Old October 6th 04, 04:38 AM
Chuck

Default What's Your Signal Strength?

Just curious of typical signal strengths people are receiving and with what
kind of antenna and radio. I am using an Icom 718
with an indoor 30 foot random wire. I know, I know I'm going to put up a
better antenna but that's what I've got for now. By the way I'm in Texas.

October 06, 2004 00:27 UTC
Radio Netherlands 9.845
S10 to S25

October 06, 2004 03:16 UTC
Radio China 9.720
S10 to S20

October 06, 2004 03:20 UTC
WWV 10.000
S8 Lots of Noise

October 06, 2004 03:25 UTC
BBC 5.975
S10 to S15

October 06, 2004 03:32 UTC
Radio China
S8

October 06, 2004 03:35 UTC
Radio Taiwan 5.950
S10

Old October 6th 04, 10:27 AM
JuLiE Dxer

For what it's worth:

October 6th, 2004 @ 0900 UTC
WWV
@ 5000 kHz at about 25 dB over s9

October 6th, 2004 @ 0902 UTC
WWV
@ 2500 kHz peaks at 50 dB over s9

October 6th, 2004 @ 0905 UC
Radio New Zealand International
@ 9885 kHz varies between 30 dB over s9 to 50 dB over s9

October 6th, 2004 @ 0915 UTC
EWTN Global (Religious Brainwashing)
@ 5950 kHz peaks at +60 dB over s9 ( I need to turn on antenuator)
to avoid distortion from too strong of a signal.

October 6th, 2004 @ 0920 UTC
Armed Forces Network
@ 6350 USB peaks at about 40 dB over s9.

I'm only using an FT-847 with 100 ft. of ladder line going up to a
center-fed dipole at about 60ft.. overall dipole length about 320
feet.

Old October 6th 04, 10:58 AM
dxAce

Chuck wrote:

[...]

I've generally found 'S' meter readings to be deceiving at times, as the 'S'
meters on all radios are not necessarily calibrated the same, and vary from
manufacturer to manufacturer, and even from radio to radio from the same
manufacturer.

dxAce
Michigan

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old October 6th 04, 03:22 PM
Chuck

Julie...

Good signal report. Wanna trade antennas? I'll probably be putting up a
decent antenna in the next few weeks but it will be an indoor attic antenna.
I'm sure it will still be worlds ahead of what I have now. Maybe I'll
compare the two just for laughs. Obviously though, a 30 foot random wire
will do the trick in a pinch.

DXAce...

Your right... It's just a rough measure.

Old October 6th 04, 10:51 PM
RHF

= = = JuLiE Dxer wrote in message
= = = . ..
For what it's worth:

October 6th, 2004 @ 0900 UTC
WWV
@ 5000 kHz at about 25 dB over s9

October 6th, 2004 @ 0902 UTC
WWV
@ 2500 kHz peaks at 50 dB over s9

October 6th, 2004 @ 0905 UC
Radio New Zealand International
@ 9885 kHz varies between 30 dB over s9 to 50 dB over s9

October 6th, 2004 @ 0915 UTC
EWTN Global (Religious Brainwashing)
@ 5950 kHz peaks at +60 dB over s9 ( I need to turn on antenuator)
to avoid distortion from too strong of a signal.

October 6th, 2004 @ 0920 UTC
Armed Forces Network
@ 6350 USB peaks at about 40 dB over s9.

I'm only using an FT-847 with 100 ft. of ladder line going up to a
center-fed dipole at about 60ft.. overall dipole length about 320
feet.

JULIE DXER,

Why a 320 Foot 'long' Dipole ?
? overall dipole length ?
- Are you counting the 60 feet of ladder line in the 320 feet ?
- Dipole Tip-to-Tip 260 Feet ~ 1.8 MHz (160 M Band)

iwtk ~ RHF