Old October 8th 04, 07:09 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

Default I find this VERY interesting.. we're policing speech worldwide now??

From the IndyMedia website:

Thursday morning, US authorities issued a federal order to Rackspace
ordering them to hand over Indymedia web servers to the requesting agency.
Rackspace, which provides hosting services for more that 20 Indymedia sites
at its London facility, complied and turned over the requested servers,
effectively removing those sites from the internet.

Since the subpoena was issued to Rackspace and not to Indymedia, the reasons
for this action are still unknown to Indymedia. Talking to Indymedia
volunteers, Rackspace stated that "they cannot provide Indymedia with any
information regarding the order." ISPs have received gag orders in similar
situations which prevent them from updating the concerned parties on what is
happening.

It is unclear to Indymedia how and why a server that is outside the US
jurisdiction can be seized by US authorities.

At the same time an additional server was taken down at Rackspace which
provided streaming radio to several radio stations, BLAG (linux distro), and
a handful of miscellanous things.

The last few months have seen numerous attacks on independent media by the
US Federal Government. In August the Secret Service used a subpoena in an
attempt to disrupt the NYC IMC before the RNC by trying to get IP logs from
an ISP in the US and the Netherlands. Last month the FCC shut down community
radio stations around the US. Two weeks ago the FBI requested that Indymedia
takes down a post on the Nantes IMC that had a photo of some undercover
Swiss police and IMC volunteers in Seattle were visited by the FBI on the
same issue. On the other hand, Indymedia and other independent media
organisations were successfull with their victories for example against
Diebold and the Patroit Act. Today however, the US authorities shut down
IMCs around the world.

The list of affected local media collectives includes Ambazonia, Uruguay,
Andorra, Poland, Western Massachusetts, Nice, Nantes, Lilles, Marseille (all
France), Euskal Herria (Basque Country), Liege, East and West Vlaanderen,
Antwerpen (all Belgium), Belgrade, Portugal, Prague, Galiza, Italy, Brazil,
UK, part of the Germany site, and the global Indymedia Radio site.

--
Illigitimus non tatum carborundum

(Don't let the *******s wear you down)

Old October 8th 04, 11:57 AM
dxAce

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

From the IndyMedia website:

[...]

Must have possibly been up to something nefarious.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

There's a little dx, in everything I post. ©

Old October 8th 04, 01:47 PM
m II

dxAce wrote:

The list of affected local media collectives includes Ambazonia, Uruguay,
Andorra, Poland, Western Massachusetts, Nice, Nantes, Lilles, Marseille (all
France), Euskal Herria (Basque Country), Liege, East and West Vlaanderen,
Antwerpen (all Belgium), Belgrade, Portugal, Prague, Galiza, Italy, Brazil,
UK, part of the Germany site, and the global Indymedia Radio site.

Must have possibly been up to something nefarious.

Yes. They were practicing freedom of speech. We all know how much you
hate that.

Will you be buying another thousand rounds of ammunition this weekend?
You implied this is tied to voting registration irregularities in Ohio,
where OVER 100 percent of all eligible voters have already registered.

mike
Old October 8th 04, 01:50 PM
dxAce

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

The list of affected local media collectives includes Ambazonia, Uruguay,
Andorra, Poland, Western Massachusetts, Nice, Nantes, Lilles, Marseille (all
France), Euskal Herria (Basque Country), Liege, East and West Vlaanderen,
Antwerpen (all Belgium), Belgrade, Portugal, Prague, Galiza, Italy, Brazil,
UK, part of the Germany site, and the global Indymedia Radio site.

Must have possibly been up to something nefarious.

Yes. They were practicing freedom of speech. We all know how much you
hate that.

Will you be buying another thousand rounds of ammunition this weekend?
You implied this is tied to voting registration irregularities in Ohio,
where OVER 100 percent of all eligible voters have already registered.

Will you be looking to purchase a clue this weekend? You've implied via your posts
in the past that you do not currently have one.

LMAO at the stupid Canadian 'tard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 8th 04, 02:28 PM
m II

dxAce wrote:

LMAO at the stupid Canadian 'tard.

How long have you **Loved MAO**?

Were you converted to the Chinese communist cause during your last
military service? It appears you've hated the democratic way of life
ever since. I don't think freedom hating lunatics such yourself should
be able to amass large numbers of guns and thousands of rounds of
ammunition.

You fit the profile of a older, single, male nut case just waiting to
climb a local tower in order to teach the (fill in name of suspected
enemies here) *******s a lesson.

Will the upcoming elections be the 'trigger' for your breakdown?
Get help before it's too late.

mike

Old October 8th 04, 02:35 PM
dxAce

m II wrote:

dxAce wrote:

LMAO at the stupid Canadian 'tard.

How long have you **Loved MAO**?

Computer illiterate? (Not surprising) LMAO = Laughing My Ass Off.

Were you converted to the Chinese communist cause during your last
military service? It appears you've hated the democratic way of life
ever since. I don't think freedom hating lunatics such yourself should
be able to amass large numbers of guns and thousands of rounds of
ammunition.

You fit the profile of a older, single, male nut case just waiting to
climb a local tower in order to teach the (fill in name of suspected
enemies here) *******s a lesson.

Tower? Surely you jest 'tard boy. I'm looking forward to crossing the border...

Obviously lots of *******s over there.

LMAO at the hilariously simple Canadian 'tard.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 11th 04, 06:30 PM
MnMikew

"m II" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:

The list of affected local media collectives includes Ambazonia,

Uruguay,
Andorra, Poland, Western Massachusetts, Nice, Nantes, Lilles, Marseille

(all
France), Euskal Herria (Basque Country), Liege, East and West

Vlaanderen,
Antwerpen (all Belgium), Belgrade, Portugal, Prague, Galiza, Italy,

Brazil,
UK, part of the Germany site, and the global Indymedia Radio site.

Must have possibly been up to something nefarious.

Yes. They were practicing freedom of speech. We all know how much you
hate that.

Will you be buying another thousand rounds of ammunition this weekend?
You implied this is tied to voting registration irregularities in Ohio,
where OVER 100 percent of all eligible voters have already registered.

At least we can buy ammunition, unlike you. Your freedoms are eroded every
year. You're just to dim to notice.

Old October 8th 04, 03:01 PM
supernovii

To answer your question, yes, it appears that some fascistic DXers -- step
forward JuLiE Dxer -- would indeed very much crave policing speech worldwide
right now. It's the New Rome.

Old October 8th 04, 03:07 PM
JuLiE Dxer

This is not the place for your political rants. Usenet has special
groups just for your posts. You wont be censored there.

Old October 8th 04, 04:02 PM
Brian Running

This is not the place for your political rants. Usenet has special
groups just for your posts. You wont be censored there.

I've made the same comment here many times. It would be nice if the group
really were focused on shortwave.

Just the same, I've watched in the past when Mike Terry was attacked by the
right-wingers for making the same plea, and the usual right-wing suspects
jump all over him, justifying their political posts here by attempting to
tie them into what they hear on shortwave. And I find it amusing that none
of the usual right-wingers are coming to the aid of Yojimbo now, defending
his right to do the same. Of course, the true irony is that it's typically
the right-wingers that holler the loudest about "double-standards." It all
depends upon whose ox is being gored.

As for me, I feel strongly both ways. The political shouters here are all
so eloquent and well-reasoned, I have to change my position constantly as
they persuade me first one way and then the other.