Old November 22nd 04, 12:41 PM
Lucky

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
patgkz wrote:

There is a reason for that.

His 2nd ebay ID is gottahaveit1995. He was shill-bidding (bidding up his
own equipment) with the gottahaveit1995 ID early this year and was dumped
off of ebay, thus the "Summer vacation".

If you dig really deep into radio-mart's feedback history, you will find
one
little mistake made by Mr. Martyn: he gave HIMSELF feedback. About two
three years back gottahaveit1995 listed a feedback report for a purchase
from radio-mart (himself). Check current 30-day buying history of
gottahaveit1995, look at serial numbers of Drake, Collins......two weeks
later the same radio, same serial, is for sale at radio-mart.

Reason for "private buyer list": quite obvious if you want to bid up your
own stuff!

Who knows how many other ebay ID's this guy has.

Private auctions do make it harder for people to detect shill bidding, but
I suspect the main reason he's going for private auctions is some folks
here were talking about contacting his bidders to "warn them" about his
history.

Many folks won't bid on private auctions, so this will probably reduce his
profits.

I see nothing wrong with someone buying an item that's poorly listed for
resale, or with buying an item, fixing it, and then reselling it for a
profit.

The problem is it appears the main thing Martyn does is puff up the
descriptions and leave out any mention of flaws noted by the previous
owner.

But his auctions can be entertaining. I've seen him mention listening to
historical events happen on a particular radio a decade before the radio
was introduced.

I'll tell you something. This guy does not know much about radios like you
said. He had 2 R-5000's for sale once. One stock and one with 3 optional
filters. I asked him what filters were in there and his reply was, "I don't
have the time to take it all apart to check"

Take it "all apart?" How about a few screws and lift the top off. How can
you be a radio jock and not want to know and list the filters for sale on
your own radio??? I don't think he knows much at all.

Lucky

Old November 22nd 04, 12:56 PM
Mark S. Holden

dxAce wrote:

"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

patgkz wrote:

There is a reason for that.

His 2nd ebay ID is gottahaveit1995. He was shill-bidding (bidding up his
own equipment) with the gottahaveit1995 ID early this year and was dumped
off of ebay, thus the "Summer vacation".

If you dig really deep into radio-mart's feedback history, you will find one
little mistake made by Mr. Martyn: he gave HIMSELF feedback. About two to
[...]

I'd like to read one of those, but it's probably expired by now,

dxAce
Michigan
USA

The last one I saw was at least a month before he was naru'd.

Old November 22nd 04, 04:36 PM
Brian Hill

"Lucky" wrote in message

I'll tell you something. This guy does not know much about radios like you
said. He had 2 R-5000's for sale once. One stock and one with 3 optional
filters. I asked him what filters were in there and his reply was, "I

don't
have the time to take it all apart to check"

Take it "all apart?" How about a few screws and lift the top off. How can
you be a radio jock and not want to know and list the filters for sale on
your own radio??? I don't think he knows much at all.

Lucky

He's no real radio man, That's for sure. He's a poser.

--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

EMAIL-
(Hide the $100 to reply!)

Old November 22nd 04, 04:56 PM
Mark S. Holden

patgkz wrote:

[...]

It's possible he was busy. It's also possible he figured the information wouldn't help maximize his profit.

For example, if a dealer had a bunch of spare 1.8khz filters in stock, he could put three of them in one radio and claim it had 3 extra filters.
Old November 22nd 04, 05:47 PM
Brian Hill

Well its obvious Radio-Mart is gottahaveit1995. A very rare silverface SX-28
is bought by gottahaveit1995 and Radio-Mart just sold it.

Here gottahaveit1995 buys it:

Here Radio-Mart is selling it a couple weeks latter:

Old November 22nd 04, 11:07 PM
the captain

I agree that there are two reasons to do this:

1) so no one can contact the bidders
2) so no one can monitor his actions

also notice that only some of his auctions are private, is this a clue ?

the captain

many of his auctions are now PRIVATE, meaning only he can see the bidders

Old November 23rd 04, 11:53 AM
patgkz

Here's a real good one, not only do you resell the radio....you "resell" the
item description. Read carefully and have a good laugh. Here is the same
Drake R-4C, same serial number for sale some ten days later.

gottahaveit1995 buys Drake R-4C serial 28034:

radio-mart sells Drake R-4C serial 28034:

For more radio-mart fun, pull up the buying history of gottahaveit1995 by
viewing his "completed auctions" for the last 30-days, only registered eBay
members can pull up the buying history of another member. You will see all
the RME, Halli, Drake, Collins now on sale at radio-mart. Notice how the
Drake in question above goes from "this is not collector quality" to
"collector quality".....

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
news
many of his auctions are now PRIVATE, meaning only he can see the bidders

Old November 23rd 04, 12:55 PM
Mark S. Holden

patgkz wrote:

Here's a real good one, not only do you resell the radio....you "resell" the
item description. Read carefully and have a good laugh. Here is the same
Drake R-4C, same serial number for sale some ten days later.

gottahaveit1995 buys Drake R-4C serial 28034:

radio-mart sells Drake R-4C serial 28034:

For more radio-mart fun, pull up the buying history of gottahaveit1995 by
viewing his "completed auctions" for the last 30-days, only registered eBay
members can pull up the buying history of another member. You will see all
the RME, Halli, Drake, Collins now on sale at radio-mart. Notice how the
Drake in question above goes from "this is not collector quality" to
"collector quality".....

He mentions having a reserve of $650, but the auction doesn't show a
reserve.

I imagine if you contact him about reselling the radio he just bought
with a puffed up description he'll explain he has three of these radios
with the same serial number, and he's selling a different one.

Old November 24th 04, 02:32 AM
tommyknocker

patgkz wrote:

Here's a real good one, not only do you resell the radio....you "resell" the
item description. Read carefully and have a good laugh. Here is the same
Drake R-4C, same serial number for sale some ten days later.

gottahaveit1995 buys Drake R-4C serial 28034:

radio-mart sells Drake R-4C serial 28034:

For more radio-mart fun, pull up the buying history of gottahaveit1995 by
viewing his "completed auctions" for the last 30-days, only registered eBay
members can pull up the buying history of another member. You will see all
the RME, Halli, Drake, Collins now on sale at radio-mart. Notice how the
Drake in question above goes from "this is not collector quality" to
"collector quality".....

Americans will buy anything if the pitch is good. Look at Ebay and the
recent presidential election for proof.

Old November 24th 04, 10:14 PM
Brian Hill

"tommyknocker" wrote in message

Americans will buy anything if the pitch is good. Look at Ebay and the
recent presidential election for proof.

Yea but I can install an alarm system and repair any damn radio you put in
front of me.