Old September 28th 04, 09:05 PM
dxAce

Default LARGE BEAMS IN CLEVELAND?

I have a question. Just east of the 271 around Cleveland, Ohio, are
three of the largest beam antennas I've ever seen. They look like
tower cranes off in the distance, until you notice that they are GIANT
rotatable beam antennas. I'm guessing the largest one had a 150' boom
and was on a 300' tower. It may have been larger, as it was off in the
distance (a couple of miles from the highway?) and hard to tell. Does
anybody on the list know about this rather extreme installation? Is it
a tower or antenna factory's R&D lab? Just wondering (Guy in Lockport
Falsetti, NY, Sept 26, WTFDA via DXLD)

Anyone have any idea?

dxAce
Michigan

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old September 29th 04, 01:43 AM
Brian Hill

"dxAce" wrote in message
I have a question. Just east of the 271 around Cleveland, Ohio, are
three of the largest beam antennas I've ever seen. They look like
tower cranes off in the distance, until you notice that they are GIANT
rotatable beam antennas. I'm guessing the largest one had a 150' boom
and was on a 300' tower. It may have been larger, as it was off in the
distance (a couple of miles from the highway?) and hard to tell. Does
anybody on the list know about this rather extreme installation? Is it
a tower or antenna factory's R&D lab? Just wondering (Guy in Lockport
Falsetti, NY, Sept 26, WTFDA via DXLD)

Anyone have any idea?

dxAce
Michigan

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

I think you may be talking about the NASA Glenn Research Center?

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old September 29th 04, 01:49 AM
Chuck Reti

In article , dxAce
wrote:

I have a question. Just east of the 271 around Cleveland, Ohio, are
three of the largest beam antennas I've ever seen. They look like
tower cranes off in the distance, until you notice that they are GIANT
rotatable beam antennas. I'm guessing the largest one had a 150' boom
and was on a 300' tower. It may have been larger, as it was off in the
distance (a couple of miles from the highway?) and hard to tell. Does
anybody on the list know about this rather extreme installation? Is it
a tower or antenna factory's R&D lab? Just wondering (Guy in Lockport
Falsetti, NY, Sept 26, WTFDA via DXLD)

Anyone have any idea?

dxAce
Michigan

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Is it near the FAA Cleveland Center? I remember going by The FAA
facility in southern New Hampshire and they had some tall towers with
gigantic log-periodics on them. Assuming possibly HF comm backup?

Or maybe a really rich ham with a super contest station.

Chuck Reti
WV8A
Detroit MI