Old October 21st 04, 07:00 AM
Mike Terry

Default Morse code 'alive and well'

By Brady Haran
BBC iCan reporter

Morse code seems to be the communication method that just won't die.

The maritime industry stopped using the code years ago and radio hams are no
longer required to pass a Morse test to obtain a UK licence.

But a dedicated band of amateurs - and a large number of people with
disabilities - are helping keep the dot-dash system alive.

Leicester-based radio ham David Ramsey told BBC News Online: "One country
after another dropped the code, but on the amateur side it seems to be
picking up again.

"People who mainly use their voice (on radio) like the idea of picking it
up... they know there is a lot of Morse going on and they wonder what it is
all about.

"It is curiosity that is bringing them back."

It is difficult to find a clear spot on many of the popular bands

In a bizarre merger of technologies, there are even people sending Morse
messages via the Internet.

Radio hams with disabilities are another group utilising Morse code.

Tapping out dots and dashes can sometimes be easier for people with physical
or speech impediments.

John Hammond, from the Radio Amateurs Invalid and Blind Association, said
some radio users used Morse keys which are modified to suit their
disabilities.

"I remember a chap who couldn't speak and was totally paralysed, but he was
able to use his Morse key with his tongue, which was marvellous.

"Another chap, known as Twinkle Toes, could use his big toe... I think that
was the only part of his body that he could use."

George Longden, secretary of the Morse Code Preservation Society in the UK,
said his dream would be for radio hams to be required to pass a Morse test.

He said: "My prime wish will never be granted - the resumption of a CW
(Morse) examination for all amateurs aspiring to a licence to operate on all
HF bands between 1.8 and 30MHz."

Despite this, the society is attempting to teach Morse to new radio users.

"We support an initiative which offers authenticated speed tests.

"It will provide for tests of varying speeds at rallies and conventions
throughout the country and we are also endeavouring to encourage other
countries to undertake similar services."

Mr Longden said the airwaves remain clogged with Morse users.

"(Morse code) is still very much alive and it is difficult to find a clear
spot on many of the popular bands during an international contest.

"If you don't believe me then listen on most weekends."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/3759672.stm

Old October 21st 04, 10:21 AM
Hushup in Cornwall

I am currently training for a foundation licence and will certainly be
required toi pass a morse test !!!!
John

Old October 21st 04, 05:52 PM
William Mutch

In article , miketerry73
@btinternet.com says...
By Brady Haran
BBC iCan reporter

Morse code seems to be the communication method that just won't die.

The maritime industry stopped using the code years ago and radio hams are no
longer required to pass a Morse test to obtain a UK licence.

But a dedicated band of amateurs - and a large number of people with
disabilities - are helping keep the dot-dash system alive.

There was recently a discussion on the boatanchors newsgroup about
lobbying for amateur CW and MCW only operating privilges in a band going
down frequency from 510 khz to about 415 khz, where the still active
aeronautical beacon services still transmit, with 500 khz being
researved for its traditional role as the calling and distress freq for
maritime mobile and marine shore stations. The traditional operating
rules, silent period, and Q signals would be mandated, but amateur
maritime mobile and shore stations would be allowed to share these freqs
with the commercial users still extant. This idea is thought of as a
living memorial to the generations of marine operators who made up
radio's "senior service."
I haven't heard any real traffic on 500 khz for several years
although I do still listen there occasionally and am told that some
Russians and Chinese still use this historic technology. Although I
never shipped under the ticket I once held a marine radiotelegraph 2nd
license (learners permit) and remember the utility of regular news
broadcasts in morse from CFH (Canadian Forces Halifax).
Morse came very close to becoming a true international language
because *everyone* had to learn it as a second language from their
mother tongue and a well developed series of international treaties and
agreements about Q signals enabled cooperation for both routine and
emergency marine operations.
The 30 meter ham band is to some extent serving to perpetuate both
the fun and the utility of morse, but I'd still like to see 500 khz
permanently dedicated to maritime mobile morse. Since commercial
interests have almost totally updated this falls to those of us amateurs
who still care.

Old October 22nd 04, 12:05 AM
Desmoface

I love cw, while only an average operator, I hope they never get rid of the cw
portion of the amateur bands..

kb8viv
Old October 23rd 04, 03:04 AM
Desmoface

I believe CW is allowed anywhere on the ham bands. Could be wrong but I don't
think so.

it is but there are also cw only portions of the bands.

kb8viv