Old October 15th 04, 11:11 PM
JuLiE Dxer

Let the war begin?!

America versus the evil FCC and money hungry electrical companies!
Old October 16th 04, 06:15 AM
Sir Cumference

JuLiE Dxer wrote:

Let the war begin?!

America versus the evil FCC and money hungry electrical companies!

If, and I say if, BPL ever does get rolling and raking in the big bucks,
watch for Powell and some of the other higher lawyer officials in the
FCC leave for high paying jobs do nothing jobs with energy companies as
their reward for pushing BPL through.

Old October 16th 04, 08:01 PM
Michael Lawson

I'd be surprised if BPL actually started raking in
some dough for two main reasons:

1) Joe Average isn't going to think that hooking up
his power line into a little "box thingy" (my non-tech
relatives' term) is going to give him "instant internet",
he'll think that it'll probably fry his computer at the
first lightning strike or power outage. (Corollary:
I'm still having a problem convincing my father that
we could run an outside antenna into his house to
improve his television reception safely without it
becoming a target for lightning. My parents' house
isn't the highest house in the area and there are plenty
of trees that are higher, unlike my own abode.)

2) Phone line DSL and Broadband Cable already have
a huge lead in this dept. Locally, the DSL provider
eliminated the speed difference between it and
Zoomtown by bumping people up to 3 Mbps. BPL
would have to go much faster and/or be much cheaper
before people would switch. Unless, of course, Time
Warner continues to suck in terms of service....

--Mike L.

Old October 16th 04, 11:00 PM
JuLiE Dxer

Corporate America can spy on you much, much easier through BPL. As if
data mining spy apps aren't bad enough.