Old November 16th 04, 02:52 AM
Mark S. Holden

Drifter wrote:

thanks for the info Joe. best radio i ever laid my hands on.
i my ask about that 7.0/6.5 filter. have been in email with
Richard. he is trying to locate a XTAL filter in japan for me.
i may do the install myself. i'll have to take a look inside
first. shortwave shop installed the daut. board prior to
shipment. i will look closer at the 330S. i'm also more on
the SW bands. by the way, which size torque fits the screws
in the case? i read it's easy to strip them out...
thanks Joe...
Drifter...

My 7030 uses an allen (hex) wrench for the case screws.

You can also use filters intended for the Racal 6790/gm or 6830 - though
they're large, and you'll need to hook them up with something like
RG-174. An advantage to using milspec filters is you're likely to be
able to get a better shape factor than you can on ones intended for the
consumer market.

If you'd like I could shoot a picture of how I installed the larger
filters in mine and put it up on my web space, but it'll take a couple
days for me to get around to it.

Old November 14th 04, 08:22 PM
big boy now

Thanks Joe
good reply you have answered my questions i may well get the
1530 version but i am first waiting for a spec sheet for a DX-1 Pro.
i will look over the two antennas and them make my final decision on what
one to buy..
i am using the AR5000A+3 great all round receiver but i may after the
Christmas is out of the way invest in a dedicated HF receiver how do you
find the AR7030....just what is the difference in the 7030 and the 7030+ is
the + version worth the extra cash.....
with a little bit of luck i may get the welbrook at the end of this week.
as were i am located the conditions are terrible at this time i have just
turned my receiver on and well its turned off again can not hear much. to
much interference on most of the HF band....
lets hope a new antenna will improve my situation...

Thanks: John

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
om...
Hello John,

I have no experience with the Dressler antennas, but I own a Wellbrook
ALA 330S Active Loop Antenna. This is the best overall antenna I have
ever used. (At one time, when I lived in a ranch-style home, I was
able to run a 100-foot wire mounted at the very top of the attic; my
Wellbrook, also attic-mounted in my small townhouse, performs better,
overall, especially in the summer. It really attenuates atmospheric
and local electrical noise, which is present in abundance at my
location.)

It probably is not really necessary to mount the antenna on a rotator.
I mounted mine on a Radio Shack $100 model, but I have found that I
rarely use it. I mostly listen to SW 49 meters and down. (I do find it
useful to rotate the antenna when listening to the 60 and 75 meter
tropical bands.) You can always manually rotate the antenna if you put
it in your attic. Note: PASSPORT says the Wellbrook works best if
mounted outdoors, but this is not an option for me. They also say that
attic-mounting is a very tempting alternative. They are quite correct
in that assessment. My antenna works extremely well. S/N is far better
than any other antenna I have tried at my current location (I must use
an indoor antenna as our very active homeowners' association forbids
outdoor antennas except for small satellite dishes, and even they must
be approved on a case-by-case basis).

You do need to supply your own coaxial cable, but this is not a major
consideration.

I read on some postings here that some people can't believe the
Wellbrook is wide-ranging in frequency coverage as claimed (3 - 30
MHz). Take it from me - it is! Even on MW (on which I do very little
DXing), it is quite good.

My receiver is an AOR AR7030 Plus. I also sometimes use a Grundig
Satellit 800 with this antenna.

Obviously, I am very pleased with the antenna. I bought mine from THE
SHORTWAVE SHOP in the UK. In my opinion, they are a first-class
operation. You can telephone (or e-mail) them with any questions or
concerns about the Wellbrook antennas.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Best,

Joe

"big boy now" wrote in message
I am looking to buy a good active antenna..
i have looked at a few Antennas on the net.
but you can look all you like there is nothing better than advice of
current
users.. the main two antennas i have been looking at are.
dressler Active antennas and also wellbrook Active antennas
the wellbrook is an active loop antenna for HF use.
the dressler is a short active vertical...
what is the better antenna users comments only please.
if i buy the wellbrook active loop would i need to mount this on a rotor.
or can anybody recommend a better Active antenna to buy.
i have about £250.00 to spend on the antennas and any cabling and
connectors
i may need to buy.....
i am living very close to Heathrow airport in the uk .
i am using an AR5000 receiver ....
any advice would be more than welcome...
Thanks: john

Old November 14th 04, 09:33 PM
TMartin831

much interference on most of the HF band....
lets hope a new antenna will improve my situation...

not likely !!! hope you aren't expecting miracles with the wellbrook
Old November 18th 04, 01:27 AM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello John,

Sorry for the somewhat delayed reply but I have had some family
problems and have not been using my computer.

