Old October 16th 04, 05:00 PM
John

SR wrote in message ...
I was wondering if durring WW2, did people record audio broadcast on
shortwave and if they, what are these recording called and where could I
hear them at?

73

You might try searching out some OTR (Old Time Radio) sites and
checking out the 'news' files. Many have news mp3 files of WWII.
Though there are no files directly linked to shortwave, the nightly
radio news back then would feature live reports from the different
theaters of combat via 'shortwave' -- if the 'atmospherics' were
cooperating. Sort of like live via satellite (when live satellite
feeds were a big deal for the nightly news). It's kind of fun
listening to these live reports and hearing the static and other QRM
and QRN one gets used to when listening to shortwave. And sometimes
the atmospherics didn't cooperate and all you heard was static and
then the anchor, like Robert Trout, would apologize for the static. I
believe the news files you need to check out are like...CBS WORLD NEWS
TONIGHT. This particular news division featured a lot of live reports
via shortwave during their nightly broadcasts. Used effectively by
Edward Murrow. It was the way William Shirer would report nightly from
Berlin. And as he later said, he wouldn't know whether he was giving a
great report, or if all his efforts were simply dissipating into the
static. He would get reports back from New York the next day through
phone calls whether his live reports had made it through.
Old October 20th 04, 05:28 PM
A.Pismo Clam

At last! Someone remembered Edward R. Murrow and the group [Shirer,
Trout, Eric Sevareid, Charles Collingwood, Larry LeSueur, Richard C.
Hottelet, Winston Burdett and Cecil Brown] known affectionately as "The
Murrow Boys"

P.B.S. did a 2 hour "American Master" documentary entitled: "Edward R.
Murrow: This Reporter [Part I]. May still be available at P.B.S.
Some shots of early transmitters and Philco receivers and shortwave
audio clips from London [during the "Blitz"] and Berlin and the great
journalistic reporting from the concentration camp, Buchenwald. You can
hear the QRM, QRN, and the RTTY from an adjoining frequency.

You can also search for a 33 RPM vinyl record entitled, "This Is Edward
R. Murrow". It was produced by CBS News for the CBS network. It was an
original broadcast, aired just a few days after Murrow died on April 27,
1965. Several s.w. broadcasts there also.

--
MZ
Old October 20th 04, 11:16 PM
John

"A.Pismo Clam" wrote in message ...
[...]

Unfortunately I missed that PBS showing, but thanks for the heads-up.
I had read numerous books on journalists of that era, especially if it
pertained to radio (and therefore shortwave) broadcasts. Two good
books come to mind: THE MURROW BOYS and BERLIN DIARY. THE MURROW BOYS
is a recent book (well, about 5 years old), and it gives a good bio on
each reporter that worked with Murrow; and of course, how they
broadcast their reports. And BERLIN DIARY is simply a good book
written by William Shirer describing his years reporting from Berlin,
which delves into his radio broadcasts some. He became famous because
of his Berlin shortwave broadcasts, but then he became a superstar (at
that time) due to this book he wrote when he departed Berlin. And
there is also a good (surprisingly,) made-for-TV movie called THE
NIGHTMARE YEARS based on Shirer's BERLIN DIARY, which is quite
informative too.
Old October 16th 04, 06:59 PM
Frank Dresser

"SR" wrote in message
I was wondering if durring WW2, did people record audio broadcast on
shortwave and if they, what are these recording called and where could I
hear them at?

73

The US government was very interested in US citizens, such as Tokyo Rose and
Ezra Pound, broadcasting from enemy countries . They recorded those
broadcasts, and the recordings were used in the trials. The recordings are
probably stored in the National Archives or someplace like that.

Practically nobody had recording equipment back then. Consumer wire
recorders weren't available until after the war. EH Scott was recording
broadcasts from Australia onto disks back in the thirties, and he might have
done some of that during the war. I'll bet there weren't any blank disks
available to civilians during the war.

