Old October 14th 04, 05:48 AM
Honus

Default Poor reception

It's 0435 UTC on Wednesday, and here in Seattle I can't even pick up Fort
Collins which usually comes in pretty well. For that matter, I can't get a
time check anywhere.

Of course, Dr. euGene Scott's coming in loud and clear out of Denton, Texas.
Argh.

I'm picking up a few transmissions here and there, but this has to be one of
the worst nights I've seen in the few short months that I've been at this.
I'm still trying to muddle my way through solar fluxes, indexes, etc. Can
anyone recommend a site explaining said phenomena that's aimed at rookies
like myself? And has anyone else noticed this lousy reception tonight? Any
explanations? Thanks as always!

Old October 14th 04, 08:35 AM
Kachina 78

I have also noticed that tonight,(0730 GMT 10/14/04) is a poor reception night.
As far as explaining solar fluxes, indeces, etc., this months (October) Popular
Commnications,has a good article on the subject. Good DX'ing to you.
Old October 14th 04, 01:20 PM
Diverd4777

( Last night )
7.415 , ( Maine) 5.105, ( Maine) 17.675 ( New Zealand ) all Static

5.975 ( From Antigua) comes in fine..

( This A.M 12:25 UTC, to be exact...)
..
12.095 ( Ascencion Island Fair )
13.665 ( Sackville ( Great)
9.580 ( Australia) Solid

-Reception during solar storms Comes and goes;
try it again in 30 minutes..

Multiple radios helps

Dan / NYC

In article ,
(Kachina 78) writes:

Subject: Poor reception
From:
(Kachina 78)

Old October 14th 04, 01:40 PM
dxAce

.
12.095 ( Ascencion Island Fair )
13.665 ( Sackville ( Great)
9.580 ( Australia) Solid

-Reception during solar storms Comes and goes;
try it again in 30 minutes..

Multiple radios helps

I guess you'll have to explain how multiple radios help in a solar storm. Lets
say 9580 is out due to a solar storm. Having two, three, or four radios is not
going to help at all.

Nice to look at though I suppose as one waits for band conditions to improve I
guess.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old October 14th 04, 04:44 PM
Billy Everhart

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:40:52 -0400, dxAce wrote:

Nice to look at though I suppose as one waits for band conditions to improve I
guess.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I guess. I suppose. LMAO at the trolled 'tardy one. Hey dx - voting
for Kerry?

Muhahhahhahha

Old October 14th 04, 06:02 PM
Mark Zenier

In article , dxAce wrote:

Diverd4777 wrote:

-Reception during solar storms Comes and goes;
try it again in 30 minutes..

Multiple radios helps

I guess you'll have to explain how multiple radios help in a solar storm. Lets
say 9580 is out due to a solar storm. Having two, three, or four radios is not
going to help at all.

Sure it will, if another is tuned to 6020. Often, in a good storm, the
church station in the Philipines goes away and you can get Radio Aus.
in the clear. (12:00 - 14:00 UTC).

Mark Zenier Washington State resident