Old November 7th 04, 03:01 PM
Brian Hill

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

"Sir Cumference" wrote in message

Wonder how they powered that S40B with all the tubes?

I don't exactly remember, but it was an early episode, so I suppose there
was enough juice left in the Minnow's batteries to run a dynamotor.

I also don't know who sabotaged the plan. Might it have been the

Professor,
who was enjoyed studying the flora and fauna of the island, and certainly
enjoyed the brand new experience of being the most eligible male on a
paradise island with two beautiful women? Mr. and Mrs. Howell, who were
finally able to enjoy their marriage after Mr. Howell's forced

"retirement"
from the grueling 24 hour responsibilities of running Howell Industries?
Ginger, whose Hollywood career was going nowhere fast, and now had to
compete with a younger generation of shapely airheads for B-movie and
C-movie roles? The Skipper might have been faking his sleepwalking in

that
episode in order to avoid the ugly mainland questions about his competence
as a Sea Captain. Even Gilligan might have had a dim glimmer of

perception
that his uncanny ability to screw up at exactly the critical moment was
useful only to his friends on the island.

I say they were all in on it.

The tragedy of Gilligan's Island, one that we rrs can fully appreciate, is
that Mary Ann was too naive to see that she was surrounded by selfish
dead-enders who were abusing her trust and stealing her chance to have a
normal life.

The children laughed while watching Gilligan's Island because the shows

had
a facile sort of comedy. The critics hated it because they're idiots.

But
the discerning conspiratorialist can see the show for a metaphor of life

as
it really is.

Sherwood Schwartz was a genius.

Frank Dresser

I think I remember some type of human powered generator. It looked like an
exercise bike made of bamboo.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old November 7th 04, 03:05 PM
Brian Hill

"Jon Lippert" wrote in message
Greetings! I seem to remember Giligan riding a bicycle to generate power

for
something; maybe the radio. All those years with neither Ginger or Mary

Ann
getting pregnant? Maybe the only nuts there were the ones that the

professor
tried to make power from. By the way; where did the bicycle come from?

That's what I remember too.

B.H.

Old November 7th 04, 04:39 PM
Michael Black

"Frank Dresser" ) writes:
"lsmyer" wrote in message

Also, this radio contained some amazing self-generating batteries. They
never ran low, despite the fact that there was no AC plug available for
charging purposes, nor did it have any type of crank-based charging
mechanism. It's possible that the batteries might have been the product of

secret military cold-war era attempt at attaining a self-sustaining,
zero-point energy equilibrium.

Ah, that's the easy part. Those 60s transistor radios didn't use much
current. I've got an old Silvertone from that era, and it draws less than
15 mils at low volume settings. It's powered with six D cells, and alkaline
cells would run the radio for two to four hours a day for over a year. Half
an hour a week for a couple of years? Piece o' cake.

That's a good point. QST ran a review of the Baygen windup radio, and pointed
out for the curious that the generator put out very limited power. The
key was a radio that didn't draw much current, and one reason for that
was that the radio put out no more than soemthing like 50mW of audio.

Your point about D cells is also useful. Go back to that vintage, and many
a radio did look like a radio, big and "powerful" so it had the space for
D cells. We've gotten so used to pocket radios that run off 9volt batteries
or a pair of AA cells that we forget that there was a time when much
bigger batteries were part of the radio.

But as has been pointed out, there were various episodes dealing with powering
the radio.

Michael

Old November 7th 04, 07:28 PM
JuLiE Dxer

Does Yoko Ono count ??

sumimasen

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 22:21:08 -0330, "Terry"
wrote:

I like the voice of the female I'm listening to on radio Japan at 17825
right now.

Telamon
Ventura, California

Tokyo Rose; maybe?

Old November 7th 04, 07:30 PM
JuLiE Dxer

holy cow!

only 15 mils current pull ?

I imagine that'd last a good while !

Old November 7th 04, 09:57 PM
lsmyer

Thanks for that link. I'll save that one for posterity's sake!

Old November 7th 04, 10:09 PM
lsmyer

Forget those young girls... I'm a Lovey Man myself.

Mrs Howell had enough money for us to buy the entire South Pacific if we
wanted.

One properly placed poisonous spider in her old man's bunk, and the Widow
Howell and I would soon be free of that old coot forever.

Of course Lovey would need to watch for spiders herself once I got my hands
on the Howell fortune.

Old November 7th 04, 11:22 PM
Someone

"Lee Smith" wrote in message ...

This [Ginger or Mary Ann] debate has been timeless...

I'll say it is. Whenever I set up a new server for a client that includes
the SharePoint company web site, I always start things off by putting
up a survey entitled, "Ginger or Mary Ann?"

The sad thing is that there are beginning to be some people who don't get it.