Old October 3rd 04, 06:34 PM
dxAce

Default First Radio?

What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back in
the 1960's.

Anyone else remember those things?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 3rd 04, 06:43 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back in
the 1960's.

And it was tuned by turning the nose cone. It was red and white (maybe some blue,
but I don't recall that).

Old October 3rd 04, 06:54 PM
Keyboard In The Wilderness

This what you are referring to?

http://www.bluesky.com/warren/radios/rocketradio/

ANOTHER

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Atrium...al/Rocket.html
--
Keyboard to you

Old October 3rd 04, 06:55 PM
Pierre Vachon

Mine was the Sony 2010
I now have a Drake R8B

Pierre

Old October 3rd 04, 07:02 PM
dxAce

Keyboard In The Wilderness wrote:

This what you are referring to?

http://www.bluesky.com/warren/radios/rocketradio/

Looks similar, but I recall the one that I had being tuned by twisting the nose
cone itself, rather than a pull out, push in type of tuner.

I'm sure there must have been various variations. Brings back memories.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 3rd 04, 07:11 PM
Michael

"dxAce" wrote in message
What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back
in
the 1960's.

Anyone else remember those things?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I wish I remember the exact model. I also wish I still had it. It was a
Zenith with one of those tops that flip up. It had, I think, two shortwave
bands, marine band and air band along with mw band and fm. My parents got
it for me as a Christmas gift when I was 12. That was 26 years ago. After
I had it for about five years it got left out in the rain and then thrown
away. At the time, there wasn't anything I though I could do to repair it.
All it probably needed was a cleaning and a new speaker.

Michael

Old October 3rd 04, 11:58 PM
DesignGuy

"dxAce" wrote in message
What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back

in
the 1960's.

Anyone else remember those things?

I'm assuming you mean shortwave radio. My first was a Sears ComTrek IX - it
actually belonged to my dad but I sort of "took it over" once I discovered
the SW bands on it. It had a flip down door where a little logbook could be
kept, and among the various AM and VHF logs was a sole entry for Radio RSA
South Africa. That was enough to pique my interest at 10 yrs of age.

The first "real" SW radio of my own was the Realistic DX-160 I received for
Christmas one year (c. 1978 or so).

Old October 4th 04, 12:02 AM
dxAce

DesignGuy wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back

in
the 1960's.

Anyone else remember those things?

I'm assuming you mean shortwave radio.

No, not necessarily.

Old October 4th 04, 12:46 AM
Tony Meloche

DesignGuy wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message
What was your first radio?

I seem to recall that mine was a rocket shaped crystal set that I had back

in
the 1960's.

Anyone else remember those things?

My first radio of any kind was a two-transistor "Hinode" AM radio.
That was replaced some months later by a 6 transistor Panasonic model
T-601. I still have that radio, and it still works!

My first shortwave radio (or at least shortwave capable) was a 1937
Zenith console, replete with "Magic Eye", voice/music tone controls, all
those standard old goodies. It worked fine, except that the main power
output was two 6L6GC's and you could only use one, as it badly needed a
cap job, and with both power tubes in, it hummed like a B-17.

Tony