Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 6th 04, 12:17 PM
Lucky

Default Icom R75 vs the Drake R8a

Hi gentlemen

It looks like I've narrowed my next radio down to these two. I did bid on a
Harris RF-550 last week but my $606 bid got taken out.

I'll be using the receiver for AM BC during the day, and local Hams and
DX'ing at night into the wee hours. I know the R8a has selectable sideband
and AM sync if I'm correct.

But the R75 is supposed to be extremely well built and I can get free DSP
and a rebate for $50 coming out to a $475 final price. I think I can pick
up a R8A for about $500 to $600. So the price difference may not be that
huge at all.

The only thing is that the R75 will be brand new and the R8a used.

So what do you guys think? What bothers me about the R75 is I hear the AM
audio is just not too great and you need to work around it.
Some people say the AM sound is not that bad at all, but most others say it
needs help.

I need your experience and opinions please?

Thank you
Lucky