Old October 14th 04, 12:36 PM
George S. Thurman

Default RFPI teams up with PACIFICA RADIO

The following is from the RFPI Newsletter. I thought I would re-post it
here for those who may not be on the RFPI
Mailing list.

George S. Thurman

--------------------

October 15, 2004

In this edition:

* Pacifica Radio's Board approves donation for re-start of shortwave
broadcast
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

PACIFICA RADIO BOARD OF DIRECTORS VOTE TO SUPPORT RFPI

To many listeners it would seem logical that an alliance between
Pacifica Radio and RFPI would take place. Pacifica Radio was founded by
pacifist Lew Hill in 1949 -- its network of five FM stations and
affiliates remain the backbone of progressive media in the U.S.

On October 1st, the Pacifica Board of Directors held their annual
meeting in Washington, D.C. On the agenda was a proposal to use
Pacifica's help to re-establish RFPI's shortwave operation at a cost of
$250,000. RFPI's General Manager James Latham and RFPI Advisory Board
member Chuck Scurich were invited to give a presentation outlining the
shortwave broadcast project, its cost and time line. "We pointed out
at the meeting the common goals of the two organizations and our
similar and shared programming." said James Latham, RFPI's General
Manager.

Proceeding the proposal and board meeting were months of weekly
meetings after a team of RFPI advisors and staff was formed to hammer
out the details. Contact with several of the Pacifica Board was
established in order to run the different options by them. The
teamwork effort paid off with the Pacifica Board members voting
unanimously on the proposal.

"With the support of Pacifica Radio we could comfortably see the return
of Pacifica and RFPI programming to shortwave in six to 12 months. This
also indicates a forward-looking collaborative approach for both
organizations and an assured increase in listenership." said James
Latham.

A big thanks to Chuck Scurich, Tom Voorhees, Franklin Seiberling, Joe
Bernard, Ray Feeney, Bill Taylor, Jean Parker, Charlie Willikins, James
Latham, the Pacifica Board and others for their commitment to making
progressive voices heard on shortwave again.

YOUR STATION'S NEEDS

If you have read this far it is obvious that you have a strong interest
in Radio For Peace International. We need your help to keep the
messages of peace flowing. Below is some of the station's urgent needs
-- please help in whatever amount you can.

After long use, the station's microbus that transports students,
volunteers and staff needs a motor overhaul. We have found a mechanic
who is willing to donate the labor but the engine parts have to be
covered. Needed: $425.

Early next year RFPI will be holding two IPC Peace Journalism courses.
The present office and studios are too small so there is a need to move
into a larger facility. We have found a new home closer to were the
students will be staying but need donations to cover the next six
months of rent: $300 x 6 months. Can you donate a month or more?

Please send your donation in check or money order to:

Radio for Peace International/IPC Support
P.O. box 3165
Newberg, Oregon
97132, USA

Or donate electronically by visiting the RFPI web page www.rfpi.org and
clicking on the paypal icon then following the directions.