanks, Jack. I was kind of thinking along the same lines as you mentioned.
I should probably just stop being so damn cheap and pluck down the fifteen
bucks for a new one, which is likely what I will do after one good futile
attempt.

-Brian

Old September 26th 04, 07:36 AM
Brian Hill

"Brian" wrote in message
ink.net...
I'm getting ready to take down my antenna for my move next week, and I'd
like to take my ground rod with me as well, but I'm not sure if it would
just be a big deal that I'd probably just as well avoid. Anyone ever

pulled
one up? Should I just forget it about it and get a new one? Just curious.

-Brian

Ground rods are cheap. Why overwork yourself trying to pull it out of the
ground? Mine is six feet in and it would be a bear to get out?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old September 26th 04, 01:53 PM
ScanMan

I put a soak hose by mine for an hour or so and then put on a pair of
leather gloves and pulled it right out, twisting and wiggling it as I did so
and it was easy once the ground was damp.

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

ink.net...

Old September 26th 04, 02:48 PM
Tony Meloche

Brian wrote:

I'm getting ready to take down my antenna for my move next week, and I'd
like to take my ground rod with me as well, but I'm not sure if it would
just be a big deal that I'd probably just as well avoid. Anyone ever pulled
one up? Should I just forget it about it and get a new one? Just curious.

-Brian

Considering the relative inexpensiveness of them, and the inevitable
corrosion, etc. on the current one, I'd leave it. If you have tough,
clay-like soil, I'd *absolutely* leave it and buy another at your new
residence.

Tony
Old September 26th 04, 03:00 PM

I did that once.. I placed a set of Vice Grips on the rod and then used
a common shovel. Used the shovel as a lever and eased the rod up a few
inches at a time while remounting the Vice Grips on the rod as the rod
would ease out..

- Roger

Old September 27th 04, 03:38 PM
Brian Hill

"ScanMan" wrote in message
I put a soak hose by mine for an hour or so and then put on a pair of
leather gloves and pulled it right out, twisting and wiggling it as I did

so
and it was easy once the ground was damp.

You would have to spend at least $20 in labor and water to remove my rod and
I can buy another for $8-10 at the supply house. My 2c

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian
A lot of radios and 100' of rusty wire!
Zumbrota, Southern MN
Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/

Quick inductor question... jim&julz Homebrew 12 December 20th 03 04:15 AM
Quick inductor question... jim&julz Homebrew 0 December 18th 03 11:58 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Skullcracka Deadkey question. Ninjaman808 CB 15 July 31st 03 12:47 AM