Old October 31st 04, 07:17 AM
http://www.aussieseek.com

Default Swiss Radio is DEAD

Swiss Radio trades waves for web
Switzerland is ending almost 70 years of broadcasting around the world
today, with Swiss Radio International airing its last programs on
shortwave and satellite.

From Monday, the media organisation's information output will be
available only online.

Swiss Radio International started broadcasting in 1935.

It made a name for itself as a neutral broadcaster during World War
Two and the Cold War.

Under the name Swissinfo, it will now be available online in nine
languages.
Old October 31st 04, 06:50 PM
Al Arduengo

Dan wrote:

On 31 Oct 2004 00:17:51 -0700,
(
http://www.aussieseek.com) wrote:

Under the name Swissinfo, it will now be available online in nine
languages.

So then it's not really dead, is it? Just changing to a more
cost-effective, higher quality, no fading, no static medium. As
everyone else will, eventually. Deal with it.

Dan

Kind of a ****y attitude, isn't it? It *is* sad that it is no longer
available in it's original platform - radio. I see no reason to act so
gruff.

--
~/.signature
Old November 1st 04, 02:51 AM
Michael Lawson

"Dan" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 18:50:12 GMT, Al Arduengo
wrote:

Kind of a ****y attitude, isn't it? It *is* sad that it is no

longer
available in it's original platform - radio. I see no reason to

act so
gruff.

Yeah, I know. But it's just that everyone seems so Shocked,

Shocked
to discover that gambling is going on here, er, I mean that

shortwave
stations are shutting down!

Of *course* they are shutting down their broadcasts. They all will
eventually, as they move to satellit and/or internet broadcasting.
It's sad, yes, but there's no denying that it is progress.

All depends on who they want to reach. If they don't want
to reach the people in other countries who can't afford a
computer with an internet connection with enough bandwidth
for streaming, then that's their decision.

--Mike L.

Old November 2nd 04, 01:09 AM
starman

"http://www.aussieseek.com" wrote:

Swiss Radio trades waves for web
Switzerland is ending almost 70 years of broadcasting around the world
today, with Swiss Radio International airing its last programs on
shortwave and satellite.

From Monday, the media organisation's information output will be
available only online.

Swiss Radio International started broadcasting in 1935.

It made a name for itself as a neutral broadcaster during World War
Two and the Cold War.

Under the name Swissinfo, it will now be available online in nine
languages.

Did anyone on the group actually hear SRI's last shortwave transmission?
What was the time, frequency and target area? I tried to find this info'
before the fact but came up empty. Seems like SRI cancelled their
program schedule well in advance of the last transmission.

Old November 2nd 04, 12:43 PM
Frank Dresser

"Dan" wrote in message

So then it's not really dead, is it? Just changing to a more
cost-effective, higher quality, no fading, no static medium. As
everyone else will, eventually. Deal with it.

Dan

I wouldn't say everyone will be going to satellites or the internet. When
it comes to cutting costs, shutting down the entire operation is even more
efficient than just turning off the SW transmitters.

Frank Dresser

Old November 3rd 04, 12:48 PM
Jonathan

It will be sad when I can't listen to radio...... on the radio.

I have a computer.... I have the bandwith.... but I choose not to have
to sit by my computer to listen to the radio. I listen to shortwave
while mobile as well - blows away what I have on local radio.

If I can't get it over the airwaves, then I guess I just won't get it
at all.

Regarding their content on their last broadcast. I think I caught it
accidentally - or didn't see it in any shortwave schedules, but I
heard something. Essentially, it wasn't new programming, just a recap
of highlights from their past 70 years and some of the history of the
station itself.

Jonathan

Old November 6th 04, 03:49 AM
Steve

Don't worry. Wherever there's bandwidth of any kind, there'll always
be someone waiting in the wings to fill it. That's something, like
death and taxes, that you can always count on.

Mind you, what they fill that bandwidth with might be very different
from what once filled it, but that's what keeps things interesting.

Steve