Old November 15th 04, 12:14 PM
dxAce

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

Brenda Ann Dyer wrote:

Stereophile22 wrote:

The thing is their was kids walkie talkies transmitting on the same
frequency
as the ham radio in this episode.

Was this a goof in the erpisode, or did some kids walkie talkies
actually use
certain ham radio frequencies back in the 60's (although at much

lower
power,
of course).

The oldest kids walkie talkies that I remember used 49 MHz.

Comedy television aside, there is an off possibility that Herman's ham
equipment could have communicated with kid's walkie talkies. If he had

old
ham gear, it may have had the 11m ham band (part of which became the 11m
Citizens Band) Kid's walkie talkies of that era operated mostly on

27.125
MHz (CB channel 14). There were some fancier ones (and much higher cost)
that had up to three channels. These almost always ended up being

channels
9, 11, & 14. Some Japanese talkies came stock with channel 9 crystals..

and
kids used to catch some hell in the early 70's because channel 9 is an
emergency traffic channel.

Remember... it was a TV show... it doesn't have to have a basis in

reality.

Repeat that 20 times and you'll be OK.

Take note, Steve, of the first three words in my above paragraph. I made the
comment that in spite of the fact that it was purely an entertainment show,
and not based on fact, that a ham rig made previous to the time the Munsters
was running could indeed have communicated with a kid's walkie talkie. I
used to have such a rig.

Me too! But my comment still stands as fact.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 15th 04, 04:23 PM
Michael Black

"Brenda Ann Dyer" ) writes:

Take note, Steve, of the first three words in my above paragraph. I made the
comment that in spite of the fact that it was purely an entertainment show,
and not based on fact, that a ham rig made previous to the time the Munsters
was running could indeed have communicated with a kid's walkie talkie. I
used to have such a rig.

But I didn't think the question was about whether it was technically possible.
One doesn't really need an explanation of how a ham might have CB equipment.

But it wouldn't have been legal, as you know. If he put his ham rig on CB,
then he's breaking the law (because it's not type approved, because it has
higher power, because it might be VFO controlled).

There is no reason how he could communicate with license free walkie talkies,
except if there was an emergency.

Michael