Old November 15th 04, 03:01 AM
uncle arnie

Default who are SW listeners?

I'm guessing mostly people who wake at night and need something to do other
than waking the wife (or husband).
Old November 15th 04, 02:55 AM
The Axelrods

uncle arnie wrote:

I'm guessing mostly people who wake at night and need something to do other
than waking the wife (or husband).

Or people who like to get several points of view on world affairs.

Or people who enjoy listening to various kinds of music.

Or people who like listening to military or utility stations

The list goes on and on......

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old November 15th 04, 04:28 AM
tommyknocker

The Axelrods wrote:

uncle arnie wrote:

I'm guessing mostly people who wake at night and need something to do other
than waking the wife (or husband).

Or people who like to get several points of view on world affairs.

Or people who enjoy listening to various kinds of music.

Or people who like listening to military or utility stations

The list goes on and on......

How about people too poor to afford internet access and satellite radio,
or people outside the range of AM, FM and TV, or people who live in
repressive regimes where only one point of view is broadcast locally, or
people who are all three?

Old November 15th 04, 05:55 AM
Stereophile22

I've been listening to shortwave radio broadcasts sine the summer of
1984,

I first listened to shortwave either in te late 60's or early 70's.

I once read that Americans are the *least* knowledgable about the rest
of the world than the other way around.

I think that idea isn't true and that foreigners just think that.

However, it probably will be true for a lot of Americans if the foreigners keep
getting rid of their shortwave broadcasts and their English language shortwave
broadcasts.

Not everyone has a computer.

And I don't see a lot of people with satellite dishes, either.

And DirectTV had very little foreign originated stuff.

Old November 15th 04, 06:54 AM
m II

Stereophile22 wrote:

I once read that Americans are the *least* knowledgable about the rest
of the world than the other way around.

I think that idea isn't true and that foreigners just think that.

Sadly, you may be very wrong.

When more than 300 young Americans in the survey were shown a blank
world map and asked to indicate the location of the United States,
only 89 percent could do so.
Other findings from the survey:

* 34 percent of the young Americans knew that the island used on
last season's "Survivor" show was located in the South Pacific, but
only 30 percent could locate the state of New Jersey on a map. The
"Survivor" show's location was the Marquesas Islands in the eastern
South Pacific.
* When asked to find 10 specific states on a map of the United
States, only California and Texas could be located by a large majority
of those surveyed. Both states were correctly located by 89 percent of
the participants. Only 51 percent could find New York, the third most
populous state.
* On a world map, Americans could find on average only seven of
16 countries in the quiz. Swedes could find an average of 13 of the 16
countries.
* Only 71 percent of the surveyed Americans could locate the
Pacific Ocean, the world's largest body of water. Worldwide, three in
10 of those surveyed could not correctly locate the Pacific Ocean.
* Although 81 percent of the surveyed Americans knew that the
Middle East is the Earth's largest oil exporter, only 24 percent could
find Saudi Arabia on the map.

http://www.wfsb.com/Global/story.asp?S=1020584

mike

However, it probably will be true for a lot of Americans if the foreigners keep
getting rid of their shortwave broadcasts and their English language shortwave
broadcasts.

Not everyone has a computer.

And I don't see a lot of people with satellite dishes, either.

And DirectTV had very little foreign originated stuff.

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'

Old November 15th 04, 03:35 PM
David

An ignorant populace is essential for the fascists to be able to stay
in power. That's why we have the hideous fake news on TV.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:54:03 GMT, m II
wrote:

Stereophile22 wrote:

[...]

================================================= =

mike

Old November 15th 04, 03:42 PM
dxAce

David wrote:

An ignorant populace is essential for the fascists to be able to stay
in power. That's why we have the hideous fake news on TV.

Do you watch it, 'tard boy? If so, why? If not, then how would you know it is fake,
'tard boy?

Always LMFAO at the stupid 'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 15th 04, 10:09 PM
m II

dxAce wrote:

Always LMFAO at the stupid 'tard boy.

I see you've found yet ANOTHER activity for your nether regions. Pervert.

mike

Old November 15th 04, 11:56 PM
Bluesea

"m II" wrote in message

Sadly, you may be very wrong.

When more than 300 young Americans in the survey were shown a blank
world map and asked to indicate the location of the United States,
only 89 percent could do so.
Other findings from the survey:

* 34 percent of the young Americans knew that the island used on
last season's "Survivor" show was located in the South Pacific, but
only 30 percent could locate the state of New Jersey on a map. The
"Survivor" show's location was the Marquesas Islands in the eastern
South Pacific.
* When asked to find 10 specific states on a map of the United
States, only California and Texas could be located by a large majority
of those surveyed. Both states were correctly located by 89 percent of
the participants. Only 51 percent could find New York, the third most
populous state.

This reminds me of Summer Y2K when I was in Honolulu trying to talk to a man
in WA. I got his wife and left a message which included a request that he
call me after 11 a.m. his time since I was 3 hours behind and wanted to be
awake and functioning when we talked.

So, he calls me the next morning at 5 a.m. HST/8 a.m. PDT because he figured
that his wife surely got the message wrong since nobody's west of WA
g-r-o-a-n.

--
~~Bluesea~~