Frank Dresser

Old October 16th 04, 08:43 PM
Michael Black

"Frank Dresser" ) writes:

Practically nobody had recording equipment back then. Consumer wire
recorders weren't available until after the war. EH Scott was recording
broadcasts from Australia onto disks back in the thirties, and he might have
done some of that during the war. I'll bet there weren't any blank disks
available to civilians during the war.

Indeed I seem to recall something about how various recordings were lost
during the war because they were recycled due to shortages. Unfortunately,
I can't remember where I might have read that, or even if I'm just imagining
it.

Michael

Old October 17th 04, 03:17 AM
Frank Dresser

"Michael Black" wrote in message

Indeed I seem to recall something about how various recordings were lost
during the war because they were recycled due to shortages.

Unfortunately,
I can't remember where I might have read that, or even if I'm just

imagining
it.

Michael

That makes sense. The most common disks were made of aluminum with a
acetate recording surface. Aluminum was probably the most important metal
in the wartime scrap drives.

Frank Dresserr

Old October 18th 04, 12:44 AM
Gray Shockley

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 12:59:40 -0500, Frank Dresser wrote
(in message ):

"SR" wrote in message
I was wondering if durring WW2, did people record audio broadcast on
shortwave and if they, what are these recording called and where could I
hear them at?

73

The US government was very interested in US citizens, such as Tokyo Rose and
Ezra Pound, broadcasting from enemy countries . They recorded those
broadcasts, and the recordings were used in the trials. The recordings are
probably stored in the National Archives or someplace like that.

There were magnetic tape recordings used during World War 2.

Can you say, "Magnetophon"? There, I knew you could. And it was off an USA
invention, at that.

Gray
------
Dux

Old October 18th 04, 01:03 AM
m II

Gray Shockley wrote:

There were magnetic tape recordings used during World War 2.

Can you say, "Magnetophon"? There, I knew you could. And it was off an USA
invention, at that.

I thought it was based on the German developed *wire* recorder. Same
idea as tape, just using an easily magnetized wire..

http://www.ieee-virtual-museum.org/c...=2345848&lid=1

mike
Old October 18th 04, 05:37 PM
Frank Dresser

"Gray Shockley" wrote in message
.com...

There were magnetic tape recordings used during World War 2.

That's true. When I wrote "practically nobody had recording equipment back
then", I was refering to individuals. Of course, there was also alot of
professional disk recording equipment around in the US.

I don't know what they used to record Ezra Pound and Tokyo Rose, but I've
read the quality was poor. I assumed it was disks, but tape would have been
preferable, because it's easily flagged for reference.

Can you say, "Magnetophon"? There, I knew you could. And it was off an USA
invention, at that.

Gray
------
Dux

Here's a reference I stumbled across while I was looking up something else:

http://www.tvhandbook.com/History/History_tape.htm

And:

http://www.tvhandbook.com/History/History_mullin.htm

Frank Dresser

Old October 18th 04, 11:31 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Frank Dresser wrote:

"Gray Shockley" wrote in message
s.com...

There were magnetic tape recordings used during World War 2.

That's true. When I wrote "practically nobody had recording equipment back
then", I was refering to individuals. Of course, there was also alot of
professional disk recording equipment around in the US.

Back when I was in college, the main library there had magazines in the
stacks going back to just after WW II, mostly the Gernsback ones (what
later became Radio-Electronics). One issue, of probably Radio News,
had a feature on a field reporters sound recorder that used phonograph
type mechanical cutting on a flexible tape. About the size of a suitcase
or portable typewriter. I think the tape was continuous, threaded on a
bunch of pulleys.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

my shortwave radio was confiscated by the Canadian Border Patrol Mediaguy500 Shortwave 24 May 15th 04 04:49 AM
I wonder... mike Shortwave 8 September 5th 03 04:38 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Joe S. Shortwave 2 July 18th 03 04:50 AM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? Dxing Since 1957 Shortwave 0 July 4th 03 05:37 PM
WHERE ARE ALL THE TOUGH GUYS IN THIS SHORTWAVE NEWSGROUP? LLOYD DAVIES N0VFP General 0 July 4th 03 04:21 PM