Old October 3rd 04, 06:34 PM
dxAce

Default First Radio?

What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back in
the 1960's.

Anyone else remember those things?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 3rd 04, 06:43 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back in
the 1960's.

And it was tuned by turning the nose cone. It was red and white (maybe some blue,
but I don't recall that).

Old October 3rd 04, 06:55 PM
Pierre Vachon

Mine was the Sony 2010
I now have a Drake R8B

Pierre

Old October 6th 04, 03:54 AM
beaver

dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back in
the 1960's.

And it was tuned by turning the nose cone. It was red and white (maybe some blue,
but I don't recall that).

Anyone else remember those things?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

My first radio was also a rocket shaped radio when I was a youngster.
It would have been mid to late fifties. All I remember is it had a
small antenna about 2-3 inches that was pulled out at tip of nose. I
don't remember if this was for tuning or just an antenna. Listening was
by earphone only and was able to pick up local AM stations.
Old October 3rd 04, 06:54 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

This what you are referring to?

http://www.bluesky.com/warren/radios/rocketradio/

ANOTHER

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Atrium...al/Rocket.html
--
Keyboard to you

Old October 3rd 04, 07:02 PM
dxAce

Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:

This what you are referring to?

http://www.bluesky.com/warren/radios/rocketradio/

Looks similar, but I recall the one that I had being tuned by twisting the nose
cone itself, rather than a pull out, push in type of tuner.

I'm sure there must have been various variations. Brings back memories.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 3rd 04, 07:11 PM
Michael

"dxAce" wrote in message
What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back
in
the 1960's.

Anyone else remember those things?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I wish I remember the exact model. I also wish I still had it. It was a
Zenith with one of those tops that flip up. It had, I think, two shortwave
bands, marine band and air band along with mw band and fm. My parents got
it for me as a Christmas gift when I was 12. That was 26 years ago. After
I had it for about five years it got left out in the rain and then thrown
away. At the time, there wasn't anything I though I could do to repair it.
All it probably needed was a cleaning and a new speaker.

Michael

Old October 6th 04, 01:26 AM
dxAce

On 03 Oct 2004 18:33:52 GMT,

Subject: First Radio?
From: dxAce

Date: 10/3/2004 12:34 PM Central Daylight Time
What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back in
the 1960's.

Anyone else remember those things?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

A Hammarlund AACS variant of the Super Pro. Tuned from 300 kc to 10 mc.

My family had an old Philco upright (about four feet tall)
with a knob to change bands (BC and a few SW), The speaker was about
12 inches. There was a tuning knob with an inner fine tuning knob on a
concentric shaft. It also had a tube for tuning, whose name I forget.

Magic Eye?

It was mounted with the top forward and the lower sector of the circle
widened and narrowed as you tuned past stations. I believe it operated
by cjanging the voltage on an element to shield more or less of the
electron flow to a cone shaped element just below the top.

The first I built had a germanium slug in a holder, which also
had a catwhisker mounted nearby in its own holder. The coil was made
of enameled wire mounted on a flat rectangular block;. To get it to
work just after construction, you had to wipe the slider a number of
times across the coil wires to break through the enamel, leaving a
shiny copper arc showing.

It was the first place I came across fahnestock clips -- for
the antenna and ground.