Old November 11th 04, 11:03 PM
Mark

Default 8993 - Micronesia...

11 Nov 09:10 UTC 8993 kHz USB - "Pohnpei Seventy-Three, this is Micronesia,

over". The Pohnpei station replied that reception was difficult. (Both

stations were easily audible into Auckland, and the Micronesia station was

very loud.) Micronesia recommended a channel change, to "channel 13". A few

minutes later, he was back calling "Pohnpei 73" again. But no luck this

time, no response from Pohnpei.

Then, at 09:33 UTC, "Micronesia" tries "73" again. No luck. So he tries "72,

72, this is Micronesia for radio check, over". 72 responds, saying its

difficult to receive "Micronesia". "Micronesia" says "change to channel

seventy-one, over".

Anybody heard this before? One of my radios was parked on 8992, which needs

no explanation, when I heard this. These guys were pretty loose with their

radio jargon and discipline. Didn't sound like LDOC/AOC.

Mark.

Auckland

New Zealand.

Old November 12th 04, 01:45 AM
DesignGuy

"Mark" wrote in message
11 Nov 09:10 UTC 8993 kHz USB - "Pohnpei Seventy-Three, this is

Micronesia,
One of my radios was parked on 8992, which needs no explanation, when I

heard this.

Okay, what's on 8992?

Old November 12th 04, 03:37 AM
michael agner

This is one of the Global HF System military freqs; would be very
interesting to find out what this really was.....

73s Mike

Old November 12th 04, 05:22 AM
Mark

8992 is part of the US Air Force Global HF System.
I had one radio sitting on that frequency when I got some major QRM. Once
tuned, it was 8993, with the Micronesia traffic mentioned.

Mark.
Auckland, New Zealand.