The AOR AR7030 Plus is indeed a superb receiver, in my opinion, fully
as good as any "professional" receiver. The "Plus" version is
definitely worth the extra money. Here are the differences (copied
from AOR UK's website):

* Increased balance of the mixer for greatest IP2 & IP3
* High tolerance 0.1% components in DDS ladder for low noise
* Enhanced RF attenuator operation for minimal intermod
* Higher spec wire aerial input transformer for minimal mixing
products
* Ceramic metal cased 4 kHz (displayed) AM filter fitted as
standard (typical bandwidths: 2.2kHz, 4.0 kHz, 5.3kHz
9.5kHz)
* Bourns optical encoder for the smoothest DX tuning
* Features CPU fitted, 400 memories, multi timers & alpha tag

It would be wise to telephone AOR UK at 011 44 1629 581222 and speak
with Richard Hillier directly. He can assist you in choosing the
options needed (if any) which will meet your requirements. He can also
recommend some shops where you can purchase the receiver (I bought
mine from THE SHORTWAVE SHOP; their telephone number is 011 44 1629
581222. Ask for Rob Burrows, but, if he's not there, they have a
number of helpful technicians.) (The telephone numbers are what I use
from the US; in the UK the prefixes can be dropped.) (You can e-mail
both of these individuals; you can get their e-mail addresses from
their websites [use Google to find them if you do not know them], but,
frankly, I personally still prefer "talking" to a real person about so
expensive and important a purchase. Both of those gentlemen are REAL
gentlemen and are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.)

You're lucky living in the UK; purchasing the receiver will be
somewhat easier for you as you may even be able to visit a shop to see
the receiver first-hand and speak to informed salespeople.

Definitely consider buying the Notch Filter/Noise Blanker option. I
don't use the noise blanker too much, but I use the Notch Filter
extensively; you won't believe what that filter can do until you've
tried it. It's WELL worth the extra money (though I feel it should be
standard on the radio).

Make sure you check with them about the advisability of including DRM
in the receiver; my receiver does not have it, but, of course, any
AR7030 can be upgraded to DRM at the factory if DRM ever takes off (I
hope it does NOT!).

Also, if you buy the AR7030 Plus, make sure you contact Jan Arkesteijn
in The Netherlands about his fantastic RxWings Computer Control
Program which makes the AR7030, already a very advanced receiver, into
a fantastic one. The program incorporates facilities into the receiver
which are not present without it (such as scanning - at any rate and
with any configuration you like!). What's more, RxWings is totally
FREE!!! (Don't buy AOR's now-outdated and expensive computer program;
it's had its day!)

If you have any other questions with which I can be of assistance,
please don't hesitate to contact me.

All the best,

Joe

Old November 18th 04, 01:39 AM
Joe Analssandrini

[...]

P.S. The geomagnetic storm of the past week has raised havoc with the
shortwave bands. Reception has been just dreadful and has nothing
whatsoever to do with your current receiver or antenna; I've
mostly been
listening to my records and tapes but conditions do appear to be
improving. I even heard a 2 kw Brazilian domestic station on the
60-meter
band (4885 kHz) last night.

Old November 18th 04, 09:10 AM
starman

Joe Analssandrini wrote:

The AOR AR7030 Plus is indeed a superb receiver, in my opinion, fully
as good as any "professional" receiver.

Have you ever used a 'professional' receiver?

Old November 18th 04, 10:21 AM
big boy now

have i ever used a professional receiver yes i have.
my present receiver set up is as follows.

1) AOR AR5000A+3 new model
2) AOR SDU5600 FFT Display unit.
3) MFJ Tunable DSP..

have you ever use one your self. i have owned many receivers including the
ICOM IC-R9000....tentek and many more .

John.

"starman" wrote in message
Joe Analssandrini wrote:

The AOR AR7030 Plus is indeed a superb receiver, in my opinion, fully
as good as any "professional" receiver.

Have you ever used a 'professional' receiver?

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups